View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Greater Southwest Invitational Day 2 Prelims

Rate this Entry
I had a good nights sleep last night but felt quite heavy when I woke up. This heaviness stuck around through my meet warm up but towards the end of the warmup we did some up tempo 50s and I started to feel much better. I went for a short swim a few events before my 200 and felt good and strong. This taper has been different to my last one in that I have not felt easy speed. I have felt strong but not my normal zippy self. I was in heat 7 out of 12 and not in the final 3 heats with the really quick kids. The event was strange from heat one because the slowest entered swimmer went 1.48.9 and then in Heath 3 another slow entry swimmer went 1.42. I tried focusing on my race and ended up stopping looking at the times. I had a good start and felt strong but easy through 100 and then started working my kick and swam away from everyone on the second 100. My times:

1.48.04 - 25.39, 27.60, 27.66, 27.39

Once again I had hoped to swim quicker but I was happy with the splits and considering I won the heat by 4 seconds I think there is a faster swim in me for sure. I just missed the A final but will be the third fast seed for the B final so will get another go tonight.

Submit "Greater Southwest Invitational Day 2 Prelims" to Digg Submit "Greater Southwest Invitational Day 2 Prelims" to del.icio.us Submit "Greater Southwest Invitational Day 2 Prelims" to StumbleUpon Submit "Greater Southwest Invitational Day 2 Prelims" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Nice job on that 200, Stewart!
    This taper has been different to my last one in that I have not felt easy speed. I have felt strong but not my normal zippy self.
    Do you think you weren't rested quite enough? Seems like you've really ramped it up in the training and maybe your body is more fatigued than it has been.

Nice 200 and great splits!
    Stewart, that's a rocking swim.

As for your taper, your body might be different, but I discovered in the last few years that I need a lot more taper as a 40-something guy and I swim nowhere near the yardage or intensity that you do. Back in college, I couldn't do much more than a 3-5 day taper and was still doing 3-4K the day before a big meet. Now, I've dropped to 2500 about 4-5 days ahead of a meet and go down to a 1,000 to 1,200 the day before a big meet.

You might want to see if there is a SCY meet in early May that you could try a bigger taper for as a mid-way checkpoint on your way to worlds. That would be perfect timing. And, oh yeah, we've got this little meet in early May in Santa Clara
    Awesome swim with some great splits!

I also wonder if you might need a slightly longer taper. Patrick's idea to trial something different ahead of Worlds is worth consideration and discussion with your coach.
    Nice going, and great splits!
    Stewart, I was offline all weekend and didn't see your results but great job. I wouldn't be disappointed in your results at all. You may not have hit your goals but I still believe they're achievable. I completely agree with Patrick about tapering. Your body is much different now and I'm betting you need alot more rest than you allowed. Plus, it's hard to taper for a 50 and a 500. You're experimenting right now with what works for you and I'm convinced you have a flat :48 in you and a sub 4:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Stewart, I was offline all weekend and didn't see your results but great job. I wouldn't be disappointed in your results at all. You may not have hit your goals but I still believe they're achievable. I completely agree with Patrick about tapering. Your body is much different now and I'm betting you need alot more rest than you allowed. Plus, it's hard to taper for a 50 and a 500. You're experimenting right now with what works for you and I'm convinced you have a flat :48 in you and a sub 4:50.
    agree here. I was expecting a 48 100 and a sub 4:50 500, but it looks like insufficient taper. If you light up the pool in practice this week, you'll know for sure.
    Everyone, I sincerely appreciate all the kind words and support. I was very disappointed with my performances and definitely did not perform like I know I am capable of performing. I think there is some great feedback in your posts and will take it all on board in the next few days as I try to look at my entire training cycle and try to adapt for the next round of my journey to worlds. Thanks everyone.