View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 63 - Friday

Rate this Entry
I woke up this morning feeling a little congested but after getting up and moving I felt fine. I had one of those workouts today that was incredible. I had a number of firsts today and I felt awesome by the end.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
4x300 on 3.30 pull, descend 1-4
200 easy
10x100 free with fins on 1min
200 easy
16x50 kick on 50
5x100 from blocks on 2mins best average

Warm down
200 easy

Total 4800scy

On the descending 300s I went 3.12,3.06,3.01,2.56. To the best of my knowledge this is the first 300 pull I have done under 3mins. I don't know what I was expecting for the main set today but was caught off guard when the coach said we were doing the 10x100 on 1min set. I have struggled with this set but today felt different. I went very easy on the first 3 and in fact almost missed the send off on #3, but then started using my legs and made the 10, holding mainly 58s. The last 4 were tough but I worked the walls and kept a consistent DPS and at the end was stoked. This is definitely the first time I have made this set. The 50s kick I held 40-42s and felt strong. Once again I was not expecting the 5x100 best average at the end. I took the first one pretty easy and came in on 54. I went 53 on #2 and then held 54s on the remaining 3. I was gasping at the end but still
felt really good. What was exciting about this last set was that it was done after two other pretty high intensity sets. I have one more week of high yardage and weights and then we drop weights and start my 3 week taper culminating in the USAS meet, the Greater Southwest Classic on 17th Jan.

My parents arrive from England for Christmas and New Year and they are sticking around until early February so both my kids and parents will get to see me swim fast. I have a month until my taper meet but I am getting very excited. I just need to stay healthy and confident. It will be a fun month!

Submit "Week 63 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 63 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 63 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 63 - Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Good workout today! I think you will have an awesome taper meet!
    I hope the pool for your taper meet has been measured and is on file so that your times can count for USMS!
    Killer workout. I don't suppose the Great Southwest Classic is anywhere in or around Austin? I'm going to be out at the Grand Prix meet that weekend in Austin, chaperoning my daughters' team. It would be cool to see you swim, but I suspect your meet is in the greater Dallas area.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Good workout today! I think you will have an awesome taper meet!
    Thanks Nikki. I was really excited about the 10x100's. Your times on the swims from the block were awesome. To only be 2 seconds off what you did at nationals is incredible. Nice job! See you in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I hope the pool for your taper meet has been measured and is on file so that your times can count for USMS!
    I did not even think about that. A number of my top 10 times from LCM were not counted for this reason. I will find out. Thanks for saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Killer workout. I don't suppose the Great Southwest Classic is anywhere in or around Austin? I'm going to be out at the Grand Prix meet that weekend in Austin, chaperoning my daughters' team. It would be cool to see you swim, but I suspect your meet is in the greater Dallas area.
    Unfortunately its at our pool in Rockwall, which is 25 miles east of Dallas. Our paths will cross I promise! I will ask someone to record my race and try to post it.