View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sunday's Lake Wash. Masters Meet Recap (and my 30 hour trip)

Rate this Entry
Well, everything started out normal, prepping for a snowy trip over the Cascade Mountains on the more northern mountain pass, Stevens Pass, which went fairly uneventful. Definitely a good day for the skiers up there!

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/...39248333_n.jpg

I ended up getting there about halfway through warmups, no big deal. I only warmed up about 300 yards or so, since my shoulder was being fussy anyway. Today was going to be "fun". At least I got to get out and see my swim friends though!

200 IM - 2:16.08
28.10 / 36.02 / 40.57 / 31.39
My shoulder twinged a bit during this, but overall I think my cardio got me. I was a bit conservative though

100 Fly - 1:01.01
28.15 / 32.86
I was out the same as the IM, but my shoulder was telling me things, so I just backed off and finished the race. This was my deciding factor on the 200 Fly later though

200 Free - 2:03.22
28.86 / 31.14 / 31.88 / 31.34
Good splits for a 200 Free, if you don't put a name with it! It was just off, I wasn't able to put my intensity in it that I usually would.

200 Fly - NS (my first scratched masters event)
I hate missing a race. It felt like back in college when I was sick at Nationals and had to scratch the 1650 when I was top seed.

500 Free - 5:23.71
29.11 / 32.14
32.72 / 32.92
32.99 / 33.07
33.04 / 33.11
32.40 / 32.21
At least I was able to throw in one respectable race for the weekend. I think I even beat my time from the Wenatchee meet last month.

--------------------------------

Afterwards, That Guy told me about the pass report on the internet...chains required to go home. Sooooo, off we went to find chains. All the tires stores were closed on a Sunday, but we ended up finding some at Fred Meyer. Then we stopped by That Guy's house for a bite to eat. Hot Dogs!! Yum!! I then got myself out the door a bit later trying to beat the weather, and try out my new chains.
Just as I got onto I-90, the electronic readerboard changed to "PASS CLOSED AHEAD". Not good. My phone rang at the same time. That Guy had the same info.

I ended up stopping in the last town prior to the pass, utilizing the free Wi-Fi at McD's, and talking with family about what to do. There was no estimate as to what time it may re-open, so I decided to make a trip to the south...all the way to Portland, where I stayed at hotel grandpa and grandma. That's 300 miles so far on the trip.
I got about 6-7 hours of sleep, and then up again for the next 300 miles, this time down the Columbia River gorge, and then north through south central Washington. Lots of rain, and minimal snow, but after 5 hours I made it back home.

Good news, I was able to return the chains at Fred Meyer here in Wenatchee and get my money back!! Now it's time to go to work...

What did I learn??? Listen to dad...

Submit "Sunday's Lake Wash. Masters Meet Recap (and my 30 hour trip)" to Digg Submit "Sunday's Lake Wash. Masters Meet Recap (and my 30 hour trip)" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday's Lake Wash. Masters Meet Recap (and my 30 hour trip)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday's Lake Wash. Masters Meet Recap (and my 30 hour trip)" to Google

Comments

Stevens Pass Ski Area is reporting they've gotten more than ten feet of snow in the last ten days. They've gone from a bad snow year to above average in the just the last two weeks!

Good for skiers, not so great for travelers...
    Wow, talk about going out of your way for a swim meet, I think you get the award for the weekend!

Not sure which of these is more appropriate...

Sounds like quite a good meet, to me at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Stevens Pass Ski Area is reporting they've gotten more than ten feet of snow in the last ten days. They've gone from a bad snow year to above average in the just the last two weeks!

Good for skiers, not so great for travelers...
    It was pretty heavy snow up there as I came across. As I did, I thought about what it may be like on the return trip...

Mission Ridge Ski Area in Wenatchee is also finally getting real snow. They've been making snow just to get people there, but finally we've had snow in the area, and a fair amount of it too, especially up there where the crazy folks go!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, talk about going out of your way for a swim meet, I think you get the award for the weekend!

Not sure which of these is more appropriate...

Sounds like quite a good meet, to me at least.
    I wouldn't say this was too far out of my way for a meet! I normally do the 3-4 hour trips over and back in the same day. Now almost 700 miles of driving in a 30 hour period is a bit much. Going straight into an 8 hour semi-physical work day right afterward was just awesome too!

I did fly down for 1 day of a 2 day meet at Mesa once a couple years ago. At least it was SCM, and I did get to meet PWB in person as well, and raced quite a few good races in the late September 108 degree heat! That may be more crazy.