View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 72 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
The SCAC conference meet has been going on at our pool since Wednesday and a lot of age group practices have been affected by the meet. My daughters training group swam at 6.30 today so we were up and out earlier than usual for a Saturday. Instead of sitting around on deck for 30 minutes I hopped in the baby pool and warmed up. Just as I was about to do the masters session Tom asked if I would swim some fast swims from the blocks with his kids. I ended up doing a fast 100 and a fast 50 before jumping back in with the masters workout group. Today's practice had some more fast pace based 200s which everyone cringed audibly when it was announced. As I wrote earlier this week these suck and hurt like nothing else and today was no exception. Due to the number of workout groups we had far fewer lanes than normal and doubled up as opposed to a lot of my practices where I get a lane to myself. I know we are spoiled and I am not complaining at all.

Warm up
3x400 swim with snorkel with 20 seconds between 400s

Main sets
100 free from blocks AFAP
1min rest
50 free from blocks AFAP
2x(2x100 on 1.20, 4x50 drill swim by 25 on 50) (this was half the masters warmup)
2x(4x50 kick on 1min AFAP, 100 easy on 1.30)
3x(200 free on 2.05 AFAP, 50 back on 1min AFAP, 50 easy on 1min)
200 easy
6x50 with fins no breathing on 1.30

Warm down
200 easy

Total 4150scy

I went 50.82 with the electronic timing, and the kids told me I was out in 24 and back in 26 which are great splits for me. The 50 I felt really tight and went 24.46.

The fast kick I held 35 and 36s throughout and worked this set very hard. The 200 set was again very very hard but again I did great holding 1.58s on all three. Today's 200s were harder for a couple of reasons; the first being I had already done the fast 100 and 50 and worked a kick set. The second reason was that there was more splash from sharing the lane. Instead of circle swimming my lane mate and I split sides which helped a little. The rest of the workout was active recovery. At the end of practice my practice group hung out for a while in the pool and then on deck which was fun while I waited for my daughter to finish and get changed. Today was a lot of fun! I do think that 2.05 is now my new send off on this type of set but Tom dropped a hint today that I will be coming down to 2 mins over the next few months. It's great when your coach sees something in you, that you don't see yourself and he has been terrific to work with throughout my masters journey.

Submit "Week 72 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 72 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 72 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 72 - Saturday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

your pain threshold is remarkable. I cramp up just reading your sets. one question though: why such a tight interval on the 200s? is this b/c you're focused on longer races like the 500+? or is it just pain management?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    your pain threshold is remarkable. I cramp up just reading your sets. one question though: why such a tight interval on the 200s? is this b/c you're focused on longer races like the 500+? or is it just pain management?
    Thanks. I hope this pain theshold translates well to mid distance long course swimming this summer.

When Tom and I met last week we discussed working on both sprint work and pace work throughout my training program. The hope with these short rest swims is to work on back half pace of my mid distance events. We discussed some very specific things for me to concentrate on when i am hurting on the back half of my races, like my turns which I have mentioned previously and my kick which tends to slow from 6 beat to 2 beat when I am tired. At slow pace my fundamentals are pretty decent but when I really go for it they fall apart.
    just out of curiosity how did you do on the 50 backs after the 200's? Or did you use this as recovery?
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    just out of curiosity how did you do on the 50 backs after the 200's? Or did you use this as recovery?
    Thanks for asking. I tried working them as instructed but it was very hard. The first 25 in particular I was gasping for air. I was holding in the 35-37 range for the back and about the same on the easy 50. The back was definately not recovery but I was hurting.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Thanks for asking. I tried working them as instructed but it was very hard. The first 25 in particular I was gasping for air. I was holding in the 35-37 range for the back and about the same on the easy 50. The back was definately not recovery but I was hurting.
    OK good you are human after all!! Very impressive set on 200's. Thanks again for posting all your information for us to see where the bar sits. I would like to blog my comeback also but it would just be a repeat of a bunch of similar blogs out there. Thanks for responding also.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    I would like to blog my comeback also but it would just be a repeat of a bunch of similar blogs out there.
    I have used the blog for a number of things and I would not worry about yours being anything like anyone else's. If it is it is!! One good reason to blog is to look back and see where you have been. Perspective is a wonderful tool. I also use it along with go the distance to track my yardage which so helps you understand why you feel what you are feeling. I also love feedback and there are some terrific swimmers on this forum who are very open and willing to provide feedback and advice. Lastly I love to talk swimming and this way I am talking swimming with others who are as passionate as me(I would drive my wife nuts). Just start and you will be off to the races and it gets easier when it becomes a habit.