View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 66 - Wednesday

Rate this Entry
We did not have an official team practice today but I arranged with my coach to meet at the pool at 12.30pm for an unofficial practice and the first of 2014. Tom was working with a special needs child so he was open to me swimming while he was working.

I had a very quiet New Year(just the way I like it) and as such I had no issues making the workout time today. In fact I even caught some of the the English Premier League games on TV before my workout. My team, Arsenal, are currently top of the English table but struggled to overcome a very stubborn Cardiff team, but managed to win 2-0 with two very late goals. It was a good game and fun to watch.

I still don't feel any speed in the pool but once again felt quite strong and my endurance base is good. In particular, today's kick set was hard but once again my times were good and i feel my new leg strength is going to help on my mid distance events in a few weeks.

Warm up
6x200 free with snorkel on 2.40

Main sets
8x100 kick on 2min Best average
12x50 drill swim by 25 on 50
3x400 pull on 5mins descend 1-3
9x50 build on 1min work the kick
10x50 using the power rack on 1min

Warm down
250 easy

Total 5000scy

Not deliberately, but I was quicker in the warm up than usual and held between 2.10-2.15s on the 200s. The 8x100s kick were hard but I went 1.17,1.17,1.17,1.19,1.19,1.19,1.20,1.19 and although not substantially faster than my last set of these I was marginally quicker. The 50s drill swim I continued to focus on hand entry, turns and breakouts. The 400s I used my snorkel on the first two and descended nicely on all of these, going 4.22,4.15,4.08. The build 50s felt ok, but no easy speed. I put 60lbs in the barrels on the power rack and felt strong on these. Overall a good workout and nice not having to be dry today. Hopefully we will be backing off yardage this entire week and I should start to feel the affects.

Submit "Week 66 - Wednesday" to Digg Submit "Week 66 - Wednesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 66 - Wednesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 66 - Wednesday" to Google

Updated January 1st, 2014 at 07:35 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Poor Cardiff, still reeling I am sure from sharing points with Sunderland on Boxing Day when they let a 2-0 lead slip away and Sunderland scored in the 90'+5 to draw. Also nice workout.
    The guy sitting next to me on one of my flights yesterday was watching that game and it was funny to see his reactions. I didn't pony up $7 (a special reduced holiday price!) to watch DirectTV, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Poor Cardiff, still reeling I am sure from sharing points with Sunderland on Boxing Day when they let a 2-0 lead slip away and Sunderland scored in the 90'+5 to draw. Also nice workout.
    Yes I think you are right. There were a few strange games like that. Yesterday the game between Manu U and Tottenham looked like it was going to end up 2-2. At least Arsenal won and remain top; for how long is anyones guess, but at least they won.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    The guy sitting next to me on one of my flights yesterday was watching that game and it was funny to see his reactions. I didn't pony up $7 (a special reduced holiday price!) to watch DirectTV, though.
    I am one of those people who gets so into the match I jump and kick while watching. $7 for DirectTV is a lot of money, a lot of the games can be found for free over the internet. Now that the games are being shown on NBC its even easier to catch. Hopefully you dont have any bruises as a result of sitting next to an arm chair fan