View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 65 - Thursday

Rate this Entry
I woke up a little sore and tight from Tuesdays 12 days of Christmas set, but felt good in the pool and loosened up during the warmup. Steve Unruh was visiting from Austin and he and I swam with our junior racer age group(11-12 year olds). He is a great swimmer and it was fun to swim with him and the kids. The workout felt good albeit a little longer than I was hoping on the first day of my taper.

Warmup
8x100 free with snorkel on 1.30

Main sets
8x100 kick on 2mins best average
12x50 drill, swim on 1min
4x(2x50 free on 40, 1x50 back on 45, 100 free AFAP on 2mins, 50 free easy recovery on 1.55)
8x75 with snorkel on 1min smooth
12x100 on 1.40 descend 1-4,5-8,9-12 big descend, with at least 1 round of 4 done as stroke(back)
2x500 pull on 6mins breathing every 5

Warm down
200 easy

Total 6400scy(I feel like I missed a set in here but can't remember what it was)

I was not expecting the best average kick set so early in today's workout but worked it very hard and held, 1.17,1.18,1.18,1.18,1.19,1.20,1.19,1.19 which beat the last set I did the other week where i held 1.22 average. Today i averaged 1.18.5 or so which I was very happy with. The set with the AFAP 100 was fun and I held 30s on the 50s free and 32-33s on the 50s back, and then went 56,56,55,54 on the 100s. I was very happy with these and still did not feel speed but I felt strong throughout and did not die at all. The 75s I held 46-47s and felt smooth. The descending 100s I went 1.08,1.04,1.00,56, then I did back and went 1.15,1.09,1.05,1.02, the last round I went back to free and went 1.07,1.04,59,55. The 500s I went easy and held 1.05 pace.

It was great training with someone else and Steve is an awesome swimmer and i wish I could train with him all the time. We have a T30 tomorrow which is always tough both mentally and physically. The seniors did their T30 today so I have a target to aim for tomorrow. A long workout for my first taper workout but fun none the less.

Submit "Week 65 - Thursday" to Digg Submit "Week 65 - Thursday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 65 - Thursday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 65 - Thursday" to Google

Updated December 26th, 2013 at 12:46 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

good work out
    have fun on your t30
    what are you tapering for?
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    good work out
    have fun on your t30
    what are you tapering for?
    Thanks Ande.

I am am tapering for the Greater Southwest Classic. It's a USAS meet that our age group team is hosting. We will have kids from all over the south here and it's heats and finals. I am not going to swim USMS spring Nats instead focusing on world masters in Montreal in August.

I hope you had a great Christmas. All the best.
    Glad you're getting some fun training in with Steve. I'm hoping I can swim with him when I'm in Austin in mid-January. Though, I have to say, that is the most un-taper-like workout I have ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Glad you're getting some fun training in with Steve. I'm hoping I can swim with him when I'm in Austin in mid-January. Though, I have to say, that is the most un-taper-like workout I have ever seen.
    Its been fun for sure. It's always fun swimming with the juniors; they are like energizer bunnies they never stop, and are always smiling, laughing and joking. Yesterday was great having someone to push me and I think Steve had fun.

I agree with the non taper like workout comment, but based on my range of events and distances Tom wants to keep my yardage up this week and mix in some faster shorter sets. We sort of did this last go around too, where the first week was still a hard week but we stopped weights. Wait until you see today's workout it was very hard and I am very sore.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Look forward too seeing you
    You gonna train with longhorn