View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Super long time no blog and MEET REPORT!

Rate this Entry
by , February 24th, 2014 at 10:12 AM (358 Views)
Hello everyone! I have been swimming just as much (or as little?) as ever, but just not blogging about it!

Yours truly is going after QUANTITY this year! Feeling so crummy in the 50 free, I figure it's ok to switch gears and swim a schlew of events, hoping to hit some good times and/or top tens along the way! I have 174 TTT, inclusive of the preliminary SCM 2013. So with 26 to go, it's time to ramp up different events! Goal is to reach 200 mark ASAP.

I am going to both the South Central zone meet and infilitrating the AZ state meet, and yahoo, the official meet entry is finally UP!

This weekend I swam some "off events" at the DAMM one day SCY meet. It's hard to get really focused. My older daughter was at a sleepover, so there's that low grade anxiety and "on call" feeling of picking her up right around my last event. My younger daughter was "getting an award" at the Texas Black Film Festival - she entered the Sixth Floor Museum (of JFK shooting fame)'s youth oral history challenge and was a "finalist", where they included part of her interview in the official video!

Anyway, here is how I did:

100 breast 1:14.8
200 back 2:19.1
100 fly 1:04.1

The 200 back was the best. That will stand for a top ten, under 2:20 has always made it safely w/large cushion room. I can scratch that event off my list! The shocker was I went out in a 1:10, and I think it was like, a 1:10.4. So someone do the math, but I had to really boogie on the back end to get under 2:20!

The 100 breast/fly would make top ten - in a moderate year. But I don't know if that will be the case. Yours trulys' analysis is that no one is aging out, but at least 3 faster 44-now-45 girls are aging up, so I am resigned to swimming these 2 events again.

Given I have 2 big meets for top ten chances, I envision myself napping for long periods in my deck chair and lurking in the hot showers at the Woodlands (SC zones). It's going to be my 4 x 50 meet, plus whatever other events I can get for top tens. But I am going to approach this with Fortness - that is, make the 50's really, really count, and not worry too much about the quantity of events. I need to swim really fast to make 50 TTT's, so I don't want to get to piggy about other events!

Submit "Super long time no blog and MEET REPORT!" to Digg Submit "Super long time no blog and MEET REPORT!" to del.icio.us Submit "Super long time no blog and MEET REPORT!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Super long time no blog and MEET REPORT!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think it's good to switch things up when you're feeling stagnate. Sometimes you have to give an event a rest. The breaststrokers in your age group are really fast. The net two age groups 1:14 is golden.

I can't figure out how you can do such a fast 200 back on sprinty type training ... You must have a solid aerobic base from years and years of masters.
    I thought about you the other day Michelle. I practiced after over-indulging on too many jelly beans. These are the best I've ever had and they only have them once a year at my local grocery store so I go a little crazy. crappy practice by the way.
    How did did we miss each other at this one. I think I was was outside warming down in the 50m pool when the 200 back was on. I swam the 50 back and 50 fly and di not see you so just assumed you were not at the meet. See you at zones for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I think it's good to switch things up when you're feeling stagnate. Sometimes you have to give an event a rest. The breaststrokers in your age group are really fast. The net two age groups 1:14 is golden.

I can't figure out how you can do such a fast 200 back on sprinty type training ... You must have a solid aerobic base from years and years of masters.
    haha! I think a lot of it is just being comfortable on swimming on your back! Before I had my gall bladder out, I always wanted to turn over onto my tummy and got dizzy being on my back. But then I did lots of backstroke since it was the least painful on my belly button. I think that is really most of it!

Yes, this 45-49 age group is stacked with breastrokers. I don't think a 1:14.8 is going to make it! so ack, i'm going to swim it one more time in AZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I thought about you the other day Michelle. I practiced after over-indulging on too many jelly beans. These are the best I've ever had and they only have them once a year at my local grocery store so I go a little crazy. crappy practice by the way.
    That is too funny. Good jelly beans can be soooooo good. Especially the mixed flavors, and so you keep eating and eating and eating them to get the next great flavor! I was totally into Trader Joe's giant seedless raisins, but oh wow, it was like the firemen leaving the station about 2 hours later.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    haha! I think a lot of it is just being comfortable on swimming on your back! Before I had my gall bladder out, I always wanted to turn over onto my tummy and got dizzy being on my back. But then I did lots of backstroke since it was the least painful on my belly button. I think that is really most of it!

Yes, this 45-49 age group is stacked with breastrokers. I don't think a 1:14.8 is going to make it! so ack, i'm going to swim it one more time in AZ.
    HOORAY! The woodlands pool is very nice - hits all the high marks of fast pool, clean deck space, acceptable locker room, and best of all, ample free parking! see you there!!!!!!!