View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Me no likey sprint...

Rate this Entry
by , January 20th, 2014 at 10:14 PM (226 Views)
Well, we're gearing up for next weekend's "all 50s" meet. Scotty and I are going to Evanston, IL for their masters meet (I need to sign up here in the next day or so).

This last week has been a little tough for me, missed a couple of days. One was a planned rest day (last Tuesday--after 13 days straight in the pool). Another missed day was just a case of poor planning... I ran out of time and then at the end of the day decided to go to the neighborhood pub with my wife instead of to the YMCA. I figured, what the heck... long week, we had an hour and a half to kill while we waited for our youngest to get out of basketball practice, and I could make up the yardage on Saturday. Then Saturday rolled around and b/c I hadn't gone in on Friday I didn't see the notice that the YMCA pool would be closed for most of the day for an age-group meet. Dang. "OK, no problem... I can still get in a good 1.5-2 hours before they close on Saturday afternoon, and still have time to get my son to his 6PM b-ball game." As I headed out the door my wife asked if I would be back in time to get him to his 5:15 game in Racine... 5:15? I thought it was 6... oh man. By the time I helped the lifeguards clean up from the meet a little and could get into the pool I only had about 15 minutes to actually swim before I needed to hit the showers and head back out into the snow-slowed traffic. 800 yards, feeling really creaky.

So I was headed into yesterday's 80 x 25 on :45 on a pretty low yardage week. At the end of the main sets we time-trialed some 50s to get a better idea about where our seed times should be. My 50 fly was about :39, the back, :37-:38, breast was around :45 and free was :31. Scotty is going to kill me in breast and fly. I just don't have any speed with the short axis stuff. I'll take him by about a second in the back, and our freestyle is going to be really close... so the most I can hope for in the 50s face-off is a draw... and, no, please don't add up the cumulative time over the four events!

Today I did an interesting set with 75s. Here was the workout:

Warm-up (1000):
400 EZ (100 fr, 100 pull, 100 bk pull, 100 bk) on 9:00--this felt bad
4 x 100 IM on 2:00--these were slow, really slow
4 x 50 pull/fr on 1:00--yuck.
1:00 rest--pondering whether I should even continue at this point...

Main Set (2200):
6 x 75 fly on 2:00 (1:10-1:12--goal 200 pace)
100 recovery
6 x 75 bk on 2:00 (1:13-1:14--goal 500 pace? these were terrible!)
100 recovery
6 x 75 br on 2:00 (1:23-1:25--actually faster than expected)
100 recovery
6 x 75 fr on 1:40 (1:00-1:02--probably a reflection of my 200 pace right now)
100 recovery

Cool-down (300):
6 x 50 fr/pull on :55

3500 SCY/70-75 minutes

TOTALS YTD:
Swimming: 28+ miles
Rowing: 30.5 K

Submit "Me no likey sprint..." to Digg Submit "Me no likey sprint..." to del.icio.us Submit "Me no likey sprint..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Me no likey sprint..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck on your upcoming meet!
    Thanks! We'll see how it goes and I'll make sure to report back here.