50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
-- 2 free, 2 fly, all 10s

100 EZ

20 x 25 w/fins
-- I did 6 free @ 100 pace @ :35 and then decided I was too tired/sore to finish the set and switched to breast @ 100 pace @ :40 on #7. Missed #10 and made the rest.
225 EZ

Total: 2450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not a great day in the water. I was too sore from weights. I'm definitely taking this week off for some recovery. I know many never take time off from weights, but it has worked well for me in the past. I'm considering doing less when I go to the gym as well. It's really taking a toll on my pool workouts. Haven't done too much AFAP work.

Does anybody think warm up is fatiguing and amounts to garbage yards?

Submit "Monday, Jan. 13" to Digg Submit "Monday, Jan. 13" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Jan. 13" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Jan. 13" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Does anybody think warm up is fatiguing and amounts to garbage yards?
    No to both. I really like warmup. At my little 'swim camp' this past weekend, we talked about thinking about it as a 'tune up' so that you're thinking both about tuning the technique and the body/cardio to get ready for whatever goals you have for the rest of the practice. It's semantics, but that added some value for me. I adopted an idea that Dave Salo had in his book awhile back of doing very close to the same tuneup every time I get in the water; I'm not always 100% the same, but the routine of doing largely the same thing (with some key focal points) helps me assess where I am each day.
    I have been in a 6 mo + training cycle with few rest periods. With that said; I find warm wears me out. Anything over 800; depending on the day. I typically get a good mix loosen and a desc pre set in. That typically does it for me...thx god i get a rest day tomorrow.
    I too like the same warm up each practice. In essence nearly every workout, I do my meet warmup. I find 700 warmup with an additional 400-500 transition is enough for me to loosen up/warm up and not run the risk of an injury before doing some faster sets. I also like using my snorkel at first so I don't put any stress on my neck until I have started to warm up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shaw
    I have been in a 6 mo + training cycle with few rest periods. With that said; I find warm wears me out. Anything over 800; depending on the day. I typically get a good mix loosen and a desc pre set in. That typically does it for me...thx god i get a rest day tomorrow.
    You don't feel overtrained? You're much younger than me, so might be able to sustain harder training. What is your focus meet?

I sometimes do extended warm ups up to 1200 or so. I hadn't thought it was too much, but someone suggested those extra yards could cost you ...

Enjoy your rest day!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    No to both. I really like warmup. At my little 'swim camp' this past weekend, we talked about thinking about it as a 'tune up' so that you're thinking both about tuning the technique and the body/cardio to get ready for whatever goals you have for the rest of the practice. It's semantics, but that added some value for me. I adopted an idea that Dave Salo had in his book awhile back of doing very close to the same tuneup every time I get in the water; I'm not always 100% the same, but the routine of doing largely the same thing (with some key focal points) helps me assess where I am each day.
    I tend to do much the same warm up everyday as well. But sometimes I add in drills or a descend set. It does seem to take me some time to loosen up. And I don't really want to warm up during a race pace set. I'm probably over-thinking it!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    not run the risk of an injury before doing some faster sets.
    Yes, this!

I was somewhat astonished to learn that WR holder David Guthrie only does about a 100 warm up and then just "gets going." (He does this to minimize his yardage.) I can't even imagine doing that
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You don't feel overtrained? You're much younger than me, so might be able to sustain harder training. What is your focus meet?

I sometimes do extended warm ups up to 1200 or so. I hadn't thought it was too much, but someone suggested those extra yards could cost you ...

Enjoy your rest day!
    There are days; I feel borderline over trained (Like yesterday.) I take my swimming very seriously (more than most teenagers) and I have 20 + years of swim training to catch up on to be competitive with you guys. SC will be Dixie zones and GMU zones, LC will be nats (since im having a kid this year, Was going to be Montreal.)
    I always think of your warmups in the workouts you design as part warm up, part transition to get me going for the main stuff. no garbage at all.
    There are days; I feel borderline over trained (Like yesterday.) I take my swimming very seriously (more than most teenagers) and I have 20 + years of swim training to catch up on to be competitive with you guys. SC will be Dixie zones and GMU zones, LC will be nats (since im having a kid this year, Was going to be Montreal.)
    So you're going to both Zones eh? I had considered doing that too, but I've never done back to back focus meets. I really need another SCY meet besides Zones though and there aren't many good options. You will catch up. I was still improving after 8 years in masters, though I may have topped out now

Congrats on the kid! That will be a life changer.

I'm not going to Montreal either One of these times I'll get to Worlds. The summer's never seem to be great training times with pool closures and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I always think of your warmups in the workouts you design as part warm up, part transition to get me going for the main stuff. no garbage at all.
    That's my aim. Loosen up, work on technique and get the heart rate up so you're ready to go. Glad you like them! See you Wednesday night! Don't have a particular workout in mind yet ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    So you're going to both Zones eh? I had considered doing that too, but I've never done back to back focus meets. I really need another SCY meet besides Zones though and there aren't many good options. You will catch up. I was still improving after 8 years in masters, though I may have topped out now

Congrats on the kid! That will be a life changer.

I'm not going to Montreal either One of these times I'll get to Worlds. The summer's never seem to be great training times with pool closures and such.
    The way the schedule is setup at ours; I want to break up my swims and swim some events I never have tapered for. I feel like a slacker with the new HIT program being all junk yards and Im sticking with your plan. Well see how bad I am this weekend in Annapolis.
    The way the schedule is setup at ours; I want to break up my swims and swim some events I never have tapered for. I feel like a slacker with the new HIT program being all junk yards and Im sticking with your plan. Well see how bad I am this weekend in Annapolis.
    I went to that meet last year. The pool isn't too bad considering. I tend to always rest a few days for a meet. Sprinters need some rest to pop out good times.

Yeah, I'm disappointed with the HIT workouts or "sprinters". I saw someone did a 500 for time … Not sure how that or any of the workouts are really related to sprinting. But he says he'll start posting more speed workouts. They seem so old school and 200s are just not sprints.