View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 64 - Tuesday

Rate this Entry
My life has been full of stress recently. Work is kicking my butt; it always seems to be stressful this time of year finishing out the year and planning for next year. This year has been especially stressful since we have dramatically changed our financial reporting from purely a company P&L to a product line P&L and then rollup comapny P&L. As a result planning for next year has been harder than usual, primarily because what I have done for the past 7 years no longer works and we are doing things differently. Overall I really like our changes but the ripple affect of our changes are still happening.

At home things have been quite stressful also; my wife(the saint who is my rock) has had increasing blodd pressure for the past 6 months, and this past weekend she had a panic attack and almost passed out. She went to the doctor yesterday and they immediately put her on blood pressure meds for 30 days while they try to figure out what is going on. Its a vicious circle, she has high blood pressure which makes her wonder why which causes her to stress out which raises her blood pressure. The weird thing is she has always had very low blood pressure, and at one point the doctors were worried about her blood pressure being too low.

My parents from England arrive tonight, which we are really looking forward to and my kids are excited about seeing there grandparents. The stressful part is my kids both have school activities tonight that we committed to attending and my parents arrive at the same time. I ended up arranging for a limo service to pick them up and drop them at our house. Its not cheap but it definately solves the problem and kicks off there vacation with a ride in a limo. They should have fun!

As a result of all this stress I have a mouth full of mouth ulcers and a couple of really nice looking fever blisters on my lower lip. At this moment I look like I have been 10 rounds in a prize fight. Fingers crossed we can get all these stresses out of the way this week and the big one being my wifes health, geet some immediate relief for her blood pressure problem and then find the cause. I am worried!!!

Todays workout was physically quite challenging. I struggled to get going and like yesterday was a little short of breath on the warmup. The kick set was tougher than it should have been today, and put this down to not typically doing dolphin kick. The descending 500's I was told to really drop the descend and these were also quite tough. I did a good descend but the set was not as strong as yesterdays 400's. The final set of 50's was a beating after working on pace work with the 500's and I struggled through the set.

Warm up
6x200 free with snorkel on 2.40

Main set
4x(4x50 on 50 dolhin kick with board, 4x25 on 25 swum 1/2 length under water doing dolphin and the other 1/2 free)
4x500 free pull descend 1-4 on 6mins
10x50 with fins on 30
10x50 back on 40

Total 5400scy

I held 42-45 on the dolphin kick 50's. I made the half under water but took these pretty easy; almost like a recovery. The 400's I descended from 5.33,5.22,5.15,5.09. The 50's on 30 were touch and turn on every one.

Submit "Week 64 - Tuesday" to Digg Submit "Week 64 - Tuesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 64 - Tuesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 64 - Tuesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

It sounds like getting in the pool is your time to de-stress! Good luck to your wife. Hopefully the BP meds will help her!
    Hope everything gets better with your wife and work! Get abreva for the fever blisters it really does shorten the time they exist. Tell your mom hi for me!
    Hopefully, you get a break from work here as the year unfolds ... that will surely help your stress and, if its anything like my household, help your wife's stress.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    It sounds like getting in the pool is your time to de-stress! Good luck to your wife. Hopefully the BP meds will help her!
    Swimming most definately helps me manage my stress. Before I lost all the weight last year, I was on the verge of going on blood pressure meds and I credit swimming with helping me avoid them. I hope we get to the bottom of what's the cause of her elevated blood pressure, but the trouble with a lot of doctors from my experience is they treat the symptoms and not the cause. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
    Updated December 17th, 2013 at 08:09 PM by StewartACarroll
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Hope everything gets better with your wife and work! Get abreva for the fever blisters it really does shorten the time they exist. Tell your mom hi for me!
    Thanks Nikki. She is definately not feeling herself and now the meds she was given are making her feel quite sick and irritable. I used Abreva but I think I got to it too late. My Mum arrives in a couple of hours, and I will pass along your best wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Hopefully, you get a break from work here as the year unfolds ... that will surely help your stress and, if its anything like my household, help your wife's stress.
    I hope so, and agree it will help. As Kirk said I use swimming as a relief valve on stress, but my wife does not have that. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Updated December 17th, 2013 at 08:10 PM by StewartACarroll