Tuesday, May 12

Rate this Entry
Weights:

dead lift, 110 x 2 x 10
narrow grip row, 110 x 2 x 10
standing lat pulldown, 150 x 2 x 10
alternating hammers, 25 x 2 x 20
goblet squats, 40 x 2 x 15
chin ups, 1 x 10 (I need to do these before the very end of my workout.)
external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side

hanging reverse ab crunches w/sling, 2 x 25
elevated crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
russian twists w/med ball, 2 x 25
twisting cable w/yoga ball, 40 x 3 x 15, both sides
hip hinges, 10 DBs x 2 x 10, each leg
forward lunges w/med ball twist, 2 x 20
incline crunches w/med ball above head, 2 x 25

10 minutes stretching

15 minute break to drive to pool while eating a balance bar and ...

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

Aerobic Sets:

The Quicksilver set:
10 x 100 backstroke
1-3 @ 1:25
4-6 @ 1:20
7-9 @ 1:15
10 easy

(Started off slower than last time, much slower actually, with a 1:14. I think I hovered around this time the whole set until the last couple. Much slower than last time. Still feel sluggish.)

50 EZ

8 x 50 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:00
more rest on these intentionally
went 27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 28, 29, 28

50 EZ

8 x 50 dolphin kick on back @ 1:00
went 25, 25, 26, 25, 25, 25, 24, 23

100 EZ

Speed Work:

4 x 50 @ 1:00
25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ
1 minute rest
4 x 50 @ 1:15
25 AFAP free + 25 EZ
1 minute rest
4 x 50 @ 1:15
25 fast doggie paddle drill + 25 EZ

200 C/D

Total: 3500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still don't feel great. But then I guess in this early part of the season being broken down some is normal. I wonder if it's the aerobic work? Or it could just it may take awhile to get back after the illness/taper/time off around Zones and I should be more patient.

In any event, I'm going to make sure I'm doing some speed work at every practice. Didn't feel like I had any speed at all.

Got a few comments from some athletes I totally respect opining that yes, indeed, it is difficult to combine sprint swim training with running. But it seems like some aerobic running shouldn't hurt that much.

Submit "Tuesday, May 12" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, May 12" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, May 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, May 12" to Google

Updated May 13th, 2009 at 04:14 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

it is difficult to combine sprint swim training with running. But it seems like some aerobic running shouldn't hurt that much.
    My friend, a former top ten finisher in the IronMan, said that track running will spark the sprinting. I believe him, he's gone a 32 minute 10k at the end of an olympic tri. Long aerobic runs are great calorie burners and help you recover from swimming...as long as you don't deplete all your glycogen stores.

Fuel up after each run. Juice, or fruit, or a breakfast treat...or chocolate milk.
    You have a 1/2 hour window to get some sugar back in your muscles and liver...or you'll bonk during the next day's swim or run.

You still do that set in blocks of 3's ...which is harder that way!
    Have you tried 1:25, 1:20 1:15, 1:25 1:20 1:15...etc?

I may try it your way, just to ensure chest pain!
    We'll call it "the Fortress set".
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    My friend, a former top ten finisher in the IronMan, said that track running will spark the sprinting. I believe him, he's gone a 32 minute 10k at the end of an olympic tri. Long aerobic runs are great calorie burners and help you recover from swimming...as long as you don't deplete all your glycogen stores.

Fuel up after each run. Juice, or fruit, or a breakfast treat...or chocolate milk.
    You have a 1/2 hour window to get some sugar back in your muscles and liver...or you'll bonk during the next day's swim or run.

You still do that set in blocks of 3's ...which is harder that way!
    Have you tried 1:25, 1:20 1:15, 1:25 1:20 1:15...etc?

I may try it your way, just to ensure chest pain!
    We'll call it "the Fortress set".

Thanks Quick.

I don't want to do track running though. I like my zen trail runs. And I have this notion that I'd pull something if I sprinted on the track ... lol

You know, looking back, I'm not sure I adequately fueled after the last one. I think I forgot to eat lunch that day, as I had a late breakfast. That could be the culprit! Ahelee told me I should be able to get a couple short runs in, so I guess I'll just persist for awhile.

OK, I'll have to try "the set" that way next time!
    You're welcome. It's best to think as being a swimmer who runs. Not the other way around.
    Running for swimmers is a great active recovery. Nothing more.

And it won't hinder your swimming unless you tear to tear a hammie or something.
    Stay away from the tracks!
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Running for swimmers is a great active recovery. Nothing more.
    And that's where I want it to stay! Some seem to think that it adds an aerobic component as well. I guess it must help marginally in this area. I think of it more in the sane/lean vein.
    Wow- yards and weights. I'm glued to this blog 'til August.
    "...chin ups, 1 x 10 (I need to do these before the very end of my workout.)"

COWARD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Wow- yards and weights. I'm glued to this blog 'til August.
    I do this double pretty frequently, Pete! Usually there's about 15 minutes between workouts. I'm hoping to get some more time between the weights and swims this summer -- going to try to get to LC practices on Tues & Thurs nights once school's out. If the Tuesday practices don't just kill me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    "...chin ups, 1 x 10 (I need to do these before the very end of my workout.)"

COWARD!
    I was a tuckered out Fortress. You win our informal chinning competition for today. But watch out, Stud!
    I think the zen running / active recovery running is a good complement to swim training. I think it will do more for your aerobic base and help your 100 (or 200??) versus 50. I actually was running last fall during the SCM season (not more than 3 miles), but stopped during the SCY season. I've started back up as I hope that the additive base will still allow me to train a lot of faster stuff in the pool, but still build some deeper endurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    I think the zen running / active recovery running is a good complement to swim training. I think it will do more for your aerobic base and help your 100 (or 200??) versus 50. I actually was running last fall during the SCM season (not more than 3 miles), but stopped during the SCY season. I've started back up as I hope that the additive base will still allow me to train a lot of faster stuff in the pool, but still build some deeper endurance.
    I saw that WHOLE mile, Patrick! Had a chuckle over it. You'll be back in shape soon enough. I have a friend that is a regular runner and trains for some races. She thinks the running helps her 200 free LC the most in terms of summer training. More additive aerobic work is a good thing.
    Leslie... I'm going for my first running session in at least 8 months tomorrow with the Tri La Vie girls.

I like the trails and the track for running. Nothing in between...
    Going to keep it light for now though - 30 minutes or less.

I have been jogging with Dudley several times. Only a block or two at a time, but his legs are little weenies and I can keep up with him!

Good luck at the regatta -
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    Leslie... I'm going for my first running session in at least 8 months tomorrow with the Tri La Vie girls.

I like the trails and the track for running. Nothing in between...
    Going to keep it light for now though - 30 minutes or less.

I have been jogging with Dudley several times. Only a block or two at a time, but his legs are little weenies and I can keep up with him!

Good luck at the regatta -
    Yep, asphalt and cement are killers!

Hope you had a good run. 30 minutes is a good start. Though with your running background, you'll be back quickly.