View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 71 - Tuesday

Rate this Entry
My parents flew home last night and its always sad for all of us when they leave to go back to the uk. My mum reads my blog so i will say it again, move here, we love you and miss you and Dad!!! Enough of the mushy stuff...on to the swimming

I had a good nights sleep and woke feeling strong and rested. Today's workout was really tough and despite not having any shoulder issues related to swimming so far I was very stiff and sore today. Tom and I discussed the fact that I have managed to drop my times on all of our test sets and that he wanted to gradually drop my workout times further. We discussed that where I am speed wise we will now need to drop a second or two per hundred as opposed to 5 seconds. So today we began this process and it was tough. 1-2 seconds does not seem like a lot but it made a huge difference today(combined with a 4k pull set yesterday obviously).

Today's workout

Warm up
4x125 on 1.45 swum as 100 free, 25 kick
4x125 on 1.45 swum as 100 IM, 25 kick

Main sets
4x(2x50 kick AFAP on 1min, 2x100 free on 1.03, 4x25 free with turn on 35)
12x75 free with snorkel working turns on 1min
10x50 free on 33

Warm down
100 easy

Total 4100scy

The warm up was different to our normal warm up and it took me most of the warm up to get loose. My shoulders were very stiff and my left shoulder was a little sore(it went away).

The main set was tough and by round 3 I was hurting pretty bad. I held 38-39 on the kick 50s and 1min-1.01 on the 100s. I used the 25s as active recovery. The 1st 100 was pretty easy but the second 50 of the 2nd 50 hurt and I had to concentrate to not shorten my stroke. The 75s I swum aerobically holding 48s throughout. The last round of 50s was rough but held 31s, so by the time I turned these were touch and turn the whole way. I hit A rhythm but I was so glad this was 10 and not 12 or else I think I would have failed. Overall a good workout but I am beat.

Submit "Week 71 - Tuesday" to Digg Submit "Week 71 - Tuesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 71 - Tuesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 71 - Tuesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I have been fairly swamped outside of the pool and not keeping up on blogs, but those intervals (1:03 and :33) look tough. When Tom talks about dropping 1-2 seconds, is he focused on your intervals getting faster and reducing your rest, or your pace getting faster? That is, would he want you to hold 58s and 59s on those 100s on 1:03 or was he happy that you made this set because previously the interval was 1:05? Or, will he mix those two concepts up?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I have been fairly swamped outside of the pool and not keeping up on blogs, but those intervals (1:03 and :33) look tough. When Tom talks about dropping 1-2 seconds, is he focused on your intervals getting faster and reducing your rest, or your pace getting faster? That is, would he want you to hold 58s and 59s on those 100s on 1:03 or was he happy that you made this set because previously the interval was 1:05? Or, will he mix those two concepts up?
    I did not explicitly ask but i assumed ideally it would be both. You bring up a good point and i will definitly ask him for clarification. This morning I was holding about the same pace I held on the 1.05s previously but on a shorter interval.

We are meeting on friday(although work may cause me to move it to Monday) after practice to discuss my observations from the last training cycles and my taper meet. We spoke briefly on Monday and one of the items we are going to discuss is whether to focus on a specific event rather than all free events.

We are going to review the overall training program we have been following, including my total yardage, pace work, speed training, training camps, etc. I enjoyed the 3 week cycles focused on specific areas, and i dont feel like i did too much total yardage. That said I feel I need a little more recovery time within the 3 week cycle. The biggest area I want to discuss with Tom is when we did speed work and then the taper.

Out of curiosity when you got back in the pool with masters did you feel like you had to relearn how to pace the 500 and 1000? I have felt pretty good about swimming and pacing the 200, but the 500 and the 1000 are a whole different story for me. I think I may be over thinking these events rather than just going for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Out of curiosity when you got back in the pool with masters did you feel like you had to relearn how to pace the 500 and 1000? I have felt pretty good about swimming and pacing the 200, but the 500 and the 1000 are a whole different story for me. I think I may be over thinking these events rather than just going for it.
    The 500 has never been hard for me to think about pacing, but the 1000 and 1650 have absolutely been difficult. Quite honestly, I don't think I train enough volume to be able to race either of those events and, while I know this, the few times I have swum them, I have tried to race them and they were painful. For some reason, I can figure out how to pace myself in an open water event to very often have a swim that is both enjoyable and a race, but I cannot seem to do that in the 1000 or 1650. With that said, I am going to try to swim/race both the 1650 and 1000 at our State Meet in early April ... I just need to get about training for them :0

The only times I felt great racing these distances were in the tech suit days, a time during which I had the twin advantage of the tech suit and some pretty consistent training.
    I asked for the clarification on the time drops we discussed yesterday and he said initially he was happy with my old hold time off a shorter interval but the goal is to drop my time within the interval also. Tom said he believes I can get back to going off one minute 100s holding 58s. I did a set of 100s after we switched from LCM to SCY this fall where I did exactly this but it seems like that was a one off at this point. I too believe this is possible but I know I will really have to work for an extended period to make this happen consistently. If I can get back to this level and not over think the 400/500 will be awesome. I dropped 7 seconds from last spring to my last meet and i know in myself i can go much faster. I am really looking forward to the discussion with Tom on Friday.
    You have been doing really good!! I really miss swimming with morning masters as much as I am accustomed to. Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    You have been doing really good!! I really miss swimming with morning masters as much as I am accustomed to. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks Nikki. We are missing you. I think Eileen may have given up since I have not seen her now for a week. She is lost without her training partner!

I really hope you are able to make Worlds. It won't be the same without you, but I definitely understand its about priorities(and money). As we discussed this morning the good thing is that you have time to decide).

See you bright and early on Friday.