View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Greater Southwest Invitational Day 1 Prelims / Finals

Rate this Entry
I did not swim as fast as I had hoped I would swim but I still did masters best times so I can't complain too much. I also qualified for the A finals in the 100 but I am currently first alternate on the 500. I am kicking myself on the 500 because I did not stick with the two fast kids in my heat and as a result i missed out on the final. I really think I can swim much quicker than my time this morning. I got into a rhythm and could not pick it up when I needed to. Despite this I was pleased with the consistency of my splits in the 500. The 100 I did not go out hard enough but had a good back half and qualified for tonight so will get a chance to drop time.

100 free - 49.01 - splits 23.68, 25.33
500 free - 4.55.20 - splits 55.64, 59.86, 59.81, 1.00.25, 59.64

I had hoped to go 48.0 in the 100 and under 4.50 on the 500 so not as fast as I had hoped, but I am still pleased and have a lot more fast swimming still to do at this meet. Fingers crossed someone will drop out of the final of the 500 and I will get another shot.

Finals update

This was fun despite struggling a little. I don't know whether it was swimming in the evening or if it was just a bad swim but my legs were very heavy this evening. I was out a little quicker turning in 23.5 but the second 50 my legs were very heavy and I ended up going 49.46. It's hard to get upset when I made the final in an off event. We videos my swim so I will try to upload some video after I get done with the meet. All the kids showed up for the 500 so I had no opportunity to swim the 500 again.

Submit "Greater Southwest Invitational Day 1 Prelims / Finals" to Digg Submit "Greater Southwest Invitational Day 1 Prelims / Finals" to del.icio.us Submit "Greater Southwest Invitational Day 1 Prelims / Finals" to StumbleUpon Submit "Greater Southwest Invitational Day 1 Prelims / Finals" to Google

Updated January 18th, 2014 at 03:17 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice swims! Good luck tonight!
    Nice job Stewart!!! Good luck tonight!
    Nice job! Good luck tonight. Hope you grab that 500 spot!

It didn't seem like you tapered all the much. But then I have no idea about tapering for your events.
    Wishing you to see a 48+ on that 100 and for some kid to bail so you get a second shot at that 500. That 49 flat is damn impressive, but you gotta get that second 100 a little quicker on that 500 and lock in the 58+/59- range -- very doable for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Wishing you to see a 48+ on that 100 and for some kid to bail so you get a second shot at that 500. That 49 flat is damn impressive, but you gotta get that second 100 a little quicker on that 500 and lock in the 58+/59- range -- very doable for you.
    Thanks Patrick. I think I can go quicker on the 100. It was not a bad swim but I think I can go out quicker without affecting my back half. This is going to sound like an excuse buts it's not intended to be one, but the sun was very bright on the even lengths and I could not see any of the guys to my left on the last length, so I think I have plenty of room for improvement.

I was not upset with the 500 but definately agree with your comment about second 100. My coach asked why I did not try to go with the two quick guys in my heat and I think the truth is i chickened out. I felt strong throughout and wish I had pushed it harder in the middle. I did not die at all and when I was done felt like I had more in the tank. Fingers crossed I will get another shot. If I don't get another go tonight and I swim well tonight and tomorrow I may do a time trial on the 500. We shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nice job! Good luck tonight. Hope you grab that 500 spot!

It didn't seem like you tapered all the much. But then I have no idea about tapering for your events.
    Thanks.

A couple of people have said the same thing. It's hard when I swim such a range of distances but I feel good. This is only my 5th 500 since I got back in masters and I am still dropping time. It almost feels like being an age grouper again trying to figure out how to pace the middle and long distance events all over again. One of my goals with entering USAS meets was to be able to race on a regular basis. This is something i have definately enjoyed already and something i think i will benefit from for a while. Fingers crossed I will have it all figured out by Worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Nice job Stewart!!! Good luck tonight!
    Thanks Wookie. It's been fun so far. Like being a kid again!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice swims! Good luck tonight!
    Thanks Kirk. I will give it my best.
    Well done, Stewart!
    Nice going!!!

BTW...what were your lifetime best times from "back in the day?" Just wondering how close you're coming 20+years afterward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Well done, Stewart!
    Thanks Calvin. I think i missed the perfect taper by a few days, which is good to know for the next taper. It's still been a really fun experience and I understand why you and others like swimming in this kind of meet. I probably got the biggest cheer from the crowd last night. I also had a number of people coming up afterward who I did not know congratulating me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice going!!!

BTW...what were your lifetime best times from "back in the day?" Just wondering how close you're coming 20+years afterward.
    Thanks.

I think my biggest challenge with masters has been trying to draw a line between what I did in college and what I am now doing in masters. Despite my best efforts I keep thinking I should be closer to my college times. My best events in college were the 200 and the 500. I went 1.36.8 and 4.20.6 in these. My third event was the mile and I was about 15.30 on this. I was a much better long course swimmer than a yards swimmer so I am looking forward to seeing if this is still the case. I don't think I ever did a 100 in college which looking back seems strange but I don't recall swimming it in college.
    The 500 was a nice improvement from the last meet! Nice job and stay positive you are a great swimmer!