View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 72 - Monday

Rate this Entry
My daughter had to go to an emergency care hospital last night as a result of running a fever and generally feeling quite sick. She had a 102F fever and was diagnosed with strep throat. My son woke this morning complaining of a sore throat so I suspect we will all end up with it in the next week.

I woke tired but no sore throat this morning. Today's workout was really tough and I was very tired when we were finished. As a result of sick kids I had to postpone my sit down with Tom to work on our training plan. Its hard to believe its only 26 weeks until worlds. We rescheduled our meeting until Friday.

Warm up
400 swim with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
8x500 swum as 2x(500 pull, 500 over kick, 500 negative split, 500 AFAP) on 5.50
10x50 kick on 1min

Warm down
100 double arm back

Total 5300scy

This is a lot of yardage in 70 minutes and with the 500s on 1.10 pace it was a high threshold day. I went 5.25, 5.30,5.25,5.10, 5.20,5.25,5.20,5.07. I swam all of these with paddles and 1 and 5 with pull bouy.

--------

We have had a few people ask to swim on our team at worlds and I found out over the weekend that it takes 60 days to reregister for another team meaning that it's not possible to reregister after nationals ahead of the 1st June registration deadline for worlds. This is a shame because people who don't have a team at worlds won't be able to do relays and it seemed joining a larger team would be a win win, but alas the timing does not work.

Submit "Week 72 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 72 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 72 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 72 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Good luck avoiding the illness! I felt tired all of last week and not very good in the pool. I was afraid I was coming down with something, but so far so good.
    I hope the household recovers from strep ASAP!
    4,000 with paddles is amazing at that pace. Nice work at 5:10 and 5:07 on 4 and 8! Out of curiosity what size/color (if Speedo) are you using?

Just to clarify the relays for worlds will not be "Team USA" unless all members belong to the same club?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Good luck avoiding the illness! I felt tired all of last week and not very good in the pool. I was afraid I was coming down with something, but so far so good.
    I felt rough on Thursday and worked from the house, but felt much better on friday so I dont think mine was the same. One of the guys I train with had a stomach bug last week and was hit pretty hard. Stay healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I hope the household recovers from strep ASAP!
    Both kids are now diagnosed with Strep. My wife tends to be more unfortunate than me getting sick from the kids and I hope she avoids it.

Thanks for the kind wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    4,000 with paddles is amazing at that pace. Nice work at 5:10 and 5:07 on 4 and 8! Out of curiosity what size/color (if Speedo) are you using?

Just to clarify the relays for worlds will not be "Team USA" unless all members belong to the same club?
    Thanks. I use the blue strokemaker paddles:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=104

I really like how paddles help my body position. I am going to drop my pulling yardage so that I incorporate more kick over the next few months.

I am no expert on the FINA rules, but its my understanding that all registered relay members have to be on the same club team. The challenge is that if you are going to Nationals you wont have time to reregister inorder to make worlds. It sort of sucks! Luckily my team has four guys who will make a good medley and free relay if I can convince them to get in shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am no expert on the FINA rules, but its my understanding that all registered relay members have to be on the same club team.
    Yes, that's my understanding too.

The Carroll, Clarke, Nelson, (Rowdy) Gaines relay doesn't look like it's going to happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    The Carroll, Clarke, Nelson, (Rowdy) Gaines relay doesn't look like it's going to happen!
    I think we would have a great shot if they had a 4x1650 relay!!!!
    I am thinking a 4x5,000m open water swim at Big Shoulders would put us on the map!