battle ropes, 6 x :15 AFAP + :30 rest
power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
flutter kicks on bosu, 100
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
single leg deadlifts w/DBs, 20 x 2 x 12 each leg
extreme angle iso squat, 2:00
explosive push on double cable machine, 35 x 2 x 30
explosive leg extension, 75 x 3 x 15
lows row, 90 x 1 x 8, 100 x 6 -- think I shouldn't have done 100, my elbows are kinda sore from that
overhead squats, 45 x 3 x 8
squat jumps w/bar, 45 x 2 x 8
calf raises, 90 x x 6
good mornings, 70 x 3 x 8

Stretching/Yoga, 20 min

Swimming, 700 yards

-- I just hopped in the pool for an easy swim. The pool is just like all the other crappy LA Fitness pools. It was also cloudy and hard to see the wall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going to get in a swim tomorrow and then I have a massage booked for Tuesday. It's one of the gift certificates my team gave me and he comes highly recommended. I did read with interest in Swimmer that David Guthrie swears by frequent massage (and his P2Life supps). I'm going to try having a protein shake before bedtime to see if that has any effect. Fort Son swears by that too.

Submit "Sunday, Jan. 12" to Digg Submit "Sunday, Jan. 12" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, Jan. 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, Jan. 12" to Google

Comments

Dunno about the protein shakes, although I do eat a fair amount of protein, but I am a convert on the massages. During heavy training I see my body worker at least every 3 weeks, or more frequently if I can work it into my and her schedule. She works with a lot of professional and serious amateur overhead athletes (rock climbers, baseball players, swimmers), so she really knows shoulders. I credit her entirely with beating my nagging "little league" elbow. She also keeps my neck and shoulders fully mobile despite my cervical fusion, which helps me out a lot at work (desk job with some driving) as well as in the pool. Good luck with this new person in Pittsburgh.
    I'm going to try having a protein shake before bedtime to see if that has any effect.
    Nutrition is the sum of everything you eat, not just one snack a day.
    Oh, and P2Life looks like sugary garbage. First rule of supplements: 99% are a waste of your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands;
    Oh, and P2Life looks like sugary garbage. First rule of supplements: 99% are a waste of your money.
    Also very low in actual protein … and definitely a lot of calories … Don't worry -- I don't own any.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    Dunno about the protein shakes, although I do eat a fair amount of protein, but I am a convert on the massages. During heavy training I see my body worker at least every 3 weeks, or more frequently if I can work it into my and her schedule. She works with a lot of professional and serious amateur overhead athletes (rock climbers, baseball players, swimmers), so she really knows shoulders. I credit her entirely with beating my nagging "little league" elbow. She also keeps my neck and shoulders fully mobile despite my cervical fusion, which helps me out a lot at work (desk job with some driving) as well as in the pool. Good luck with this new person in Pittsburgh.
    I could probably eat a chicken breast too!

I haven't had a massage in 5 weeks and I can really feel it. I'm going to aim for every 2-3. Sounds like you have the perfect person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Nutrition is the sum of everything you eat, not just one snack a day.
    Oh, I know. I eat pretty healthy. I was just wondering if a late night infusion of protein might help with recovery.
    The timing is irrelevant; it's quantity.
    That's where a Triple Whopper from Burger King comes in handy.
    I know quantity is important, but I thought timing could be relevant. For example, aren't there studies showing that, to help speed recovery, you should ingest protein 30-60 minutes after working out?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    That's where a Triple Whopper from Burger King comes in handy.
    Ew! 1500 (or so) calories from junk food. Nutrition is even more important as you age. One day, you'll have to change your ways or pay the price. At least you're getting a lot of exercise working on your house!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Ew! 1500 (or so) calories from junk food. Nutrition is even more important as you age. One day, you'll have to change your ways or pay the price. At least you're getting a lot of exercise working on your house!
    I talk the talk a lot, but don't walk it very often. Fast food is good and I like it, but I tend to keep it on the more healthy side (more healthy than my mother-in-law's cooking at least!!)
    I know quantity is important, but I thought timing could be relevant. For example, aren't there studies showing that, to help speed recovery, you should ingest protein 30-60 minutes after working out?
    There are studies of endurance athletes that show quicker recovery when the athletes eat a mixture of carbohydrates and protein within 30-60 minutes after workout. I think the ratio is supposed to be 4 to 1 -- which is incidentally the same ratio that's in chocolate milk. Here's a link to a report of a study that was focused on chocolate milk:

http://www.nsca.com/education/articl...ecovery-drink/

Of course, the referenced study was focused on endurance athletes performing multiple sessions.

There have also been a recent study that suggest that if you have two people eating the same amount of calories, but one eats more earlier in the day while the other eats more later in the day, the one who eats later in the day is more likely to be heavier. But I've only seen a reporter's take on one study and didn't look that closely at it, so who knows.
    If only I liked milk! I wonder if there are any studies where there is more protein than the conventional 4:1 ratio ...

I've read the same thing about eating more earlier in the day. I'm not the best at this; I stay up late and get hungry late.
    If only I liked milk! I wonder if there are any studies where there is more protein than the conventional 4:1 ratio ...

I've read the same thing about eating more earlier in the day. I'm not the best at this; I stay up late and get hungry late.
    There must be studies that deal with that. How else would they have known to come up with the 4:1? Surely, they did some studies with different ratios? I also wonder if it matters whether you drink or eat the carbs/protein.

As a night owl myself, I have the same problem. I've been trying a little harder since I read that -- with limited success.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    There must be studies that deal with that. How else would they have known to come up with the 4:1? Surely, they did some studies with different ratios? I also wonder if it matters whether you drink or eat the carbs/protein.

As a night owl myself, I have the same problem. I've been trying a little harder since I read that -- with limited success.
    I may have to google around and see. I recall Water Rat saying that at the fancy camp he attended the advice was "carbs before and protein after." I take just straight amino acids (from infinityfitnesss.com) after my workout. Hopefully, I'm not screwing up!
    I may have to google around and see. I recall Water Rat saying that at the fancy camp he attended the advice was "carbs before and protein after." I take just straight amino acids (from infinityfitnesss.com) after my workout. Hopefully, I'm not screwing up!
    One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the recommendations about chocolate milk all talk in terms of endurance athletes and replenishing fuel for the next workout. I wonder if the recovery requirements are different for activities that are more power based, where you are trying to build up muscle and strength over pure endurance, if that makes any sense.

Of course, seeing the results you get, what you are doing certainly seems to work for you!