View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wednesday, May 13

Rate this Entry
3.5 mile trail run

Meant to go a bit further, but ran into a runner friend and got distracted chatting. This might be a better distance than 10Ks for me anyway, I guess. Drove right to the pool and did:

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

20 x 25 UW shooters w/MF
5 x 4 each on belly, left side, right side, back

50 EZ

Aerobic Set:

3 x (6 x 50):

sets #1 & #3 backstroke
1 @ :50, 2 @ :45, 3 @ :40
4 @ :50, 5 @ :45, 6 @ :40

set #2, backstroke kick
1 @ :55, 2 @ :50, 3 @ :45
4 @ :55, 5 @ :50, 6 @ :45

So, I did this "Quicksilver" fashion. I did appreciate the relative recovery of the easier interval after the fast interval, but I had a bit of trouble keeping track of the intervals on the clock. lol.

100 EZ

Speed Work:

8 x (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)

100 EZ

50 back w/fins AFAP
Missed the turn and didn't get a good push off, went 26.5ish.

100 EZ

Total: 3000

Some stretching later at home + 3 x 15 push ups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Technique Notes:

1. I'm focusing on going deeper on my shooters and SDKs. I think I'm often too shallow when racing in meets for maximum efficiency and speed. (Some of that could be tech suit related. Need to stop being so lazy and try the thing in practice more often.)

2. I've been working on pressing my head and upper back back as I approach the break out on backstroke. (This was an Eddie Reese tip to Ande.) I think I'm getting better at this. But I feel like I often hesitate slightly upon breaking out before I start stroking. I guess I need to get my lead hand in motion sooner. Dave Holland noticed this hesitation at Zones on the 2nd breakout of my 50 back. Glad he told me!

3. My belly shooters aren't as efficient anymore. I noticed this yesterday when I was doing easy speed 25 flys. I didn't get as far with the usual number of dolphin kicks and I was taking an extra stroke each 25. I'm speculating that this is due to my obsessive focus on backstroke shooters/SDKs with the nose clip the last month. So, this was a nice reminder to not neglect the belly and side shooters.

4. I think my head is riding too high in my sprint frees. (See ehoch's last Speed Zone post) Made an effort to work on this today. I also think I'm still under utilizing my kick in the sprint frees. Need to do some over kick drills along with the AFAP 25 frees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Read this article in the NYT the other day: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/he...07fitness.html

I have to say I've tried many of these creams (Biofreeze, ibuprofen cream). Aside from perhaps very temporary relief, they don't seem to do a thing for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flutter kick tip of the day from a USS coach:

Kick as if your feet are in a 5 gallon bucket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lower knuckles on my index finger and thumb are somewhat sore. I wonder if this is from lifting? Or the chinning maybe?

Submit "Wednesday, May 13" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, May 13" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, May 13" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, May 13" to Google

Updated May 13th, 2009 at 05:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Sore fingers from gripping and lactic acid build up...
    When I used to play Association Football, the first few training sessions of the season would leave me wrecked and even my fingers would ache.
    Updated May 13th, 2009 at 09:37 PM by SwimStud
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Sore fingers from gripping and lactic acid build up...
    When I used to play soccer, the first few training sessions of the season would leave me wrecked and even my fingers would ache.
    Lactic acid? Wow, I never would have thought ... I don't want to have to ice my fingers!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Lactic acid? Wow, I never would have thought ... I don't want to have to ice my fingers!
    I'm just throwing it out there...as a possibility. I am sure SOMEONE will be along to refute it sooner or later.

All I want to know is how do you get sore hands from Association Football?!?!?
    but I had a bit of trouble keeping track of the intervals on the clock. lol.
    Confusing send-offs are a great way to keep sharp!

It's easier when an interval winds up on a 1/4 past.. a 1/2 half past... or a 1/4 to...
    Your multiples of 3 work out nicely...back on the top...right after number 3. (:55, :50, :45)
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Confusing send-offs are a great way to keep sharp!
    I guess it's helpful in preventing sprinter ADD. The other day I lost count doing less than 5 of something.
    I like that 5 gallon bucket tip, a good visual cue.

I think those creams work just about as well as the user wants them to work. The power of want is strong.

Sometimes when I'm feeling organized I type out my workout and add the interval watch time on my workout sheet. It's motivating and fun to keep up with the sheet, plus you always know where you are.
    We had a regular lap swimmer at the pool who used to come in with a handful of pebbles. He used to lay them out on the deck in a row...and shift them over one by one. Obviously to keep track of whatever distance he was going. Pretty clever.

Let's hope it never gets to that!
    I use the "torpedo" visual rule for kicks. Kick within the "tube" of your body... it's the same thing but some of the younger boys at swim team get torpedo analogy better....anything that involves explosion and mayhem sits well with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I like that 5 gallon bucket tip, a good visual cue.
    The guy that told me this is super smart and a real technician.
    We had a regular lap swimmer at the pool who used to come in with a handful of pebbles. He used to lay them out on the deck in a row...and shift them over one by one. Obviously to keep track of whatever distance he was going. Pretty clever.

Let's hope! That sounds like some marathon swimmer trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    I use the "torpedo" visual rule for kicks. Kick within the "tube" of your body... it's the same thing but some of the younger boys at swim team get torpedo analogy better....anything that involves explosion and mayhem sits well with them.
    That's a good one too. My daughter likes "explosion and mayhem," so I'll point that right out to her!

Great I only need 4 pebbles for the 200 BR...