View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

At least I can enter meets!

Rate this Entry
by , January 28th, 2014 at 09:56 PM (78 Views)
I never really liked pulling even when my coaches asked me to do it; being forced to pull now because I can't kick is the definition of torture. But, I did get in the water on Saturday (1,000 SCY), Monday (1,500 SCY) and today (1,750 SCY), so that's progress. I am walking fine and pretty much without pain in my foot, as long as I don't try to flex it forward beyond 90 degrees. The better, look-to-the-future news is that I actually did a couple of laps tonight where I took the buoy out and sort of, kind of swam, with a nice left foot kick snap and a semi-up and semi-down more than just floaty motion on my right (injured) foot.

If I can't swim much, at least I can enter meets and signed up for the Sun Devil Sprinter Spectacular on Feb 23rd (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1044&smid=5255)
  • 1000 free - but only because there is no 400 IM. I'll swim 400 IM and then cool down
  • 25 Fly
  • 25 Back
  • 50 'anything goes' free (definitely wearing the B70 Nero Comp)
  • 100 'any order of strokes' IM (am thinking breast, fly, free, back)
  • 25 Breast
  • 100 free (*really, a real event*)
  • 25 Free
  • 25 Back

Given that this meet is less than a month away, the 25s might be the only thing I really end up swimming!

Submit "At least I can enter meets!" to Digg Submit "At least I can enter meets!" to del.icio.us Submit "At least I can enter meets!" to StumbleUpon Submit "At least I can enter meets!" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

What a totally FUN swim meet! I've never seen anything like that around these parts. So jealous!!
    Why not go Breast, Free, Fly, Back? Breast of course first to get the dive advantage, then turn to Free. I would use the freestyle flipturn to go into a long SDK for the Fly, then a normal Fly to Back IM turn for the final length. Plus you can get a nice gulp of air on the open turn for some good SDKs on the back.
    Or if your kicking legs are out of commission, forget anything I just wrote. Hope it all heals well.
    jaadams1 - how is he going to do breast if he can't kick, silly boy?
    pwb - I feel your pain. Broke three ribs a few years ago (fell down my spiral staircase coughing w/double pneumonia) and I could barely swim, had to gently slip into the water, take shallow breaths, couldn't flip & could only do open turns in one direction. It was a very frustrating few weeks of recovery. But this too shall pass. Think of Diane Uustal and all the times of recovery SHE has had! Chin up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    I think his hope is that he's well enough to swim by the time the meet rolls around, otherwise he won't be swimming much of anything.
    I posted last week how he really needs to not swim for 2 weeks... I've been through 2 sprained ankles in the past few years, and I've learned the hard way. Each day you try to exercise before it is healed will put you about a day behind the healing curve. I've done my time at the gym pool simply walking across the pool. It seems rather silly to do it, but in the long run, it actually does help (while swimming certainly does not).

pwb--once you're well enough, I would suggest doing some light kicking with short blade fins. It sounds like it wouldn't help, but it actually does help quite a bit. I think it was Fort who suggested this to me the last time I had a sprained ankle. The foot part of the fin actually helps hold things together and provide some stability for your foot.

That said, this does sound like a fun meet. Perhaps I'll actually do it. I'll have to see what my schedule looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaL
    What a totally FUN swim meet! I've never seen anything like that around these parts. So jealous!!
    Yes, they have done variations of this the last two years. Last year, the 50 'anything goes' was a 50 with fins, but we had to start in the water. I'm going to have to check out just how 'anything' they are willing to permit. My ideal would be:
    • Dive from blocks
    • Monofin
    • B70 Nero full body tech suit
    • Do this as SDK, breathing once before the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Why not go Breast, Free, Fly, Back? Breast of course first to get the dive advantage, then turn to Free. I would use the freestyle flipturn to go into a long SDK for the Fly, then a normal Fly to Back IM turn for the final length. Plus you can get a nice gulp of air on the open turn for some good SDKs on the back..
    That is actually a very good idea.
    I really hope to be able to kick in
    pwb - I feel your pain. Broke three ribs a few years ago (fell down my spiral staircase coughing w/double pneumonia) and I could barely swim, had to gently slip into the water, take shallow breaths, couldn't flip & could only do open turns in one direction. It was a very frustrating few weeks of recovery. But this too shall pass.
    I have to believe that broken ribs are MUCH more painful than anything I'm going through. For someone who doesn't kick too much when I swim, I am astounded at how much having one bum foot impacts my overall stroke. I know how important my core is; having broken ribs sounds downright debilitating.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I think his hope is that he's well enough to swim by the time the meet rolls around, otherwise he won't be swimming much of anything.
    I posted last week how he really needs to not swim for 2 weeks... I've been through 2 sprained ankles in the past few years, and I've learned the hard way. Each day you try to exercise before it is healed will put you about a day behind the healing curve. I've done my time at the gym pool simply walking across the pool. It seems rather silly to do it, but in the long run, it actually does help (while swimming certainly does not).
    Well, I listened to you ... at least 57% of it as I stayed out 8 days instead of 14! That was all I could bear. With no offense intended, I hope you're wrong (for me) about the part I italicized above!

pwb--once you're well enough, I would suggest doing some light kicking with short blade fins. It sounds like it wouldn't help, but it actually does help quite a bit. I think it was Fort who suggested this to me the last time I had a sprained ankle. The foot part of the fin actually helps hold things together and provide some stability for your foot.
    That's a great idea. So, using something like a Finis Zoomer -- http://www.finisinc.com/z2-gold-zoomers.html?

That said, this does sound like a fun meet. Perhaps I'll actually do it. I'll have to see what my schedule looks like.
    You should try it. Hopefully, Paul will encourage a big group from MMAC to come out for it.
    My long blade fins worked fine for my last ankle sprain. Just don't go too crazy on the walls with that ankle. They take a long time to fully heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    My long blade fins worked fine for my last ankle sprain. Just don't go too crazy on the walls with that ankle. They take a long time to fully heal.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Well, I listened to you ... at least 57% of it as I stayed out 8 days instead of 14! That was all I could bear. With no offense intended, I hope you're wrong (for me) about the part I italicized above!

You should try it. Hopefully, Paul will encourage a big group from MMAC to come out for it.
    So long as you're doing all the other stuff you should be doing for the ankle, maybe it won't be so bad. And maybe it wasn't as bad of a sprain either. When sitting at your desk, elevate (an upside-down garbage can works nicely), ice (probably 3-4 times a day), wrap in an ace bandage, and try to rest it as much as you can.

As I noted in my post today, if I don't do this ASU meet, I probably won't do a SCY meet this year. I think my last was 3 or 4 years ago. I just don't get too jazzed over SCY. Right now it does look like I can do it, from an availability standpoint at least.