View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rate this Entry
by , February 13th, 2014 at 10:32 PM (375 Views)
SCY@San Carlos Community Pool
Air temp of 67, pool at 83
Partly sunny skies with humidity at 60%

Warm up
200 FR DPS
300 IM as 4(50DR/25Swim)

*Set 1*
1200 FR Swim as 6(50RALA/50CU,2[25DPS/25Fast])
---200 BR Kick

*Set 2*
4x300 FR on HR, 300 as [25 Strong/75 Steady, 2(25 Strong/25 Steady), 100 desc by 25 1-4 Steady to Fast]
/with agility paddles-snorkel
---200 BR as 25 K/bk, 25 DPS Swim

*Set 3*
3x200 Kick steady/fast by 25 on :30 rest, 1)BR, 2)BK, 3)Fly
2x200 IM kick/swim by 25 on :30 rest

*Set 4*
500 Fly as 4(25k/50dr/50swim) w/fins
400 BK as 4(25k/25dr/50swim) w/fins

*Set 5*
1000 FR Steady State ABPST w/fins-snorkel-agility paddles

*Set 6*
10x25 on HR, hypoxic-0, odd SDK, even FR @spl-9/10

Warm down
200 FR/Bk by 25
100 IM EZ

Comments:
It was a beautiful sunny 65F SWF day, and the FMAC was closed because the forecasted high temperature did not go up to 70F. I did some errands and headed south towards the San Carlos Community pool to renew my lapsed annual membership as an alternative to FMAC along with the uncertain time-frame for FGCU to reopen.

Name:  sancarlospool.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  43.4 KB

I swam occasionally at the San Carlos Community Pool during late 2011 and early 2012 before joining FGCU Aquatic Center with the 50 LCM facility. This 8 lane facility is managed by the Lee County Recreation and the aquatic staff is Star Certified versus Red Cross. Their cold weather policy is far more liberal, and lap swimming is available at earlier hours. The main drawbacks are a 3'6" shallow end, warm water, and the facility is closed on Sunday and Monday. The lifeguards and staff are the most professional in the area and the water chemistry is always in great condition.

Submit "Thursday, February 13, 2014" to Digg Submit "Thursday, February 13, 2014" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, February 13, 2014" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, February 13, 2014" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

So, Frank, are these pools not heated? Do they not have tarps?

I guess I don't understand this cold weather policy - is it a cost concern (e.g., too expensive to heat and/or not worth the staff time since enough people won't come to the pool) or a health concern (e.g., they fear people will get hypothermia)?
    The pools in Florida are the most photogenic swimming pools anywhere. It's a shame they have this stupid policy but it is a pretty pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    So, Frank, are these pools not heated? Do they not have tarps?

I guess I don't understand this cold weather policy - is it a cost concern (e.g., too expensive to heat and/or not worth the staff time since enough people won't come to the pool) or a health concern (e.g., they fear people will get hypothermia)?
    Yes, all the pools are heated, most likely too much for my preference.

The San Carlos Community Pool does has new tarps, I noticed them the first day I was there recently. I need to ask whether they were provided by Lee County Rec or the GCST USA Club that uses that pool.

The Fort Myers Recreation Department is a low budget operation, and all of their aquatic facilities are all understaffed with limited hours, in fact there is one 8 lane facility that rarely open. The weather policy was just bumped up to 70F this year (during the summer, I guess when no one was paying attention). Apparently there are no swimmers or swimming oriented administrators in the management level, and so they strive to trim budget expenses with any kind of pathetic justification in the name of health and safely possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    The pools in Florida are the most photogenic swimming pools anywhere. It's a shame they have this stupid policy but it is a pretty pool.
    Stuart, believe me - the pictures look better than actually being there. While training, competing in outdoor pools can be a great experience, there are many pros and cons for either indoor or outdoor facilities depending on so many variables. Some of the public pool and competitive aquatics issues in this part of SWF are more specific to the demographics and economic legacy of the region. I do my best to make the most of what there is for now in SWF. I am meeting new people each week on the pool decks who do triathlons, open water swimming, and there more emerging lap swimmers who want to learn more about becoming a better swimmer.