Sat., Jan. 11
by, January 11th, 2014 at 05:53 PM (743 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt
4 x 25 shooter w/fins @ :40
2 x 25 burst SDK + cruise from a push @ 1:00
5 x 30 burst SDK + cruise back from the blocks
4 x (broken 100s + 100 EZ)
done as 4 x 25 @ :40 @ target 100 pace, no fins
1 = free, goal = 14+ (13/14/14/14)
2 = free, goal = 14+ (13/14/14/14)
3 = breast, goal = 18+ (17/17+/18/18 high)
4 = flutter kick w/fins, hold :11s
After the first set, I was pretty convinced that I couldn't do 20 x 25 @ 100 pace without fins. But I decided to give it a try with freestyle, expecting to miss a few. I also bumped the interval to :45, consistent with what Rushall says is acceptable for older drop dead sprinters.
20 x 25 @ :45 free, no fins
-- trying to hold 14+s
-- made them all except #20 where I cramped and couldn't swim through it.
-- getting to 30 of these reps seems really hard
I was pretty tired when I got in the pool. My shoulders felt fatigued form all the fly yesterday. But that didn't stop me from having a good workout.
I've been thinking a lot about USRPT lately. So far I have the following thoughts:
1. RPT is not all that new. Salo and his high intensity style workouts have been around for awhile.
2. Rushall takes the idea of RPT and isolates it to the exclusion of everything else -- literally.
3. He ignores research on the important of strength training.
4. He is a bit cult-like in his declarations. Sometimes I feel like he's a swimming scientologist.
5. I don't think USRPT applies at all to 50s, and Rushall seems to have conceded that they're unique.
6. I think equipment helps and can transfer. Honestly, fins helped me become a great kicker.
7. I don't mind using his 20-30 x 25 set to train for 100s, but that won't be the exclusive way I train for them. I will still use high intensity max rest sets as well.
8. His sets are a great way to maximize your race pace training. But is maximizing RPT really a value in and of itself? More is better just for neural patterning? How much neural patterning do we need?
9. Do you really have to go all in with USRPT? Or can you dabble in it for certain events?