View RSS Feed

Blog

2|19|14 slow SCM drill day

Rate this Entry
by , February 19th, 2014 at 04:15 PM (291 Views)
Did about 1500M using fins and snorkel mostly doing drills. Also did about 200 of back to experiment with different turn techniques.

A couple new drills tried today:
1) One-arm free, weighted fist drill (1 lb) - this really synchronizes my kick and rotation with hand entry. My left side is way off, as in the early days my stroke developed while protecting the shoulder joint from dislocating. Shoulder is more stable now so I can fix this area.

2) human-paddle drill done as a "pull" stroke - can really get the feel of holding good water pressure. Also able to focus the load directly on the lats, all stretched out and stuff - felt good.

Submit "2|19|14 slow SCM drill day" to Digg Submit "2|19|14 slow SCM drill day" to del.icio.us Submit "2|19|14 slow SCM drill day" to StumbleUpon Submit "2|19|14 slow SCM drill day" to Google

Updated February 19th, 2014 at 07:03 PM by __steve__ (better description of drill)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So, does drill #1 become like a 'weighted fist drill' as you clutch the dumbbell?
    Yes, weighted fist drill is a more fitting name - thanks.

The 1lb seemed to do its work in the recovery part, in the water it is almost unnoticeable (like an unweighted fist) but the hand free falls at just the right rate. The movement was done easy and I used fins to keep me moving fast enough.

I have also done the same drill without the weight too, and can confidently say it has worked for me like that. Ran out of time today so I wasn't able to test the stroke (with a trial) after using the weighted version, but it definately had an interesting effect of feel while doing it.