View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Meet Mishap

Rate this Entry
by , December 16th, 2013 at 10:04 AM (1065 Views)
I haven't had a bad meet in a long time, but I did this weekend at NE Champs. I felt awful in the water, fell apart the last half length in my races and committed technical miscues. I only swam three 50s and scratched the rest of my events and left early.

50 fly, 29.9

My hands were separated on the dive. Hard to have a good 50 after starting with major drag on the streamline. Then I could barely get my arms out of the water the last 3-4 strokes. This is about the same time I went at the Sprint Classic on only a few days rest.

50 breast, 37.0

My only decent event. This is my second best time. But had to short stroke both walls.

50 free, 28.4

Really, this was just awful. I dove in with my hands separated again. No idea why, I practice starts at Pitt frequently and this doesn't happen. I had nothing the last half length, no legs and breathed way too much. This is definitely worse than the 25.1 I swam at the Sprint Classic on little rest and way worse than my last tapered time of 24.6.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what happened? The possibilities:

1. I was over tapered for my training. I may have rested too long. And I remember needing a recovery week before I started taper, so may have eased up too soon.

2. My training was pretty sub par in general this fall and I need to do more conditioning work.

3. I need to go back to lifting. A key benefit from lifting is that your muscles don't fatigue as quickly. My fly has felt pretty poor this fall after 7 months of no drylands. Our poor puppy is going to have to fend for herself for awhile while I go back to my prior training life. I am declaring this enforced experiment with no drylands a failure. It's been too long without drylands, I'm getting weak, and I'm lost muscle mass.

4. I am human. This fall sucked for me on every level and I succumbed.

5. I just had a random bad meet. Sh*t happens.

6. I'm getting old.

I'm going to look back over my blog to see what I've been doing in prior seasons. Though I guess it's hard to generalize from just one meet. And I'm going to forget about meets for awhile and just train for a couple months. The only good thing I can say about the meet is that my reaction time off the blocks was very fast. And it was great to see some swim friends!

Submit "Meet Mishap" to Digg Submit "Meet Mishap" to del.icio.us Submit "Meet Mishap" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meet Mishap" to Google

Updated December 16th, 2013 at 10:27 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

I'll buy every reason other than number six!

It was probably a combination of factors and it's also possible you simply had a bad day (i.e., #5).
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson

It was probably a combination of factors and it's also possible you simply had a bad day (i.e., #5).
    Yes, I think it's a combo too. I just wish I hadn't wasted a holiday weekend to swim poorly. Also, I may be underestimating how demoralizing it was to dive in with my arms separated. My start is the best part of my race and when that happens major drag.

To quote Paul Smith, at least no one will think I'm on PEDs! haha
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson

Agree 100% with Kirk. Hope you were able to catch up with friends- always seems like BOS is a funfest.
    As always, it was great to see you and your awesome swims! I wish I could have seen your 50 breast!

Maybe this is a sign that you should move on to 200's

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Agree 100% with Kirk. Hope you were able to catch up with friends- always seems like BOS is a funfest.
    But my good luck charm Rich didn't come!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    As always, it was great to see you and your awesome swims! I wish I could have seen your 50 breast!

Maybe this is a sign that you should move on to 200's

haha, I don't think lack of conditioning for 50s translates to 200s!

Great to see you! Wish I had seen your 50 breast. Glad you got home safely.
    all the possibilities seem the culprit except Number 6. Also, it is time to go back to the 200s and 400 IM, ! We all have a rough patches! Sometimes, you can't train like you did when you were on top of the USMS-FINA Masters world. Your times seemed pretty speedy but, I don't comprehend what is fast and not fast in 50s! You will have other meets to rock the house, breaks records or swim the way you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    all the possibilities seem the culprit except Number 6. Also, it is time to go back to the 200s and 400 IM, ! We all have a rough patches! Sometimes, you can't train like you did when you were on top of the USMS-FINA Masters world. Your times seemed pretty speedy but, I don't comprehend what is fast and not fast in 50s! You will have other meets to rock the house, breaks records or swim the way you like.
    Yeah, this fall has definitely been a rough patch. I'm disappointed, but one bad meet is no big deal. My fly/free times were the slowest I've been in a couple years, so not very fast for me relatively speaking. Though when I look back at 2011, I see I went a 28.5 in 50 free. I think my great 50 free at Nationals last May may have skewed my thinking about this event.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    But my good luck charm Rich didn't come!
    Anyone know an emoticon for "chopped liver"?
    Fort,

I think your swims were all in line with each other, breast being the best, so it's not like it's stroke specific. I think you were just a tad off. You don't train SCM, and that does make a big difference. I agree with you about the drylands. You are a drylands girl, so go for it! I don't think it's the blanket statement "I''m getting old". I don't think age itself has anything to do with it, but rather, that certain parts of the components that are critical for performance age faster than others. For instance, you said both fly/free you hands came apart. You are trying harder in meet even if you do work on starts in practice. It's not your hands, but maybe the connectivity with your shoulders that ever-so-slightly "give", and then your hands come apart. When you were doing weights/drylands, you probably are working a lot of body parts you don't realize are critical in your races. It's not the shoulder or arm strength, but maybe the supporting muscles about the shoulders that was key your open arms welcome dives, which you work while doing drylands. Just a thought. And there's nothing wrong with plan Bs - throw three more on the top ten pile or even a #1 time anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Fort,

I think your swims were all in line with each other, breast being the best, so it's not like it's stroke specific. I think you were just a tad off. You don't train SCM, and that does make a big difference. I agree with you about the drylands. You are a drylands girl, so go for it! I don't think it's the blanket statement "I''m getting old". I don't think age itself has anything to do with it, but rather, that certain parts of the components that are critical for performance age faster than others. For instance, you said both fly/free you hands came apart. You are trying harder in meet even if you do work on starts in practice. It's not your hands, but maybe the connectivity with your shoulders that ever-so-slightly "give", and then your hands come apart. When you were doing weights/drylands, you probably are working a lot of body parts you don't realize are critical in your races. It's not the shoulder or arm strength, but maybe the supporting muscles about the shoulders that was key your open arms welcome dives, which you work while doing drylands. Just a thought. And there's nothing wrong with plan Bs - throw three more on the top ten pile or even a #1 time anyway!
    Yes, the extra meterage between SCY and SCM makes a big difference. My ballistic fast twitch muscles just didn't hold out the whole way.

I think weights make a difference, especially in fly. They just help you hold it together longer. I've lost weight and lost strength these last months.

Thankfully, I swam the 50 back and 50 fly last March and posted great times, so at least I have all 4 50s. It's just that last year, I also had the 5 100s. I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I may just have an off year with the move and all the attendant stresses.
    Boo for a bad meet! But, even if your driver's license says you're old, you certainly don't look old!
    fort
    those times aren't that bad
    you've had a busy year
    It's probably #4

It's good to have a little bit of bitter, that terrible taste will help you get better.

Maybe it helps you to get sick right before the meet so you rest more and go in with no expactations. You've been dissed, get pissed & always remember, you're a bada$$, you're a diva & you'll totally rock the blocks and shock the clock the next times you race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    Boo for a bad meet! But, even if your driver's license says you're old, you certainly don't look old!
    Thanks TJ! Well, at least I have that going for me! haha
    Quote Originally Posted by ande;
    fort
    those times aren't that bad
    you've had a busy year
    It's probably #4

It's good to have a little bit of bitter, that terrible taste will help you get better.

Maybe it helps you to get sick right before the meet so you rest more and go in with no expactations. You've been dissed, get pissed & always remember, you're a bada$$, you're a diva & you'll totally rock the blocks and shock the clock the next times you race.
    Thanks Ande. Yeah, they're not terrible. I didn't have super high expectations in general, but I expected my 50s to be fast based on practice times.

What is "probably #4"?

It sure takes a diva to scratch half your events!
    You de-trained enough to visibly lose muscle mass, and you went slower. Yes, I think it's the lack of strength training.

Anyone who says getting old has nothing to do with it is lying to make you feel better. I think your strength training is what protects you from what usually slows people down as they get older. So get back to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    You de-trained enough to visibly lose muscle mass, and you went slower. Yes, I think it's the lack of strength training.

Anyone who says getting old has nothing to do with it is lying to make you feel better. I think your strength training is what protects you from what usually slows people down as they get older. So get back to it.
    I still look jacked to the average person, but many people have commented that I have lost weight (though oddly it seems more like lower body weight than upper body weight).

I will get back to it. I just have to start slowly and not just jump in as I am prone to do. I also have to be somewhat careful of my elbow. PRP helped, but didn't fix it completely. Though I never feel it in the water. I think strength training would also help protect my shoulders.

Yeah, aging has everything to do with it. If you don't fight it, you're in trouble.
    It happens! Probably all the stress from your family's move to Pittsburg and the change in your normal routines were enough to distract you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodent
    It happens! Probably all the stress from your family's move to Pittsburg and the change in your normal routines were enough to distract you.
    Yeah, too much stress and too much training disruptions. I will try to get back on track! Lifted today!