View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 71 - Monday

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Had a very restless night of sleep last night. My parents go home to the UK today and for what ever reason I could not stop thinking about how quick there 7 week visit went and the next time I see them it will be right before worlds. Today's workout was long and mostly aerobic swimming.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
8x500 pull on 6 mins working turns, swum as odds pressing first 250 and evens pressing the second 250.
300 kick

Warm down
100 easy

Total 5100 scy

I held between 5.10 and 5.15 on the 500s pull and felt strong throughout.

Submit "Week 71 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 71 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 71 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 71 - Monday" to Google

Updated February 3rd, 2014 at 02:53 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Stewart are you doing your pull sets with paddles and a bouy or just the bouy?
    Good grief. That's an insanely strong workout
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Stewart are you doing your pull sets with paddles and a bouy or just the bouy?
    We typically pull with paddles and a bouy. My pull sets have got better and better over the past 6 months(actually more generally my swimming has got a lot better). On this set I was actually under instructions to keep my heart rate within a range so this was swum somewhere around 85-90% effort. I was not swimming slow(obviously) but I also had soemthing in the tank too.
    Not bad. I managed 1 x 500 Pull this morning, but it was slow and relaxed.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    We typically pull with paddles and a bouy. My pull sets have got better and better over the past 6 months(actually more generally my swimming has got a lot better). On this set I was actually under instructions to keep my heart rate within a range so this was swum somewhere around 85-90% effort. I was not swimming slow(obviously) but I also had soemthing in the tank too.
    Thanks for the response. I am just getting back in the pool (1 month) after a 2 1/2 year layoff and enjoy reading your comeback story/history and documented workouts. Some great ideas here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Good grief. That's an insanely strong workout
    Thanks Mark. I actually felt pretty good and had some more in the engine. We tend do a long workout on mondays and I have seen steady progress over the last year as I track my aerobic sets like this. its quite encouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Thanks for the response. I am just getting back in the pool (1 month) after a 2 1/2 year layoff and enjoy reading your comeback story/history and documented workouts. Some great ideas here.
    Welcome back. I have had enormous fun getting back after being out so long and its been steady progress over the past year. Enjoy the journey!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Not bad. I managed 1 x 500 Pull this morning, but it was slow and relaxed.
    Thanks James.

I have to thank you for a lot of my motivation over the past year. i remember reading your workouts when you were swimming with the kids. I have not been able to train with the kids due to work, but I have really enjoyed competing against them as you said I would. I now even catch myself comparing my training swims with the kids which is also kind of fun. I am always the competitor.
    8x500 pull on 6 mins working turns, ...
    I held between 5.10 and 5.15
    Wow. Nice work. Not only do you have great conditioning, you must have shoulders of steel! 4k with paddles - makes my shoulders hurt thinking about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Wow. Nice work. Not only do you have great conditioning, you must have shoulders of steel! 4k with paddles - makes my shoulders hurt thinking about it!
    I have not had any shoulder issues since joining masters despite quite a lot of pulling. Obviously I watch them carefully and use ice as needed, but touch wood my shoulders have held up very well. At times I wish my lung capacity matched. I am in good shape but always feel like I could be in better condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Thanks James.

I have to thank you for a lot of my motivation over the past year. i remember reading your workouts when you were swimming with the kids. I have not been able to train with the kids due to work, but I have really enjoyed competing against them as you said I would. I now even catch myself comparing my training swims with the kids which is also kind of fun. I am always the competitor.
    Good to know. I do with I could keep doing it like you and Kirk (and others).