4 x 50 fly drills
8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :45
50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
150 EZ

4 x 25 AFAP from the blocks + 75 EZ
-- IM order
-- I felt really sore from weights, but my times were typical of what I usually go sore or not
100 EZ

20 x 25 fly @ 100 pace w/fins @ :40
-- My goal time was 11 high-12. I made them all! I was quite surprised given how sore I felt.
-- I did reduce the # of SDKs off the wall to 8-9.
-- I guess next time I do this set I will add repeats. I don't think I can reduce the interval yet and Rushall specifies 30 x 25.

300 EZ

20 x 25 backstroke kick w/fins @ 100 pace @ :35
-- I reduced the interval on these. My goal time was still 12.
-- I missed #11 and skipped #12 and then made the rest.
-- I took 9-10 SDKs off the wall.

225 EZ

Total: 3500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quite like the Rushall 25 sets for working on 100 pace. I didn't have any lactate acid build up. The hypoxic element and my lack of aerobic conditioning are really the limiting factors. Well, and the 25s do get more difficult as you progress. It was a mental challenge for me to get through 20 x 25 fly. But doing this set will give me some confidence for my 100 fly this season. Yeah, I know Rushall doesn't like fins, but I'm never doing that many 25 flys without fins or my shoulders would likely break off.

I've been doing weights for 4 weeks now. I am due for a recovery week where I skip them. That will make my pool workouts more pleasant for sure!

I did enter myself in the Allegheny Y meet on Jan. 19. But I am not at all exciting about racing right now, so I may bail. We'll see as it gets closer.

Submit "Friday, Jan 10" to Digg Submit "Friday, Jan 10" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Jan 10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Jan 10" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I quite like the Rushall 25 sets for working on 100 pace. I didn't have any lactate acid build up. The hypoxic element and my lack of aerobic conditioning are really the limiting factors. Well, and the 25s do get more difficult as you progress.
    I agree completely. After these sets, I'm just super-tired, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    I agree completely. After these sets, I'm just super-tired, nothing more.
    But Rushall says we're not supposed to be tired! I sure am right now. I think his sentiment applies to the young. Masters are different.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    But Rushall says we're not supposed to be tired! I sure am right now. I think his sentiment applies to the young. Masters are different.
    How tired were you 2 hours later, or even 10 mins later relative to a more "typical" workout? (whatever that is) I have found that indeed the fatigue later is less from a Rushallesque set. For example, if I do race-pace broken 200s, or a hard nx100 best average set, I'll be much more exhausted 2 hours later than after doing Rushallesque work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    How tired were you 2 hours later, or even 10 mins later relative to a more "typical" workout? (whatever that is) I have found that indeed the fatigue later is less from a Rushallesque set. For example, if I do race-pace broken 200s, or a hard nx100 best average set, I'll be much more exhausted 2 hours later than after doing Rushallesque work.
    Definitely not as tired as if I had done a lactate production workout. Best average sets are the most difficult I'll see how I feel in the pool tomorrow.