View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 62 - Thursday lunch training camp workout #10

Rate this Entry
I enjoyed my lay-in this morning and woke around 7am with just enough time to wish my kids a great day before they headed out the door for school. My wife and I had breakfast together and I headed to the pool at 10am. The original plan was weights and dry land followed by a 3k swim with the power tower machine. About half way through the power tower work my coach came over and said the school district cancelled all after school activities and as such the pool would be closing at 3.30 today and the seniors practice was cancelled. He also said that it was likely that the pool will be closed tomorrow if as the national weather center is predicting we get freezing rain. If that happens my training camp will be cut short, which sucks, but that's just the way it is and I have no control over mother nature. My coach also suggested I hop out after the power tower and grab some cliff bars and rehydrate and then hop back in for another 4k, so we at least get a decent amount of yardage and quality for the day.

Weights was as equally tough as yesterday's workout. I tweaked something in my lower right side of my back so I eased off on the leg press. I also tried stretching between exercises. I currently have no pain and I am glad I backed off. We did our normal 3 circuits with 10,8,6 reps per circuit at 80%, max, fail.

3x(bench press, leg press, seated row hands inside, seated or hands outside, lat pull don hands inside, lat pull downs hands outside, tricep curls, bicep curls, pull ups)

The swim workout:

400 free with snorkel
12x50 on 45 breathing 3,5 by 25
8x75 kick on 1.20
12x25 with fins AFAP on 30
8x100 free on 1.25 concentrating on hand entry
10x50 power tower with 60lbs on 1min
10x50 power tower with 90lbs on 1.15
100 easy

Cliff bar and water break 10mins

8x100 kick with fins on 1.20
3x(2x200 on 2.15, 300 on 3.45 with snorkel, 4x50 drill, back on 50)
400 easy

Total 7000scy

The 75s kick I went 1 mins. The 25s with fins I held 10s and 11s and these felt pretty good. The 8x100s I concentrated on my hand entry and swam it with the snorkel. The power tower work was really tough, and doing these on a fast time made it even harder. It's weird but the 60lb swims we're harder than the 90lb swims. On round two I held 1min on the kick with fins. The 200s I held 1.05 pace throughout. The 300 I again focused on my hand entry. The 50s drill,back we're swum easy fast by 25 and despite being very tired I was pleased with my back which felt strong.

On one hand I am hoping we don't get the freezing rain so I can finish out the camp but on the other I am really not looking forward to racing the 500 tomorrow night based on how tired I am. Thus far I am sitting at just under 50k for the week with a lot of weight and strength work. On the balance I am hoping we don't get the rain and I can reach the end of the training camp.

Submit "Week 62 - Thursday lunch training camp workout #10" to Digg Submit "Week 62 - Thursday lunch training camp workout #10" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 62 - Thursday lunch training camp workout #10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 62 - Thursday lunch training camp workout #10" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

You'll be ready to race a 500 tomorrow so let's hope for no
    Well what a crazy 24hrs we had; not only was the meet cancelled today but it was also cancelled tomorrow. Our section of the Dallas metroplex went from 79F yesterday to 30F today with overnight freezing rain. We also lost power from 7am due to the ice storm and despite us having a wood burning fire it was a cold day. We finally got power back at 8.15pm. Fingers crossed we will not loose the power again tonight. Assuming the weather holds and the power stays on I am going to find a pool in the metroplex tomorrow. My hope is I can at least get a warm up swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Well what a crazy 24hrs we had; not only was the meet cancelled today but it was also cancelled tomorrow. Our section of the Dallas metroplex went from 79F yesterday to 30F today with overnight freezing rain. We also lost power from 7am due to the ice storm and despite us having a wood burning fire it was a cold day. We finally got power back at 8.15pm. Fingers crossed we will not loose the power again tonight. Assuming the weather holds and the power stays on I am going to find a pool in the metroplex tomorrow. My hope is I can at least get a warm up swim.
    The weather news last 48 hours were dominated by how cold it would get in Dallas as the cold front moves eastward. I suspected your weekend meet would be cancelled, but to experience power problems with that kind of weather is far beyond inconvenience. Of course I am hoping for warmer prospects and continuous power in your circumstances tonight, tomorrow, and the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    The weather news last 48 hours were dominated by how cold it would get in Dallas as the cold front moves eastward. I suspected your weekend meet would be cancelled, but to experience power problems with that kind of weather is far beyond inconvenience. Of course I am hoping for warmer prospects and continuous power in your circumstances tonight, tomorrow, and the weekend.
    I went out this morning to grab some groceries and the roads are mostly clear. There are a lot of trees down and it will no doubt take a few days for things to be cleaned up. I just received an email saying that tomorrow will be a timed final session and they are planning on doing almost the entire 3 day program tomorrow. It will be tough for the coaches and officials running a long day but it will still be fun. Based on the number of events I originally entered I may have to back off a couple of events, but should be able to swim the 500,200 and 100 free. My coach was very keen on me doing the 200 back for some reason so he may ask me to do that one instead of one of the free events.
    Our section of the Dallas metroplex went from 79F yesterday to 30F today with overnight freezing rain.
    That's nuts!

Been cold here, too. Not expected to get above freezing today. On the plus side it's been sunny.
    I went out this morning to grab some groceries and the roads are mostly clear. There are a lot of trees down and it will no doubt take a few days for things to be cleaned up. I just received an email saying that tomorrow will be a timed final session and they are planning on doing almost the entire 3 day program tomorrow. It will be tough for the coaches and officials running a long day but it will still be fun. Based on the number of events I originally entered I may have to back off a couple of events, but should be able to swim the 500,200 and 100 free. My coach was very keen on me doing the 200 back for some reason so he may ask me to do that one instead of one of the free events.
    If they're going to run the whole program, you should ask to get entered into the 200 Fly...just for fun, and 'cause there's a bet on USMS forums that you couldn't do it legally. <-- good excuse, right?
    Good luck on your swims if you get to swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    That's nuts!

Been cold here, too. Not expected to get above freezing today. On the plus side it's been sunny.
    We're lucky if we get much above 20 over here. At night it gets down into the single digits for temps. Cold times, but we do have heat...barely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    If they're going to run the whole program, you should ask to get entered into the 200 Fly...just for fun, and 'cause there's a bet on USMS forums that you couldn't do it legally. <-- good excuse, right?
    Good luck on your swims if you get to swim.
    i am not a betting man but I would bet against me doing it legally if I were. I can defiantly do a 200 fly but legally would be a real challenge.

I will fall back on; I don't have an A time so unfortunately can't deck enter it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    We're lucky if we get much above 20 over here. At night it gets down into the single digits for temps. Cold times, but we do have heat...barely.
    when I lived in Iowa and Boston the cities were setup for bad weather. Dallas is definitely not. My town does not even own any snow ploughs and I believe we may have one or two gritting trucks. It's almost humorous.