View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Didn't want to leave the pool this morning

Rate this Entry
This morning I took advantage of the early (6-9am) LCM lap swim hours at the PCB Aquatic Center. Air temps were in the mid-40s and it was dark when I arrived, but the water was toasty: holiday closings meant that it had stayed under its covers for the past couple of days. The new-this-season poolside digital water temp billboard told me exactly how toasty—it read 83.99 degrees before I jumped in, and 84.03 immediately after. By my exacting calculations, for my body temperature to have raised the water temp 0.04F in approximately 0.95 seconds, must have meant there was just 4.7026038 gallons of water in the pool. Nonetheless, I was able to get in a satisfying workout as I completed the following:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200d/s IM)

1 x 100 FR @ 1:40
1 x 50 BK @ 1:15ish
2 x 100 FR @ 1:40
3 x 100 FR @ 1:40
2 x 100 FR @ 1:40
1 x 100 FR @ 1:40
100 BK easy
[The FR was all with 6-beat kick and bilateral breathing. The 50s BK were easy, and welcome, since 6-beat kicking is still difficult for me. (The ish’s were due to the clocks at each end being out of sync.)]

4 x 150 FR/ST/FR, IM order, ST = build, FR = mod
4 x 150 ST/FR/ST, IM order, done as build/ez/fast
4 x 150 ST, IM order, build each 150
200 IM kick

3 x 100 FR/BK halfsie @ 2:00, desc.
3 x 100 FR/BK halfsie @ 1:55, desc.
3 x 100 FR/BK halfsie @ 1:50, desc.

Magic 700, alternating build-an-IM (strong)/FR (easy) (fr-FR-br/fr-FR-bk/br/fr-FR-fl/bk/br/fr-FR)

2x through
3 x 50 FR @ 1:00, desc.
3 x 50 BK @ 1:00, desc.
[Turkey buzzards started circling overhead during this set. I wasn’t moving that slow!]

500 warmdown + play

That was it! Those last few sets I did simply because I was enjoying staying in the water, and getting out didn't seem like much fun--it was still in the 40s, and the wind had picked up, making the pool the place to be. (I couldn't read the water temp display once the sun rose, but it seemed like it had fallen a bit, for which I was thankful). Watching the sky gradually lighten during sunrise and the seeing the clouds on backstroke and kicks still seems just amazing to me, and I’m treasuring my time down here where that is possible.

I mostly had the pool to myself this morning—sometimes there was 1, and once 2, other swimmers in the other 7 lanes, and I don’t think there were more than 6 of us altogether during the 3-hour session. They’ve reduced the morning LC hours to just twice a week during the winter, and I hope the numbers are better once the holidays or over, or it will be hard to justify opening the pool at all. For now, though, I’m enjoying having my own lane (or 6)!

Submit "Didn't want to leave the pool this morning" to Digg Submit "Didn't want to leave the pool this morning" to del.icio.us Submit "Didn't want to leave the pool this morning" to StumbleUpon Submit "Didn't want to leave the pool this morning" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds like a great swim!

Sometimes I really like our winter morning swims. The water feels nice and warm, you can see the steam rising as the covers come off. And you can see some fantastic sunrises!
    But as you said, getting out can be a bit difficult. That walk/run to the locker room seems especially long. Thank goodness there are hot showers!

Have you worked out your o/w schedule for 2014 yet? I'm toying with my schedule, but if you have any in mind, I may do some of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like a great swim!

Sometimes I really like our winter morning swims. The water feels nice and warm, you can see the steam rising as the covers come off. And you can see some fantastic sunrises!
    But as you said, getting out can be a bit difficult. That walk/run to the locker room seems especially long. Thank goodness there are hot showers!

Have you worked out your o/w schedule for 2014 yet? I'm toying with my schedule, but if you have any in mind, I may do some of those.
    Those morning swims are worth Evan a cold and windy walk (or run!) back to the locker room. And you do have a swim parka don't you?

i have no idea yet what 2014 will hold for me--for right now I'm just enjoying the training, and hope that I will eventually be in shape for whatever catches my eye!