View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 72 - Thursday

Rate this Entry
Today was another crazy work day and I had a customer visiting us to discuss becoming a business partner around a new software product we have developed. As a result of my work commitment i had to make todays workout shorter than i would have liked, however the intensity was way up today and i was very happy with how i did today despite waking up pretty tired.

Warmup
600 free with snorkel
12x75 on 1.05 swum as kick, drill, kick

Main sets
4x(200 free on 2.05, 4x50 kick on 50)

Warm down
200 easy

Total 3300scy

Yes the 200s were really on 2.05. When I saw the time Tom set I almost freaked but after deciding to just do my best I focused on keeping my stroke long. I held 1.58-2.00 and actually descended each 200 by round. My overall conditioning has been good for a while and this was definitely another confidence boost. Even with the 200s I worked the kick pretty hard and was holding 40-42 on these. The first 50 kick was typically my slowest of each round.

I went back in my flog from one year ago and in January 2013 I did my first masters meet and from the blocks I went 1.59. Today was a great workout and I have to keep reminding myself I have only been at this weight for a year and during that time have dropped a lot of time and I feel I have a lot more that I can drop. Today was a glass half full kind of a day.

Submit "Week 72 - Thursday" to Digg Submit "Week 72 - Thursday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 72 - Thursday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 72 - Thursday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

THAT's inspiring!
    Nice work on the 200's! You are definitely setting the bar very high. Glad I am in the 45-49 group - well not really since there are some beasts in this group also. I have a long way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Nice work on the 200's! You are definitely setting the bar very high. Glad I am in the 45-49 group
    Ditto that.
    That is an incredible set. Nice job!
    I did 6x100's on 1:15 and held 1:01-1:03's and then 4x200's pull on 3:00 with paddles and descended 2:08-1:58. That's all I had! Holding under 2:00 with no paddles is as Lance Armstrong says "Not Normal"!
    I might be able to make the first 200 on 2:05. Might. Then it would be a miracle if I could make the first kick and it would be downhill from there!
    When I saw the time Tom set I almost freaked but after deciding to just do my best I focused on keeping my stroke long. I held 1.58-2.00 and actually descended each 200 by round.
    IMO this says good things about your coach. A good coach knows the difference between challenging and impossible. A well designed set can be very intimidating, but not demoralizing. It appears that your coach hit the mark perfectly today. ...and I agree with the other forumites, that's one impressive set.
    Thanks everyone. I had two really challenging days but in hindsight two very satisfying practices. Todays in many ways was even harder than yesterdays.

Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    Glad I am in the 45-49 group - well not really since there are some beasts in this group also. I have a long way to go.
    My age group is pretty challenging with Kirk and a bunch of other quick guys but I am looking forward to swimming with some of the beasts in the next age group such as pwb and sunruh. I trained with Steve Unruh at Christmas and will actually be competing against him next weekend at the DAM SMU meet. I cant wait to race(he will probably kick my butt, but I love to race)!!! I age up next year so will be in the mix with the next age group then!!!