View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 73 - Wednesday

Rate this Entry
Today is my wife's birthday! After my workout last night my kids and I gave her, her birthday presents. It was fun as usual with my kids are there musical cards. They gave there mum a dancing sunning pickle birthday card and the irony is my wife hates pickles but loved the card. We will be going out for a celebratory dinner tonight which will be fun also.

I had a pretty rough nights sleep last night and my left shoulder is sore. It's not a hurt but rather a pinch so I will need to watch this over the next couple weeks. I am not at the point that it is stopping me do anything but I definately feel it when swimming. Today's workout like last night had some built in recovery which felt good.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45
10x50 kick on 50

Main sets
4x(3x100 pull on 1 min, 300 pull on 3.45)
200 easy
12x50 drill swim by 25 on 50
8x50 with fins underwater no breaths on 1.10

Warm down
200 easy

Total 5000scy

I held 59s on the 100 but struggled with turning with the pull bouy and making the send off so the send offs were more like 1.01s. The 300 was active recovery. Everything else was pretty straight forward. The hypoxic 50s are always tough and today was no exception.

Submit "Week 73 - Wednesday" to Digg Submit "Week 73 - Wednesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 73 - Wednesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 73 - Wednesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Nice set of 100's! That would would be a straight 300 for me and not sure I could make four of them on 3 mins yet. This week I have also gotten a slight pinch in my left shoulder. I have upped the paddle work/distance and also added weights to my paddles and I think this is what has caused it. I am backing off the paddles a little for the next few days just to recover a little to see if it helps.

1200 under min pace is impressive!
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarke
    This week I have also gotten a slight pinch in my left shoulder. I have upped the paddle work/distance and also added weights to my paddles and I think this is what has caused it. I am backing off the paddles a little for the next few days just to recover a little to see if it helps.
    Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, Chris. My coach pretty much shuns equipment of any kind, but I swam a different workout and put on the paddles for a set. Later that day my shoulder was really hurting. Luckily a couple days of ice and ibuprofen took care of it. But I think I'll go easy on the paddles. I've never had any problems with them before this.

And nice job Stewart!
    Kirk I added some weights to my paddles and that has definitely made a difference on the recovery portion of my stoke. I have reduced the amount of weight and that seems to help but I will cut back on total distance I am using them until I get "used" to the additional weight. Felt better in the pool today. It may just be a result of
    1200 under min pace is impressive!
    It's beyond impressive. Very nice workout, Stewart.
    This week I have also gotten a slight pinch in my left shoulder. I have upped the paddle work/distance and also added weights to my paddles and I think this is what has caused it. I am backing off the paddles a little for the next few days just to recover a little to see if it helps.
    not that I am in a position to add weight but I am curious how you add weight to the paddles?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Luckily a couple days of ice and ibuprofen took care of it. But I think I'll go easy on the paddles. I've never had any problems with them before this.
    Fingers crossed ice will do the trick for me also.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    It's beyond impressive. Very nice workout, Stewart.
    Fingers crossed the hard work will translate into some fast swimming this summer. Either way I am having a lot of fun despite the aches and pains.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    not that I am in a position to add weight but I am curious how you add weight to the paddles?
    I have added some metal plates and attached them to the under side of the paddles with washers, nuts, and bolts. I tried to attach a pic but blogs do not allow. Basically I added the plates to reinforce the paddles because I was splitting and breaking paddles on a regular basis. The net effect however is that all the hardware acts as additional weight and creates additional work especially on the push phase of the stroke and the recovery portion. Net effect? Jury is still out since I have only been training a month and a half and have not raced yet in a meet.