View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 62 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
My coach let me know that a number of the senior kids were planning on showing up and doing a non coached workout today and I was welcome to join them. I ended up doing about 3k with a mix of quality and drills. I actually felt very good.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
8x50 catchup drill on 45 focusing on my left hand entry
5x100 kick on 1.45

Main set
5x200 on 3 mins descend 1-5
10x50 drill free and back by 25 on 50
4x50 swum 25 AFAP, 25 easy

Warm down
200 easy

Total 3200scy

On the descending 200s I felt good throughout and worked on a big descend. My times were 2.30,2.20,2.10,1.57,1.54. My hand entry seems to a problem after I breath, and I come across my body which causes me to swim slightly left to right in the lane. I feel good at low speed working on this but suspect I am a long way away from this being a habit that just happens, especially at race pace. The fast 25s I did with a turn and was holding 12s to my feet.

After this workout I was getting psyched about the meet tomorrow but when i got home i received a text saying the meet had been cancelled. I am just really glad I did not make this my taper meet. I am very tempted to enter another meet after my taper meet in January just in case we have similar weather, and at least I can hold the taper for an extra week. Most of our senior kids are off to Junior Nationals next week so for them (luckily) missing this meet is no big deal either.

Hopefully I can find a pool to grab a swim tomorrow. I am off to LA on Monday night and will be swimming at a few pools during my two day trip. I am looking forward to visiting the UCLA pool; when I was in college they had a great men's program, but then they shut the program down.

Submit "Week 62 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 62 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 62 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 62 - Saturday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

1:54 on that last 200? Smokin! So what's your total for the week up to?

My senior year in college we did our training trip in the LA area and swam UCLA for our meet. I think they dropped the team the next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    1:54 on that last 200? Smokin! So what's your total for the week up to?My senior year in college we did our training trip in the LA area and swam UCLA for our meet. I think they dropped the team the next season.
    It's amazing how a day off made me feel so much better.

Due to the weather I lost a day and a half on the camp, so it was not quite as much as I planned, but it was still a lot of yardage with some good quality sets mixed in, and also a lot of weight training. Prior to the bad weather on Thursday I had swum just over 47k since Monday morning. So with todays workout it was just over 50k this week. If I add what I did last Friday and Saturday to my total through Thursday I swam just under 70k in a week. I have just over two weeks before I start my taper, so the challenge now is to hold my yardage, the weights and mix in some real quality sets.

We had a swimmer(Mike Johnson) transfer from UCLA my junior year; he was originally from Des Moines, IA. I also swam with a guy in the UK, Nick Shackell who was at UCLA his freshman year and had to move to Auburn after the program was cut.

I always find it a shame when programs get cut and UCLA was an awesome program. There were a few men's programs that got cut at the same time, such as Illinois. I am looking forward to swimming in the UCLA pool.
    Updated December 7th, 2013 at 07:49 PM by StewartACarroll
    http://www.chesapeakeswimclub.org/ok...103113%20A.pdf

Deadline is 12/11. Come throw down. If you enter the meet, I'll make sure I add at least one event that you are swimming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Deadline is 12/11. Come throw down. If you enter the meet, I'll make sure I add at least one event that you are swimming!
    As much as I would like to take you up on the offer, this meet does not work for me i am afraid. Do you know of a USAS meet in April/May of similar quality? I am not going to do Masters Spring Nationals this year and will be looking for a local meet in this timeframe where I can do a drop taper meet. It will be good to pick a meet we both focus on and then a couple of events we can race.
    I may not be entering any meets between mid march and may. That is usually when I am transitioning to LCM. If I do any meets, they certainly won't be meets I am tapering for. Two meets here in little rock that I know of would be the Hall of Fame Meet (late April, masters sanctioned only) and the LRAD Spring Invite in early May (LCM, USAS sanctioned).

I will be full tapering for Region VIIIs (Sectionals) in Tulsa in early March, but the meet may be "closed", meaning if you aren't a member of a Region VIII/Section 8 member LSC, you are barred from the competition.

Looks like at the moment, our schedules just keep clashing :P