View RSS Feed

Blog

01|02|13 SCM - it's technique review time again

Rate this Entry
by , January 2nd, 2014 at 04:45 PM (313 Views)
Warmed up with 500 easy free WFSP

3 x 50 DFS free moderate + 50 drill
  • 34, 34, 32 on moderate sprints

4 x 25 DFS free fast (with video to analyze)
  • 13 low's to high's

Tried to get under 13 but thinking about it, it's gonna take another level of stroke form improvement and streamline to get there. The DFS's from this pool side really aren't much faster than from a push (side slopes up and only one foot grips properly, esp when wet), but it does simulate entry and SDK portions of block starts rather well. Though the angle is too gentile, I also feel starting from the side forces you to get into entry position quicker.

Here is a front shot from under the very turbid water:

Left arm naturally shaped for swimming
Being accident prone, when I was a kid I seemed to break my arms quite often, as each arm had been broken twice before I was 11 yrs. On one occasion my left elbow broke rather severely deforming its range of motion. Surprisingly, 40 years later this would help me swim faster - lol.

I also just recently realized this. Though this is the arm with the trick shoulder, I have always seemed to get a better feel and grip from the left side underwater pull - it just feels more natural. The shoulder related drawback however occurs during the left arm recovery (feels awkward, like it is in the danger zone in range) where I compensate with the right stroke and find difficulties maintaining solid rhythm, roll, and streamline. I may show a clip from above the water demonstrating this in another post.

At least 15 off:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140101_153938_43988-1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	8233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140101_153938_39498-2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	8232

Submit "01|02|13 SCM - it's technique review time again" to Digg Submit "01|02|13 SCM - it's technique review time again" to del.icio.us Submit "01|02|13 SCM - it's technique review time again" to StumbleUpon Submit "01|02|13 SCM - it's technique review time again" to Google

Updated January 2nd, 2014 at 06:00 PM by __steve__

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's the murkiest water I think I have ever seen. Is the chlorine out of balance?
    You don't need one of those funky brace-like contraptions to train your arms to enter and find EVF! And "accident prone" was the label they put on all of us kids who were too physically active to stay out of minor emergency medical clinics for more than a few months at a time... between my siblings and me, I think my mom must have had a frequent-customer discount ("pay for 5 casts--crutches, eye patches, sets of stitches, etc.--and get one free!").
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    That's the murkiest water I think I have ever seen. Is the chlorine out of balance?
    The pool leaks enough that a swamp exists in the woods out back. There is a garden hose hooked up to a timer to keep the level up then they just add the chemicals to quota. The water is quite fresh due to the constant supply of water but I doubt the chemistry ever stabilizes.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    You don't need one of those funky brace-like contraptions to train your arms to enter and find EVF! And "accident prone" was the label they put on all of us kids who were too physically active to stay out of minor emergency medical clinics for more than a few months at a time... between my siblings and me, I think my mom must have had a frequent-customer discount ("pay for 5 casts--crutches, eye patches, sets of stitches, etc.--and get one free!").
    Now that I have kids of my own I can empathize for what I put my parents through. Luckily my kids didn't express that gene lol.