View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 65 - Friday

Rate this Entry
I had a good nights sleep last night but was sore when I work this morning. I loosened up during the warmup but still did not feel that great at the start of the T30. Despite my soreness I had another great workout.

Warmup
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45
10x50 free on 40

Main set
T30 - 2840scy
200 easy
10x50 kick on 50
12x50 drill on 55
5x50 using power rack with 120lbs. I made it about 3/4 of the way down the pool

Warm down
500 easy

Total 6100scy

I beat my last T30 by about 40yards, which averaged a 1.03. I hoped to go 2865 which was the distance the quickest senior racer went yesterday so I got close. With a 1 yard penalty per year between our ages i would have tied. My lats were incredibly sore after the T30 and i used the drill set to stretch out.

The power rack set was fun but the weight Tom put in the barrel meant I was hurting immediately after the breakout and was disappointed I could not make one round the complete pool length. The advantage of the power rack over bungees is that the resistance is even across the pool so it basically just wears you down. On the last 50 I got the closest to the end, with Tom telling me to up my tempo. I suspect I looked like a complete idiot with my arms going around 120mph, but until the final 5 yards it worked and I went further than all previous rounds. We should be backing off yardage tomorrow which will be awesome after a long week.

Submit "Week 65 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 65 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 65 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 65 - Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Are you using power racks that have the big oil drums attached? That is what my team uses, and we will them with water rather than putting weights in them (so I am never actually sure on the weight I am pulling).
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Are you using power racks that have the big oil drums attached? That is what my team uses, and we will them with water rather than putting weights in them (so I am never actually sure on the weight I am pulling).
    Yes that's the machine. I don't know if they always come with two barrels or not; ours has two. Typically one has double the weight of the other and we tend to do a set on each barrel. I like the free weights in the barrell so i know what i am lifting and suspect the machine will really help with sprint strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Yes that's the machine. I don't know if they always come with two barrels or not; ours has two. Typically one has double the weight of the other and we tend to do a set on each barrel. I like the free weights in the barrell so i know what i am lifting and suspect the machine will really help with sprint strength.
    I think the racks are fantastic for speed work. Do a couple 12.5 pulls at a high weight and then get up on the blocks and do a 50 fast...I feel like the "high"/effect from that is about the same as when I pull w/ my snorkel cover almost completely closed off and then do some fast swimming afterwards where I am not oxygen starved. You feel almost superhuman!