View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Saturday morning swim

Rate this Entry
This morning I enjoyed a very satisfying workout at the PCB pool. When I drove up for the 9am masters workout the pool still had its covers on—usually not a good sign. At the ticket counter they told me that the pool temp had dropped because the heaters were unable to keep pace with the unusually cold weather we have been having (lows have been below freezing, and yesterday’s high was only in the 40s—I know that won’t impress anyone in the most of the rest of the country, but it’s chilly for this area). The pool was open, though, with the guards uncovering just a few lanes as needed. The attendant estimated that the pool temp was around 75. Did I still want to swim? You bet I did!

I double capped—air temp was 41, and it was clouded over and windy—and made my way to the pool deck. There I saw that the pool temp display read 77.94. Perfect! There were three lanes uncovered, and just one other swimmer in the pool. Age groupers were milling around doing drylands. As I was taking off my parka the masters coach told me the age groupers were not getting in, and asked if I wanted a workout. I looked at what she had planned, but decided I would do my own. Here’s what it was:

1000 scy warmup (400s varied, 200 IM kick, 200 FR pull, 200 IM d/s)

5 x 500 FR with traveling backstroke @ 7:30:

• 1st one—5th and 6th 50 is backstroke
  • 2nd one—4th and 7th 50 backstroke
  • 3rd one—3rd and 8th 50 backstroke
  • 4th one—2nd and 9th 50 backstroke
  • 5th one—1st and 10th 50 backstroke

[I worked the portions of each 500 between the two backstrokes, so that the last one contained a hard 400. The sun came out as I did this set, and the wind died down some. More swimmers came in, and more lanes were uncovered. On the first 500, I was startled by a wetsuited swimmer suddenly in front of me as I was coming into the wall. It turned out to be my pal Paul, who had intended to dive under me but was stymied by the buoyancy of his wetsuit. We laughed about that.]

50 easy

IM ladder
100 IM @ 1:45
200 IM @ 3:30
300 IM @ 5:15
400 IM @ 7:00

450 easy warmdown

I loved swimming in this water temp! My head got cold when I stopped at first, but once the sun came out even that was ok, and the double capping seemed unnecessary. But I didn’t like the partly covered pool—it was funny how much happier I was when there was someone in the lane between me and the dark water that lay beneath the tarps.

It’s been perfect weather for cold-water swims lately. Yesterday the air temp was in the low 40s, the water temp in the high 50s, and it was brilliantly sunny. I enjoyed a beautiful swim down the beach and back. I’m still a little uneasy about swimming out in the gulf here by myself, but I’m getting more brave about it. Plus, I haven’t been completely alone. The last few times I’ve been in the gulf I’ve seen a single foot-long white fish—the same one?—that comes and swims very near me. (I’ve learned not to startle it away by flinching when I see it). After I exited the water yesterday, though, there was a pelican diving right where I had last seen my little friend. I couldn’t tell if the pelican caught anything, and I hope “my” fish is still out there somewhere and will visit me again.

Submit "Saturday morning swim" to Digg Submit "Saturday morning swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday morning swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday morning swim" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

that's very odd that the pool heaters can't keep up with those temps. is it an old facility?
    it gets even colder here in AZ, and the heaters at the pools keep them nice and warm. heck, I remember swimming at Scottsdale Eldorado when the air temp about 25F once, and the pool temp was still around 85F (and that's certainly not a new facility).
    maybe they have super-duper heaters here?

do you ever see anyone before/after you swim in the Gulf? I'd imagine you're the talk of the town when you're there
    Updated January 4th, 2014 at 04:55 PM by aztimm
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    that's very odd that the pool heaters can't keep up with those temps. is it an old facility?
    it gets even colder here in AZ, and the heaters at the pools keep them nice and warm. heck, I remember swimming at Scottsdale Eldorado when the air temp about 25F once, and the pool temp was still around 85F (and that's certainly not a new facility).
    maybe they have super-duper heaters here?

do you ever see anyone before/after you swim in the Gulf? I'd imagine you're the talk of the town when you're there
    Nope, it's a fairly new facility--opened in 2006. I think the heating system was designed to handle cold snaps, because every winter the folks at the pool seem shocked and somewhat panicked when a few cold days drop the pool temps below the desired 83 degrees. Sometimes the problem is with getting or keeping the pool covers on in high winds. The pool's heating/cooling system is complicated, and is designed to take advantage of the area's underground springs, which are supposedly a constant 64 or 68 degrees. That's great for cooling the water in the summer, but I don't think it helps raise the pool temp from 78 to 81, say. I've asked multiple times how this system works but still don't quite understand it.

People do ask me how the water is when I'm getting in or out of the gulf, and some regular beach walkers recognize me as "the swimmer."

Congrats on your 100 100s!