View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

Auburn SCY Invitational day 2

Rate this Entry
by , February 17th, 2014 at 03:39 PM (433 Views)
Before I get into day 2, I completely forgot about one of the cool things from day 1. Dave and I showed up early to check in for the 1650. Turns out the Auburn swim team was just winding down their workout. I'm 6'1" and about 185 lbs. There aren't a lot of places where I feel short and fat. This was one of those places. So, we sat down in the bleachers on the pool deck and enjoyed the rest of practice while head coach Brett Hawke paced back and forth in front of us. Suddenly, he turns around, looks at us and says "watch, this is one of the fastest swimmers in the world." We were partly shocked that he was even speaking to us mere mortals but equally intrigued at what was about to happen. Marcelo Chierighini (admittedly, I could not have picked him out of a lineup before this weekend) steps up on the blocks and rips off a 9.6 25 sprint - clock stopping after his feet touched on the turn. Cool stuff!

So, day 2 started off great but I got slower as the day went on. I'm coming to the realization that there's a hefty price to be paid for going all out on 4 long swims the previous day. I like the longer events. I do well in them and the points I score help my team compete against teams 20%-30% larger than we are. But don't think I can keep expecting to swim 8 events in 2 days and see time drops in all 8 events. I'll probably still enter 8 and swim them but I'll be a little more careful about which ones I decide to target for time drops. Here's my results for day 2:

500 Free
Seed time - 5:37.54
Meet time - 5:29.47 (1:03.11, 1:06.41, 1:06.62, 1:07.18, 1:06.15)
This is about what I thought I would do last year but my back injury kept me from going full speed. It's a good 8 second drop so no complaints. Might have taken the first 50 out a bit slower. The last 200 was very painful but I was able to maintain my speed.

200 Breast
Seed time - 2:34.13
Meet time - 2:33.97
This was a personal best but that's kind of a hollow victory. Here's my times from the last 5 years: 2:42.67, 2:39.09, 2:34.13, 2:34.24, 2:33.97. All of my 200s have improved far more than this over 5 years. Part of it may be that breaststroke was my best stroke when I started swimming. Part of it is that I was just tired at this point in the meet. But I think most of it is because I never practice it. I practice kicking breaststroke a lot and my kick times have improved. But aside from sets where we swim IM, I rarely swim breaststroke. This is something I want to change for next year.

50 Breast
Seed time - 32.33
Meet time - 32.16
Same as above. It's great to get a personal best but with my kick, I should be swimming the 50 closer to 30 seconds.

200 IM
Seed time - 2:22.58
Meet time - 2:24.40
This was every bit the train wreck that my 200 free was. I ended up in between two 30-34 year olds battling it out for 1st place in their age group. I went out 30.3 in the fly but both of them went well under 30. Their wake converged in my lane and I took two mouthfulls of water in my last 4 breaths. My backstroke push-off was mostly a coughing fit. Once I could breathe, I started hyperventilating. So, I slowed things down, focused on good long strokes and caught my breath again. After checking my splits, I was still close to what I had done last summer when I went 2:21. But by then, I'd had enough and just wasn't interested in pushing harder. It was just not my race but no big deal... I'll swim it again in the summer.

I split 25.99 for my free relay. It felt a lot faster than that but we won the relay. In all, I had a blast this weekend. Can't wait to get back to grinding out the yards.

Submit "Auburn SCY Invitational day 2" to Digg Submit "Auburn SCY Invitational day 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Auburn SCY Invitational day 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Auburn SCY Invitational day 2" to Google

Comments

I can't imagine doing that meet lineup over 5 days, much less in 2. Very impressive. You deserve to be worn out.
    Very cool to see someone that fast.
    Another great meet lineup day...I like it! And nice going again!
    The 500 was very nicely split and I think you need to be less harsh on yourself for that 200 breast. Swim it again without a 500 before it and I'm sure you'll see some nice drops. Also, a lot of ground can be made up with faster turns on a 200 breast, so focus there first in workout (says the guy whose coaches have always complained he loafs his breast turns in workouts).
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Another great meet lineup day...I like it! And nice going again!
    I have to give some credit the Seahawks for my 200 fly this weekend. Had the Broncos won and I didn't have to do the 1000 fly a couple weeks ago, I'm not sure I'd have been able to bring home that last 25.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    The 500 was very nicely split and I think you need to be less harsh on yourself for that 200 breast. Swim it again without a 500 before it and I'm sure you'll see some nice drops. Also, a lot of ground can be made up with faster turns on a 200 breast, so focus there first in workout (says the guy whose coaches have always complained he loafs his breast turns in workouts).
    No doubt my 500 impacted the 200 br. There was only one event (100 fly) in between the two races and I don't think there were more that 7 or 8 heats. I probably swam it on 45-50 minutes rest. I might inflate my 500 seed time next year and see if I can get a little more rest. I did great on the 200 fly after the 1650 but I had close to three hours of rest before I was back on the blocks for the fly. I do loaf my turns in practice. There's probably a second or more to be gained with better attention to that. The frustrating thing for me about 200 br is that I kick a 2:55 in practice. Adding an arm pull, dive, shave and taper should make 2:30 easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    I have to give some credit the Seahawks for my 200 fly this weekend. Had the Broncos won and I didn't have to do the 1000 fly a couple weeks ago, I'm not sure I'd have been able to bring home that last 25.
    See, butterfly isn't a bad thing! And you learned a lesson in the process not to bet against the #1 team.
    Great meet

And go Pats!