View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Wrong-way breaststroke

Rate this Entry
I had a nice solo swim at the Panama City Beach pool today—my first since I arrived, since the pool is closed on Sundays. It was extremely foggy and warm, with a little misting at the beginning that didn’t morph into the threatened thundershowers. Here’s what I did:

1000 scy warmup

5x thru

• 500 swim
  • :20 rest
  • 2 x 50 kick @ 1:00

[The kicks were all FL/BK, and the 500s were my usual traveling-backstroke set, except the part between the BKs was IM, as follows:

• 200 FR / 50 BK / 0 IM / 50 BK / 200 FR
  • 150 FR / 50 BK / 100 IM / 50 BK / 150 FR
  • 100 FR / 50 BK / 200 IM / 50 BK / 100 FR
  • 50 FR / 50 BK / 300 IM / 50 BK / 50 FR
  • 0 FR / 50 BK / 400 IM / 50 BK / 0 FR

I worked the IM, did the rest moderate.]

150 warmdown + bonus 100 lcm (see below)

Because I was the only one in the pool (and had been for most of the workout), I decided to end with a LCM 100, even though the lanelines were set perpendicularly for scy. I started out swimming underwater, coming up every three or so lanes for a breath, but I then discovered I could easily do breaststroke, gliding under each lane line and breathing once in each short course lane, without changing my stroke much. (Fly didn’t work so well—I couldn’t keep my stroke short enough). This was fun! I think I could be happy doing a breaststroke set this way, if the opportunity presents itself again.

Submit "Wrong-way breaststroke" to Digg Submit "Wrong-way breaststroke" to del.icio.us Submit "Wrong-way breaststroke" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wrong-way breaststroke" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My daughters age group practice group does this as a breaststroke drill pretty frequently. They use the width of the lane as the distance to come up, glide and dive forward under the lane line. It's cool because it forces you to glide and dive.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    My daughters age group practice group does this as a breaststroke drill pretty frequently. They use the width of the lane as the distance to come up, glide and dive forward under the lane line. It's cool because it forces you to glide and dive.
    Oh good! Now I can explain to the lifeguards that I am doing a serious, purposeful drill, not just finding new ways of goofing around in the water!