View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

12/21/13: morning

Rate this Entry
Masters this morning, and given the Yule Time season I thought that this fun workout posted this week to the USMS main page was would be a great one for the team. You can find it and other sets at: http://www.usms.org/articles/article...y.php?aid=2795

The Grinch Stole my Practice
Fellow marathon swimmer and Turkey Trot (Not) participant, Bill Shipp of Mitchellville, Md., has a special 3,000-yard holiday-themed workout: a fun concoction of swimming and holiday references with lots of sprinting (bah humbug!).

Chestnuts Roasting: 600 warm-up I did 800

Grinch’s Lament: “Their mouths will hang open a minute or two, Then the Whos down in Whoville will all cry, ‘Boo Hoo!’” I did fly, others had stroke option

5 x 100:
» 25 fly, 75 free
» 50 fly, 50 free
» 75 fly, 25 free
» 50 fly, 50 free
» 25 fly, 75 free

Reindeer Games, aka Speed Work: Coach Comet announces, “My job is to make bucks out of you.”

1 x 100 all out on 3:00
2 x 50 all out on 1:30
1 x 100 all out on 3:00
2 x 50 all out on 1:30

When you feel like slowing down, just remember, Santa’s sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second—that’s 3,000 times the speed of sound—to deliver all those toys in one night. How fast are you going? That’s right, not fast enough. Keep going.

Bumbles Bounce: Rudolph: “But you fell off the edge of the cliff.” Yukon Cornelius: “Didn’t I ever tell you about Bumbles? Bumbles bounce.”

Streamline push off the bottom. Butterfly kick out of the water as high as you can go. Hold it. Repeat 10 times.

Grinch's Reprise: “And what happened then...? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch’s small heart grew three sizes that day!”

300 social kick

Coach Ebenezer Scrooge’s Set: “If they’d rather die, then they had better do it and decrease the surplus population.” I did this solo

1 x 400 IM (rest 5 seconds on each 25 fly)
100 easy
1 x 400 reverse IM (nothing says Scrooge like a 400 reverse IM)
100 easy

Joy to the World: Linus: “And the angel said unto them, Fear not, for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy,” because the workout is over after this warm down!

200 cool down
(Masters/Rec/I did 3200 yds/90 min)
-------------------------------------

This was a great workout! The water was hot so we took our time, doing the Lament on 2:10. My fast efforts on the Reindeer Games were not all that fast, but I changed up strokes. No one else wanted to join me on the Scrooge set, so I saved that little gem for myself for the end of practice. Plans for the rest of the day include relaxing some more and making some cookies for the neighbors.

Submit "12/21/13: morning" to Digg Submit "12/21/13: morning" to del.icio.us Submit "12/21/13: morning" to StumbleUpon Submit "12/21/13: morning" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Very cool. Stealing this!
    Looks like we did very similar workouts today. Thanks for posting the source--now I know where my coach got her inspiration! And I'm glad to have the holiday-themed explications of those sets.