View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

50s Face-Off Meet...

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
by , January 26th, 2014 at 10:40 PM (232 Views)
Scotty and I made the trek down to Evanston, Illinois bright and early this morning for our "50s Face-off." Normally about a 45-minute drive, it was closer to an hour on mostly unplowed, snowy roads. At least the blowing snow held off until this evening, so travel conditions weren't too bad.

Great venue for a meet (Swim-Swam rated it #8 in its "top-ten must visit sites for a swim meet"). There's a picture of it at the bottom of the Evanston Master's home page:

http://www.evanstonmasters.com

Scotty won the face off... darn it! I almost swam him to a draw, but on our final event, swimming right next to each other, I mis-timed my back finish and lost just enough momentum that he slid in and out touched me... if I had taken one more stroke I would have had it! Here were the times:

50 Breast = :44.94 (seed :47)
50 Fly = :38.08 (seed :40--first time breaking the 40-second barrier!)
50 Free = :29.70 (seed :30.95--first time breaking the 30-second barrier!)*
50 Back = :39.84 (seed :38)

*I beat Scotty by .14 in the freestyle, which had him sweating because he didn't think he would take me in the backstroke... I usually beat him by a second or two in a 50, but like I said I goofed the finish and apparently didn't have any room for error... if only I had warmed up a little better before that event, or if only I had taken that extra stroke, or if only if I'd had more yardage in this winter so far and hadn't been fading as badly toward the end of my meets lately, or if only I'd had a few swigs of gatorade before the final heat... so many "if only-s"! Now I have to live with the shame... forever, Scotty assures me, because he will never swim a backstroke event again in his entire life.

We did have a blast though, lots of good swimming. And... despite the fact that Scotty and I were the only two men to show up from WMAC (Wisconsin Masters Aquatic Club), we still scored enough points between the two of us to rank 11th out of 22 teams. Cue banana:

Submit "50s Face-Off Meet..." to Digg Submit "50s Face-Off Meet..." to del.icio.us Submit "50s Face-Off Meet..." to StumbleUpon Submit "50s Face-Off Meet..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

How fun! Kudos for great swims!