View RSS Feed

AngieK

Just Not Feeling it

Rate this Entry
by , January 14th, 2014 at 11:52 AM (1738 Views)
You know those days when you are tired or sore from the previous day's workout and you get to the pool, and you just aren't feeling it? Well, it seems that a lot of that was going around at our 10:00 AM Masters workout yesterday. I was headed for the pool deck, when I passed my lane mate, Roberta. She looked at me and said, "I'm not feeling it today. And, I just saw Judy (another lane mate) and she isn't feeling it either, so it's up to you. Translation: I am leading the lane today. Perfect. I said, "But, wait! I'm not feeling it either!" Well, I did my workout with as much effort as I could muster. And, we took turns leading the lane. It wasn't a banner workout. However, it was a workout. We did a fly drill set with fins that felt extra tiring. After that, we did a long-ish main set involving sprinting various distances and 200 yard easy/recoverys in between. After practice, several of us were chatting about how exhausted we were to start off the week. So, it wasn't just our lane, we all had a case of the “not feeling its.” This then led to a short discussion on the toll doing certain fitness regimens can take on our now older bodies and about cross training. Yep. We are all getting older. I was mentioning how I need to lift weights two times a week, even if I'd rather be swimming. And, something along the lines of, “Swimming makes me happy.” And, one of my swimmer friends, who swims a lane or two away from me, said something like, “Oh, yes. I know. You look happy when you're swimming.” This comment took me by surprise, especially today when I wasn't feeling particularly happy or accomplished in the water. But, the thing is, even on a bad swimming day, I'm usually happy after, if not during. This made me remember that back in November, I had started a list of how swimming makes me feel at any given moment. Here is my list (in no particular order): Swimming Makes Me Feel…
Strong
Graceful
Competent
Happy
Tired
Relaxed
Accomplished
Cool
Fast
Slow
Exhausted
Mentally free…of earthly issues, concerns, people, places, appointments, etc.
Meditative
Successful
Owned by/a slave to the clock
Filled with joy
Energized
Stress free
Hungry
So good afterwards, I want to spend as much time as possible doing it.
I hope to keep adding to this list as I think of new ways swimming makes me feel. It is almost a my “Benefits of Swimming List.” I'm sure other swimmers (and runners, skaters, skiers, walkers, and etc.) would have similar lists. For example, I don't know any swimmers who would say that swimming doesn't make them hungry. Swimmers are usually always hungry. At least they are after they swim. So, even though I started out “not feeling it,” I was feeling pretty happy and accomplished after practice. And, I'm grateful to my swimmer friends for reminding me why I swim. Happy Swimming to all of you! AngieKozBlogs

Submit "Just Not Feeling it" to Digg Submit "Just Not Feeling it" to del.icio.us Submit "Just Not Feeling it" to StumbleUpon Submit "Just Not Feeling it" to Google

Comments

Great list. I like that idea!
    "But, the thing is, even on a bad swimming day, I'm usually happy after, if not during."

This is very true. After a workout I'm almost always glad I did it!
    With swimming at least, even if I'm, "not feeling it," I've found that once I get in the water and commit to swimming, before I know it I'm already through half the workout

Running on the other hand... I've run on days when not feeling it, and those were the days when things happened. Either stomach issues, running out of fluids, and even a few times injury. So I'm more prone to cut myself a break on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Great list. I like that idea!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    "But, the thing is, even on a bad swimming day, I'm usually happy after, if not during."

This is very true. After a workout I'm almost always glad I did it!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    With swimming at least, even if I'm, "not feeling it," I've found that once I get in the water and commit to swimming, before I know it I'm already through half the workout

Running on the other hand... I've run on days when not feeling it, and those were the days when things happened. Either stomach issues, running out of fluids, and even a few times injury. So I'm more prone to cut myself a break on that.
    So True!
    I agree...I find it different with running, and wouldn't necessarily push it either. Thanks!