View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Friday, Feb 21, 2014

Rate this Entry
by , February 21st, 2014 at 07:56 AM (296 Views)
Finally felt good to be in the water again, after a 3 week dry spell. My shoulder is still achy, but if I minimize the use of paddles, I can go longer w/out it aching (after the initial 600 of getting it warmed up). Swam mostly solo today, Bill beside me on one side, Dan on the other, each doing their own thing. I was fastest tho, lol!

600 - 100 free, 25 back/25 breast repeat
2 x 300 pull, first one w/out paddles
400 kick
100 easy
5 x 100 w/pullbuoy @ 1:25 holding ~ 1:20
5 x 100 swim @ 1:25 holding ~ 1:18ish
100 easy
5 x 100 pull @ 1:20 holding ~ 1:15's
5 x 100 steady state (w/paddles & fins) @ 1:20, holding ~ 1:10's
100 easy
3 x 300 breast/free (50 Br, 50 Fr, 100 Br, 50 Fr, 50 Br)
100 easy

I've been having a lot of trouble motivating myself to actually work the workouts lately. Haven't been able to pin down exactly the cause, but today, after a nice workout, where I was able to push myself to go harder (than usual), I've decided the problem stems from basically one factor: 1) I am forced to swim at Meyers w/out ATAC because of repairs to Trousdale, thus notoriously warmer pool temps, and since ATAC has moved to a different pool at an even earlier time, this means I don't have anyone my speed to push me - my friend Jenna is waaaay too fast, and Bill waaaay too slow, but today I had Dan right beside me, and he is "just right". Plus, throw in the fact that I'm staying up too late watching the Olympics, and you could say I'm burning the candle at both ends. Ah Ha. Problem solved. Well, it will be, as soon as they let us back in to Trousdale.

Submit "Friday, Feb 21, 2014" to Digg Submit "Friday, Feb 21, 2014" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Feb 21, 2014" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Feb 21, 2014" to Google

Updated February 21st, 2014 at 09:04 PM by Celestial (typos)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I can empathize with having lost your mojo. I feel similarly, and it definitely has to do with a tough pool situation here. Depressing pools make me depressed. I was wondering if it might also be our age? Dunno ...
    I relate to the speed problem. When I go to Atlanta I love swimming with Heidi because she's faster than me but not blow-me-out-of-the-water faster. I know that if I lived someplace with a team to train with, I would get a lot faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I can empathize with having lost your mojo. I feel similarly, and it definitely has to do with a tough pool situation here. Depressing pools make me depressed. I was wondering if it might also be our age? Dunno ...
    I've been wondering the same thing (age) - but then I see people my age & older who still really "get after it" and so I don't know. It's definitely an individual thing, everyone "ages" at their own pace. It seems to me that the older I get, the more perfect the conditions have to be for me to have a great workout, and what's worse, I have more requirements for perfection. Used to be I only needed cool water & a sunny sky. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I relate to the speed problem. When I go to Atlanta I love swimming with Heidi because she's faster than me but not blow-me-out-of-the-water faster. I know that if I lived someplace with a team to train with, I would get a lot faster.
    I wish I had a Masters Team to train with too! But we've got to work with what we have. I have a now semi-infamous saying, I know we're supposed to bloom where we're planted. But I want to be transplanted! I'm very fortunate to have Jenna to swim with, but she is literally 20 years younger than myself, and on top of her game right now. She is super driven almost every single day & uses sports as a physical outlet for the emotional stress in her life. I use sport to keep me emotionally balanced too, but I think there's a big difference between the two approaches. Kind of like eating to live vs. living to eat.