View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 70 - Tuesday

Rate this Entry
I felt tired this morning. I helped my son with his math project last night which despite him being very smart was quite frustrating; he did not want to do the project despite me offering this past weekend. We powered through it and I gave him the help he asked for but he did the project and it turned out great.

This is morning it was cold again and this did not help me get motivated. That said I did swim and enjoyed the main set. This is the first time we have done this one and I ended up pushing pretty hard. It was fun.

Warm up
1000 free with snorkel
10x2 turn 50s on 45.

Main set
6x(100 fast swim free on 1.20, 75 kick on 1.20 beating your time from the 100)
2x500 pull breathing 3,5,7,9 by 50 on 6mins
10x25 on 30 focusing on breakouts and hand entry

warm down
200 easy

Total 4000scy

i started out going 1.03 on the 100 swim and 1.02 on the kick. By the last round I was down to 58 on the swim and 58 on the kick. This was fun trying to push myself. I went very easy on the 500s but the breathing 9 was very hard because I only do 9 strokes per length when wearing paddles so ended up taking 1 breath. After a while I deliberately breathed mid poll and did the turn with no breaths. The breakouts were good. I watched video of my meet 100 and I lost half a body length per turn on the fast kids. I think I have a lot of room to improve my turns. When I get tired I get lazy with my first breath too.

Submit "Week 70 - Tuesday" to Digg Submit "Week 70 - Tuesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 70 - Tuesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 70 - Tuesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Stewart, here's another option for a taper meet before Worlds -- http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...313#post294313. It might be too soon for you, but we should have some decent enough competition for you.
    Patrick I would love to do this but it's unlikely I will be able to get away with it. I am planning on swimming the south central zone meet the week before in Shenandoah, Tx. My wife has made some comments recently that makes me think I need to spend some time with my kids outside of swimming so I am not confident I can make two travel trips work back to back. Thanks for thinking of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    My wife has made some comments recently that makes me think I need to spend some time with my kids outside of swimming so I am not confident I can make two travel trips work back to back.
    Oh, man, your wife should not talk with mine! I have totally been there ... and, trust me, will be there again. The big reason I have added some Friday-only attendance at meets in California (despite the meet going the full weekend) is because I can only reasonably get one long weekend trip to race in a year. I managed to get to both Nationals in 2012, but that was a rarity. My only big travel meet solo this year will be Santa Clara for the very same and very sane reason of family and spousal harmony.
    From the spousal POV, it kinda sucks to have a hubby who works long hours and travels and then thinks he can spend all his free time exercising. Raising kids solo gets really old and trying. you had kids to help raise them. It's really best to avoid spousal resentment on this issue! Patrick is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    From the spousal POV, it kinda sucks to have a hubby who works long hours and travels and then thinks he can spend all his free time exercising. Raising kids solo gets really old and trying. you had kids to help raise them. It's really best to avoid spousal resentment on this issue! Patrick is right.
    Not to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else, but...

I did enjoy my time with my USAS team, but other things did end up taking priority for me. One was my career change, which it did force me to quit from the heavy commitment I had done the previous year. Family time is still a slight issue since I work on one of the back shifts, but overall things are more happy for everyone.

I have also cut back over the past year or two on the number of masters meets I do. Yes, I still do all the LMSC meets, but I have pretty much cut out 80-100% of my "other LMSC" travel. This saves both time and more importantly money expense. When I do plan for these trips, I try not to surprise my wife with "I'm going to Idaho this weekend", but have actually gotten the whole family involved in the travel trip. It gets them out of the house as well, and the kids make good cheerleaders too!

Enjoy your USAS training and competition this year, but I would make some serious thought into how long you plan to ride this ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Oh, man, your wife should not talk with mine! I have totally been there ... and, trust me, will be there again. The big reason I have added some Friday-only attendance at meets in California (despite the meet going the full weekend) is because I can only reasonably get one long weekend trip to race in a year. I managed to get to both Nationals in 2012, but that was a rarity. My only big travel meet solo this year will be Santa Clara for the very same and very sane reason of family and spousal harmony.
    I have tried selling her on how me getting healthy will increase my quality of life as I age and despite her acknowledging the value of this, it pales in comparison to the loss of time right now. Despite working out at 5 in the morning being hard on me, I do it because it means I can spend time with the family most evenings. The challenge is always work, weights(which I can't do in the mornings) and meets. I think we have a decent working understanding but every once in a while my OCD gets out of control and I require a nudge or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    100% agreed. I love my wife and my kids and would never deliberately do anything to hurt any of them. That said I can get so focused on various things from time to time and need a realignment every once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Enjoy your USAS training and competition this year, but I would make some serious thought into how long you plan to ride this ride.
    I only train with the USAS team very occasionally. Work means I can only swim with the kids if I have a day off or a once in a while on a Saturday. I do enjoy swimming and training with the kids but training would be a big commitment I know I can't make due to my other commitments and responsibilities. I was even asked if I wanted to coach the kids and turned this down not out of lack of desire to do it but rather the time commitment required. The competition part is fun from two perspectives; one is definately selfish and that's that I enjoy racing and this provides a competitive platform every meet. The second reason is the most cool and valuable reason and that's that I get to hang out with my daughter at meets. I have found this very unique and highly rewarding. We have always been close but this seems to have provided some shared experiences I will cherish forever. As she grows I may have to phase this out if she does not want Dad on deck, but when it happens it happens, and until then I will enjoy every minute of it.