View RSS Feed

After a long rest

COR Classic Day 2

Rate this Entry
Still no speed today but definitely a better day. I am always my own worst critic, but after looking at my splits from yesterday I can take away that I was consistently slow as opposed to dieing. On my 200 yesterday I was out in 26 and then held 28.4s on all other 50s. So despite these being slow I have some pace endurance which is very encouraging pre taper.

I started the day at the pool by being told that the meet officials had pulled me from the 1650 because they would not use my USAS 1000 time as a seed time. It really sucks because I was looking forward to getting a good time under my belt. I have not yet swum a 1650 since being back. I swam a 1500 at the end of a LCM meet this summer and was looking forward to this race.


So today's program was the 500 and 100 free. If I had known I could not swim the 1650 I would have entered the 200 back, but alas just the two swims today.


On my 500 I dropped 4 seconds from the meet last month and did a 5.03.x. Like yesterday, not what i had hoped for but definitely nothing to complain about based on where i am with training. I was out through 200 at a good pace but my tempo dropped a little the rest of the way but still held 30. Mids and highs. At 300 I felt very short of breath and was almost hyper ventilating, but this passed quickly and by 350 felt good again. Nothing in my splits shows this but it felt weird.


There was a big gap between my 500 and my 100 but I warmed up again before the 100 and despite being a little stiff and a little tired generally felt pretty good.


I went 50.36 on my 100 with my first 50 split being 23.95 and my second being 26.41. I started to tied up at the end of the 3rd length but held on. My second 50 was a little slow and despite my time being slower than last month I was pleased with this based on the rest of the meet and more generally where I am in my training program.

Submit "COR Classic Day 2" to Digg Submit "COR Classic Day 2" to del.icio.us Submit "COR Classic Day 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "COR Classic Day 2" to Google

Comments

  1. knelson's Avatar
    Bummer about the 1650. Very nice swims in the 500 and 100!
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    You should be pleased! I think your boot camp may have worn you down a bit wrt meet speed. You will have a great taper meet coming up!
  3. jaadams1's Avatar
    Nice swims...you should be happy with them both. (and the mile is overrated anyway.)
  4. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Bummer about the 1650. Very nice swims in the 500 and 100!
    Yes it was especially since there were empty lanes in the first heat. Thanks.
  5. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You should be pleased! I think your boot camp may have worn you down a bit wrt meet speed. You will have a great taper meet coming up!
    I don't have the speed I want or have had previously and suspect you are right about the boot camp. I usually pickup speed as I rest and think I will have a great taper. Thanks.
  6. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice swims...you should be happy with them both. (and the mile is overrated anyway.)
    Thanks James. I was bummed I never got to swim the mile. My endurance seems pretty high and I think I would have swum a good mile. We had our masters christmas party last night and one of my team mates suggested I just enter the 1650 in a future meet and ask for splits at 50,100,200,500 and 1000 and only have to once. I thought this was quite creative!
  7. chowmi's Avatar
    Stewart, GREAT to see your results! And now it is nice to get some entry USA times! They seem to be enforcing the proven A times more and more, and very few A meets you can just enter without the purgatory of a BB or less meet to get a time.

    i'm so bummed to miss you at this meet! i had the flu and am still sick! So the answer to "should I get a flu shot this year?" is "yes, you stupid idiot! you could get the flu!" please tell me where you set up base camp, how crowded the deck was etc....RISD is hosting the Greater Southwest meet in January, so i'll be entering that meet as well! PS - the SCM 100 IM you blew me away - I am still #2 in event rankings! That may be my highest ranking for the season, so it just goes to show that one should show up for event #5 and give it a good heave ho because you never know! yeah!
  8. pwb's Avatar
    Oh, man, that completely bites about the 1,650. I've seen lots of meets (up to and including Junior Nationals and Open Water Nationals) where swimmers can use any of the distance events (800/1000, 1500/1650) as an entry time for a distance race.

    As for the 500 time, I'd say that with all the crushing training you'd done, simply matching your previous time from earlier in the season would've been a 'win.' Nice going.
  9. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Stewart, GREAT to see your results! And now it is nice to get some entry USA times! They seem to be enforcing the proven A times more and more, and very few A meets you can just enter without the purgatory of a BB or less meet to get a time.

    i'm so bummed to miss you at this meet! i had the flu and am still sick! So the answer to "should I get a flu shot this year?" is "yes, you stupid idiot! you could get the flu!" please tell me where you set up base camp, how crowded the deck was etc....RISD is hosting the Greater Southwest meet in January, so i'll be entering that meet as well! PS - the SCM 100 IM you blew me away - I am still #2 in event rankings! That may be my highest ranking for the season, so it just goes to show that one should show up for event #5 and give it a good heave ho because you never know! yeah!
    Thanks Chowmi. Yes I was surprised I was not allowed to swim the mile.

    The COR meet was quite under attended. I sat with the RACE team. It was quite nice hanging out with my daughter. I guess a lot of swimmers had already registered for the Chesapeak meet in Oklahoma City, or just could not make it due to Christmas or in your case sickness.

    See you at the Greater Southwest meet.

    I am glad your time from the DAM SCM meet is holding up. My 200 and 400 are still up there in TT also.
  10. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Oh, man, that completely bites about the 1,650. I've seen lots of meets (up to and including Junior Nationals and Open Water Nationals) where swimmers can use any of the distance events (800/1000, 1500/1650) as an entry time for a distance race.

    As for the 500 time, I'd say that with all the crushing training you'd done, simply matching your previous time from earlier in the season would've been a 'win.' Nice going.
    I spoke with my coach this morning and i may end up time trailing the 1650 at my shave meet if I don't make finals on the Sunday. If I do then I will look for a BB meet with a 1650 and just enter that. It's not the end of the world, but I was not happy.

    I was happy with my 500 relative to everything else I did this weekend. I have a big workout tomorrow; some derivative of the 12 days of Christmas and will be swimming it with the seniors. Then a relaxing Christmas and I start my taper.

    Steve Unruh is visiting this week so I will swim with him Thursday through Saturday. It will be fun!!!
  11. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Steve Unruh is visiting this week so I will swim with him Thursday through Saturday. It will be fun!!!
    Very cool. I hope he doesn't re-injure his shoulders trying to keep up with you!
  12. rxleakem's Avatar
    Another great weekend of racing! You'll get that mile in sometime soon.