View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 66 - Monday

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
I went to bed really early last night and as a result woke up really early this morning. Instead of just laying there I had a nice leisurely read of the uk newspapers prior to practice. Sometimes(usually Saturdays) I will make a coffee before practice but decided against this and instead had a power bar while I read. I still got to the pool earlier than usual so used the extra time to stretch on the mats before everyone arrived and it felt good.

Warm up
400 with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
10x100 kick on 1.45
10x300 pull on 4mins
12x50 on power rack with 60lbs on 1min

Warm down
100 easy

Total 5400scy

The additional rest on the 10x300 compared to normal meant I had an awesome set today. Amazing what difference additional rest makes to a set like this. My instructions were to use the first two to get going then to hold 3.10s and then fly on the last two. I went 3.05,3.05,3.01,3.02,3.02,3.02,3.04,3.03,2.57,2.55. Needless to say I was unable to follow instructions today but I was very pleased with this set. I started to feel tight on #6 and after picking it up on #9 and #10 felt much better. Strange how that happens sometimes. The power rack was much lighter than last week and I felt strong. I will swim everyday this week but should have good amounts of recovery and less yardage over the week as my taper progresses. I can't wait to swim fast!

Submit "Week 66 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 66 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 66 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 66 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

What kind of paddles do you use on pull sets? I am fond of agility paddles but I can't get up and going with them. They are get to focus on the catch and first half of the pull though.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    What kind of paddles do you use on pull sets? I am fond of agility paddles but I can't get up and going with them. They are get to focus on the catch and first half of the pull though.
    I am blessed with big hands and use the #4 stroke maker hand paddle with just the finger rubber. I have a strong catch and like these a lot. So far i have avoided any shoulder injuries too and touch wood this will continue. I do a lot of shoulder oriented weight exercises in my dry land work which I think helps also.

When I use the paddles it's definately not getting up in the water like i would do with say fins, but I have a long DPS and can get moving on a longer set like today. My only challenge with the paddles is staying streamlined off the wall since I can't lock my hands together, but I know this and tend to focus on my turns a lot more when wearing paddles.
    I used strokemaker in high school and college. There was a time where I could really do a number on a pull set with them. Since having shoulder surgery in the late 90's, I have reframed from using them for speed or power. I wouldn't mind adding them back in for a bit of speedwork though.

I remember doing a set similar to your 300's,don't remember the interval, but it was descend 1-3,4-6,7-9. Each one of the fastest had to be faster than the corresponding one in the previous set. I went 2:55 on the first one.

My coaches thought I had miscounted, so on the 6th one, they watched as I dropped a 2:51. They had never seen me go that fast. They didn't believe I could do it again on number 9. Well, one nearly fainted when I went 2:45.

Oh the days of my youth. How I would love to sniff a 3:00 three hundred now. When I use agility paddles, I can get under 3:30 but not under 3:20.
    I used strokemaker in high school and college. There was a time where I could really do a number on a pull set with them. Since having shoulder surgery in the late 90's, I have reframed from using them for speed or power. I wouldn't mind adding them back in for a bit of speedwork though.
    I had shoulder surgery as a kid and ended up switching from being a backstroke to a mid distance free guy as a result. Once I rehabbed my shoulder I did not have any issues with it in college but was fearful I would have some Challenges with masters but this far no problems even with all the pulling.

Oh the days of my youth. How I would love to sniff a 3:00 three hundred now. When I use agility paddles, I can get under 3:30 but not under 3:20.
    We all have that feeling about our youth and was saying to someone just earlier that the biggest challenge with masters for me has been to forget about my former times and instead focus on beating my masters times. It's depressing when I look at my times when I was 14 or 15 and realize they are quicker than I am now, let alone my times from early 20s. This getting old business is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    This getting old business is overrated.
    100% in agreement!
    I like the agility paddles for one-arm FR and a lot of "warm-up" pull that often finds its way into my coach's dynamic warm-up. However, any time I am trying to pull for power (like a 10x300 set or something like that) I go back to the strokemaker. I, however, have small hands so I stick with the #1 greens. I have passed the point (I think) where I could gradually move up to a larger size. I find I get just the right amount of power and catch without the extra load on the shoulders with the small size. Also it is easy to replace a broken paddle (I break at least one every 15-18 months) since I use the smallest size: there are always single green paddles lying around that age-groupers/younger swimmers have lost/abandoned :P