View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sunday, January 12, 2014 Winter Inviational Meet Results

Rate this Entry
This was more of a survival type swim meet for me today. I haven't been swimming a whole lot over the past couple months with my mother in law gone, as well as my house rebuild project going on. The first "problem" is solved as my MIL is back, but the house fixup will be going for a while.

I did minimal warmup, figuring that it wasn't going to help me that much, but too much could hinder my performance by taking away valuable energy.

I'm getting all these splits off the computer timing tapes, which I luckily have since I'm the Top Ten/Records guy for the LMSC. They have an old cable for the timing system and it doesn't transfer the touchpad 50 splits from the timing computer to the laptop with Meet Manager, so they have to manually enter all the finish times. Doing splits would be way too much work...but I can look after the fact at my own times.

All splits from the tape and my rough estimate subtraction math...

400 IM - 4:52.34
29.0 / 1:02.78
39.1 / 39.0
42.5 / 42.8
34.0 / 32.3

I knew this race was going to be tough, but I didn't expect to see 1:02 on the wall as I was going on my back. It definitely hurt, and I just held it together as best I could.

400 Free Relay (did leadoff leg): 27.27 (55.42) - we were 2nd place on the relay
My goggle filled with water off the dive, I just swim this relaxed, breathing every stroke. Powered off the 50 turn with about 10 SDKs and came home as best I could...that's why it was nearly even splitting for a 100.

200 Free - 2:00.28
28.11 / 30.7 (58.84)
31.2 / 30.1 (1:01.3)
Originally my intention was to swim the 200 Fly in this race, but I decided otherwise on that after the 400 IM earlier. Wise choice on my part.
Looking back at the tape splits, I can see just how close this was.
I was 0.02 ahead at the 50, about 0.3 ahead at the 100, 1.1 ahead at the 150, and then barely touched him out on the finish by 0.07. This young buck 23 year old always seems to be a little Sammy save-up when it comes to races like this. I had to really put my head down for the final 6-7 stroke cycles (normally I'd probably have taken 5 breaths or so during this), but it's probably what got me the win.

200 Medley Relay - (Fly split) - went 26.4 - 1st place on the relay
I figured I could do a 50 okay.

200 Fly - 2:17.44
28.96 / 33.9 (1:02.89)
37.1 / 37.4
I didn't feel "normal" on this race, and just held it together by backing off after the 100. I managed to keep my breathing pattern good, just backed off the intensity. Happy to have lived through another one!

200 Free Relay - anchor leg 24.1 - we got 1st place by about 1 second.
Came from behind throughout the relay after we gave away a 4 second deficit on the 1st leg. I dove in basically tied with the other team's final swimmer. It's fun finally have a relay team group in my workout group that I can finally race with. In the past I'd be the young gun with a bunch of AARP members.

50 Fly - 27.09
I got beat on this one by about 1/2 a second. I just wasn't ready to sprint on this one, but I was gaining on the 2nd length. ...just 5 more yards...

500 Free - 5:27.41
30.4 / 32.9
33.5 / 34.0
33.6 / 33.0
32.9 / 32.7
32.4 / 31.7
I managed to negative split this one 2:44.4 to 2:42.9 (about 1.5 seconds!)
I was definitely a hurting guy prior to this race...fully exhausted, and just dove in swam "EZ" at the beginning. I glanced at the clock at the 200 and it said 2:10. In my head I thought that was wayyyyy too slow, so I tried to crank it up and actually felt really good doing so. Go to the legs!! That's why I do those insane kicking sets even now in my YMCA lap lane practice!

Submit "Sunday, January 12, 2014 Winter Inviational Meet Results" to Digg Submit "Sunday, January 12, 2014 Winter Inviational Meet Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, January 12, 2014 Winter Inviational Meet Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, January 12, 2014 Winter Inviational Meet Results" to Google

Comments

Good job! I'd critique your 2fly, but you saw my most recent effort in that event. I have no leg to stand on.
    That's a survival type of meet even in the best of shape with all of those events. I'm impressed with the negative split and pretty pacing on the 500. Nice going.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good job! I'd critique your 2fly, but you saw my most recent effort in that event. I have no leg to stand on.
    Thanks! 200 Fly isn't something you just "jump into". You need to be trained and ready for that one.
    BTW, did your leg ever grow back?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's a survival type of meet even in the best of shape with all of those events. I'm impressed with the negative split and pretty pacing on the 500. Nice going.
    Thanks Patrick. One thing that helped is that the pool is 1.5 miles from my house, so I don't have to do the marathon driving to and from the meet like usual around here. The one time of year that we get lucky out here in Wenatchee.

As for the 500, I knew everyone else was complaining about being tired as we got on the blocks (along with me), so I just took it easy to start. But I'm not one to throw my hands up and totally surrender, so I pulled something respectable out of the bag.
    Yeah, that's a lot of swimming. I'm impressed you had anything left at the end of the 500! Nice job!

Was there anyone else anywhere near you in the 500?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yeah, that's a lot of swimming. I'm impressed you had anything left at the end of the 500! Nice job!
    Thanks Kirk!!
    Was there anyone else anywhere near you in the 500?
    There were a few no shows, but I had a new guy from the TriCities (42 yrs.) who was a 5:40, and another guy from Montana who was 5:55. I was with both of them to the 150, going to the 200, they fell off a little bit, and that's when I added my kick and began my final descent to the finish.
    Very nice meet James. I have been watching the series, Everest: Beyond the limit and your comment about the "final descent to the finish" reminded me of the series, except your descent was not Everest, although it was a very tough meet. Nice swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Very nice meet James. I have been watching the series, Everest: Beyond the limit and your comment about the "final descent to the finish" reminded me of the series, except your descent was not Everest, although it was a very tough meet. Nice swimming.
    Thanks Stewart!! While I may not be quite as fast as I was a year ago, I'm still tough!