View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Monday, February 10, 2014

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
by , February 10th, 2014 at 09:40 PM (209 Views)
SCY@Fort Myers Aquatic Center
Air temp of 76, pool at 81
Partly sunny skies with humidity at 63%

Resuming my USMS Blog
This update brings mixed news. The good news is that I have been very busy with my professional contract work at UCF. The not so good news is that due to an injury accident during the last week of December, cold weather pool closures, and work travel to Orlando, the last seven weeks have been challenging.

I was playing with my daughter when we fell on the tile floor of our house where I landed on my left shoulder, elbow and forearm (but she was OK having landed on me). The aching in the left shoulder rotator-cuff area has subsided along with the tenderness just behind my left elbow. I restarted gentle weights and bands, two weeks ago, along with medium size paddle work in the water. This previous week was my first full week going between 3-4K each day.

The Lee County Senior Games meet is my next event, which I will enter this coming week. At this time, I am not planning to attend the Y meet in Sarasota.

The FGCU pool closure significantly impacted my swim training more than expected, as the FMAC cold weather policy is ridiculous, requiring a minimum a 70 degree high forecast to open. The FGCU Aquatic Center has become a worst possible case scenario with little expectations to be open again until late 2014. You would think that they would have obtained professional consultations before draining a 50 Meter pool and a 10-lane 25 yard pool in a flood zone area next to 20 acres of land similar to Everglade conditions. Needless to say, two pools that were working fine, are now empty (since early December) with serious issues. While I do not know the inside details, and no information has been provided so far, I find it difficult to understand it came to this circumstance.

Now I am slowly training my way back to "square one" or "first base" perhaps.

Warm up
400 FR as 2(50K/50RALA/50CU/50DPS

*Set 1*
5x50 FR on :50, as 25RALA/25CU *38-36
:30 rest
5x50 FR on :50, as 25RALA/25CU *36-34
5x50 FR on :50, as 25CU/25SPL-11 w/snorkel *35-34
5x50 FR on :50, as 25CU/25SPL-12 w/snorkel *34-32
---200 BK DPS

*Set 2*
4(5x50 FR on :50, :30 rest)
rds#1-2) *35-34 w/M-agility paddles-snorkel-tube-buoy
rds#3-4) *33-32 w/L-agility paddles-tube-buoy
---200 BR Kick

*Set 3*
6(4x50 FR on :50, :20 rest) w/fins, 1)kick on side, 2)25RA/25LA, 3)50 CU, 4)50 DPS
1)*34-30-29-27
2)*33-29-28-26
3)*33-30-29-26
4)*34-39-28-26
5)*33-30-28-26
6)*32-30-28-25
---200 D/kick on back

*Set 4*
4(5x25 FR on :40) 1)kick w/bd, 2)RA, 3)LA, 4)CU, 5)SPL-11/12
1)*18-15-15-15-13
2)*17-14-14-14-12
3)*17-14-14-14-12
4)*17-14-14-14-12

Warm down
10x50 FR on :50, SPL-10/11 *33-36 w/snorkel
200 IM EZ

Comments:
After feeling awful for two weeks, I am now beginning to feel like I can swim again. Eventually I hope to blend in some quality sets, base sets, and some IM sets.

Submit "Monday, February 10, 2014" to Digg Submit "Monday, February 10, 2014" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, February 10, 2014" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, February 10, 2014" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Sorry about the accident Frank, but I am glad your daughter is ok and I am really glad you are back in the pool, despite all the difficulties.

I have missed your daily blog. Welcome back.
    Ditto. Glad to hear you are on the comeback trail!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Sorry about the accident Frank, but I am glad your daughter is ok and I am really glad you are back in the pool, despite all the difficulties.

I have missed your daily blog. Welcome back.
    Thank you! This forum and all the wonderful people who blog and post comments help with my self motivation greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Ditto. Glad to hear you are on the comeback trail!
    Thank you Calvin, and now once again I will be inspired by workout postings from you, Stewart, and other forum bloggers.
    Welcome back, Frank, though I am very sorry to hear about both the pool and the accident. You will recover, for sure, though it will take some time. Let's hope that pool recovers, but it sounds like that's the way bigger unknown.
    Welcome back Frank! Injuries are a most annoying setback, but stuff happens. Glad you are on the mend. Hoping for 70+ degree weather for you!

Yes, I am hoping for the right kind of weather too! It is good to be on the mend, and I return with a greater appreciation of being able to train for fitness, competition, positive self esteem, along with being engaged with the local swim community and the online USMS forum community. There are many USMS swimmers who have encountered quite serious obstacles and circumstances beyond mine, where those stories of persistence, fortitude, and success are wonderful and amazing.
    Updated February 12th, 2014 at 10:52 PM by fdtotten
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Welcome back, Frank, though I am very sorry to hear about both the pool and the accident. You will recover, for sure, though it will take some time. Let's hope that pool recovers, but it sounds like that's the way bigger unknown.
    Thanks Patrick, your example of recovery is/was a good one. As for pools, I have other pools that I will eventually join as a hedge against various weather, time, and travel issues. I certainly hope that FGCU comes back online ASAP. However, just yesterday, I engaged in various speculative chatter with coaches of Swim Florida Club (Stephanie Peacock is one of their swimmers) regarding that lawsuits based on construction faults and rebuilding costs of the FGCU Aquatic Center will be pending between various agencies and consultants. So now, there is no light at the end of the tunnel.