View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Hurray for progress

Rate this Entry
I had a very enjoyable swim this morning—the first part with the PCST masters, then on my own for the last bit. It was a warm and foggy morning, Kelcee was on deck, and I had a couple of good workout mates to share the first couple of sets with. Here is how it went:

500 lcm warmup, various

3x thru (odd rounds FR, even IM-no-free):
3 x 50 drill @ 1:10
150 build @ 2:45

4x thru, with fins
2 x 50 kick-as-far-as-you-can-underwater + rest of length FR
1 x 50 sprint (FR on odd rounds, FL on even rounds)
[I took my fins off after 400 of this—I think I went faster on the fly sprint without fins than with.]

200 easy

2x thru (broken magic 700s)
50 FR @ :45
50 easy back @ 1:15
100 FR @ 1:30
150 FR @ 2:15
200 FR @ 3:00
[I have been struggling to get back to a fitness level where 1:30/lcm 100 pace feels taxing but doable. I’m not there yet, but I can see some progress. On the first round of this set I didn’t make all the FR times—I was -3, +1, +3, and +3 seconds on my 50/100/150/200 intervals. I didn’t think I could work harder on the second round, so I focused on finding what I could relax while still going fast, and that worked--I was able to go -2/-1/0/0.]

200 IM kick

12 x 100 @ 2:15:

• 3 FL/BK
  • 3 BK/BR
  • 3 BR/FR
  • 3 IM
  • Descend each set of 3

600 warmdown + play + figure-skating-inspired twirliness

That was it!

I’ve been away from my blog for the last week, but not from swimming—one of my goals while I’m down here is to get in a good bit of yardage, both in the pool and in the gulf when conditions are good. I signed up for my first swim of the season, Stage 6 of 8 Bridges in late June, so now there’s something long and fun to train for.

One of my other goals for this month has been to start back doing yoga. I was dismayed to discover a couple of months ago that I was no longer able to get up off the floor without using my arms. I decided that I really needed to do something about feeling so rickety and decrepit, so when I got here in early February I signed up for the all-you-can-asana monthly deal at the small yoga studio that is conveniently on the way to the pool. I’ve been going to 2 or 3 classes a week, trying different styles, and am enjoying it a lot. The classes are very small—3-5 people is not unusual—and we occasionally have live sitar music provided by a local kid. (It’s sometimes mindbending how much the “Redneck Riviera” has changed over the last few decades).

My body feels good, and seeing some progress in flexibility and strength is encouraging--plus I can once again stand up from sitting crosslegged with no help from my arms. Woohoo! Saturday, if the weather holds, I’ll get to try SUP yoga--that should be a blast.

Submit "Hurray for progress" to Digg Submit "Hurray for progress" to del.icio.us Submit "Hurray for progress" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hurray for progress" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm signed up for Stage 5, maybe I'll see you out there (hopefully not because I'm still swimming!)

"On the first round of this set I didn't make all the FR times—I was -3, +1, +3, and +3 seconds on my 50/100/150/200 intervals.
    I didn’t think I could work harder on the second round, so I focused on finding what I could relax while still going fast, and that worked--I was able to go -2/-1/0/0."

Amen to that! It has taken me a few years to realize what you state above. I never fail to be surprised when I swim faster by relaxing and focusing on being long and strong with good form.

PS - Just a little bit of yoga keeps my body happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgemelli
    I'm signed up for Stage 5, maybe I'll see you out there (hopefully not because I'm still swimming!)

"On the first round of this set I didn't make all the FR times—I was -3, +1, +3, and +3 seconds on my 50/100/150/200 intervals.
    I didn’t think I could work harder on the second round, so I focused on finding what I could relax while still going fast, and that worked--I was able to go -2/-1/0/0."

Amen to that! It has taken me a few years to realize what you state above. I never fail to be surprised when I swim faster by relaxing and focusing on being long and strong with good form.

PS - Just a little bit of yoga keeps my body happy.
    Kudos on signing up for the challenging stuff! You're going to rock Stage 5.
    I feel like the relaxing stuff is something I have to learn over and over.