View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 73 - Friday

Rate this Entry
This has been a very long week. Last night we housed a Brazilian partner including some dinner and discussion late into the evening by my standard; namely 8.30pm. Also as I have written before Friday I go to the pool 30 minutes earlier than normal to allow a friend of mine to swim before she has to go to nursing school. I had a good nights sleep and actually woke an hour before my alarm was set and got up and had a coffee and read the papers online before heading to the pool. This mornings practice was pretty brutal and involved parachutes and sprint work.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45
6x100 kick on 1.40 holding 1.20 or better
12x50 drill build by 25 on 50

Main set
4x(100 free with parachute AFAP on 2mins, 2x50 easy on 1min)
200 easy
3x(50 fly kick, 25 fly, 50 fly drill, 25 fly, 25 fly kick underwater, 25 fly) with 20 seconds between rounds
100 free AFAP from block
75 free AFAP from block with 30 seconds of vertical fly kick arms above head 25 no breather
50 free AFAP from block with 10 squats, 25 no breather, 30 seconds vertical fly kick with hands above head, 25 no breather
25 free AFAP from block with 10 squats, 25 no breather 30 seconds of vertical fly kick with arms above head, 25 no breather

Warm down
400 easy

Total 5300scy

Despite being tired by the end of this workout I felt good. My legs were shaking so badly by the last fast stuff from the blocks I could hardly stand on the blocks. On the main set with parachute I held 1.10 on the 100s and 40s on the easy 50s. On the fast 100 at the end I went 51, 37 on the 75, 23 on the 50 and 10 on the 25. I was really pleased with today's workout.

Today flew by work wise but I headed out at 4.30 so I could make the warm up for the USAS meet where I was swimming the 1650. I had a good warmup but was still feeling the affects of this mornings workout. My arms were heavy and my legs in particular felt very heavy. Despite this I felt confident of having a good swim. After the first 200 I had the urge to get out but I stuck with it. I ended up going 17:30.12 on the 1650 which is about 20 seconds slower than I had hoped to swim earlier this week, but considering this mornings workout I was very happy. The Texas High School championship is this weekend so most of the really quick kids were not at the meet but despite this I had a good heat and had fun in a sick way.

Submit "Week 73 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 73 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 73 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 73 - Friday" to Google

Comments

Nice time on the 1650 considering the previous workout. Great job.

When you're using the chute, about how much time does it add above your normal times? Do you generally use it on the shorter sets - like 100's - rather than longer ones 200 and above?
    Yes, I think that is a very nice swim.
    Not too shabby for a workin' man!!
    Nice mile that's 5:18 pace per 500. Great swim considering you swam hard in the AM!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    When you're using the chute, about how much time does it add above your normal times? Do you generally use it on the shorter sets - like 100's - rather than longer ones 200 and above?
    It depends on the size of the cute. We used the yellow chutes yesterday and i am guessing these add about 15 seconds to my times. We have used the larger light blue chutes and these are really brutal" we have used chutes on 200s but nothing further. You definately could use them on longer sets but they are pretty hard on your shoulders and lungs. I have used the finis parachute drag suit and I prefer it. The challenge with the regular chutes for me is the kick. I tend to get tied up in the cord, but when I wear the parachute drag suit I don't hav this problem.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the congrats guys. I really had fun!