View RSS Feed

The Labours of SwimStud

Well 19 of you read my blog yesterday...

Rate this Entry
...but nobody cared to comment.
LURKERS!

Today I had a tough guy swim sorta.
500 W/U
5 x 200 MF on 4:00
Back, Under-over, shooters by 25 on :30 (5:00)
Sides, Back
200 EZ
10 x 100 FR 1:45 held 1:30's and desc to 1:25 on the last two...this is impressive for me.
4 x 50 Fly Drill
8 x 25 Fly
400 EZ
Coach turned up for his swim while I was there and he pointed out a fault on my FR. I was leading my roll with my shoulder before my hand was in the water...so I worked on that and hey presto, I knocked off 2 strokes per length.
This was good news b/c that had been bugging me since I hurt my back, my Stroke count had gone up by 2.
In return I thwapped him on the hand while I did fly, but he and I both apologised and tried to take the blame.
A pride moment (I don't have any TT's or WR's to brag about) he said my BR was really good and quote: "That's the way it should be swum..." sure it isn't perfect but it made my day. Maybe I'm bragging, but this guy was invited to Olympic trials in the 50's for BR. Awesome coach.

After that I hit the gym:
Pull ups 10,8,6.
Chins 3 x 6.
Leg Press
Bench
Rows
Leg Extn
Leg Curl
Adduct
Abduct
Pec-Deck
Taught several classes and coached swim team...whaddya know we worked on BR for 40 minutes of the hour...

Submit "Well 19 of you read my blog yesterday..." to Digg Submit "Well 19 of you read my blog yesterday..." to del.icio.us Submit "Well 19 of you read my blog yesterday..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Well 19 of you read my blog yesterday..." to Google

Updated May 14th, 2009 at 09:10 AM by SwimStud

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We all have those blog posts that no one comments on. You just have to grin and bare in when it happens to you.
    hehe yesterday was a dull blog I must admit
    What's wrong with lurking?
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    hehe yesterday was a dull blog I must admit
    It was like 5 lines! :P

Life goes on even when one does not have WRs to assiduously promote.

Nice pick up by the coach on your freestyle.
    Well, that is 3 more than the number that looked at mine on Sunday. You're more popular!!
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Well, that is 3 more than the number that looked at mine on Sunday. You're more popular!!
    Stop bragging about all your views, you two!

And why does it still say 3 views?
    At least you're able to guilt people into leaving a comment!
    Sorry, its just that I'm still so mesmerized by your Swim Sloth I rarely make it to the blog!
    I open the recent blogs nearly every day, not sure if that logs as a read on each of the blogs I scroll through or not. I'm guessing not.

Good to hear about your Free getting some correction. A stroke per lap reduction like that will pay large dividends. As for tooting your own horn, we all need to do that once in a while when the opportunity presents itself. Your opportunity has arrived...seize the day.
    BTW, that's a pretty lame excuse for a cool down. 40 yards EZ?
    wow, go fishing for comments and look what happens
    Stud, you are a needy attention whore. Just sayin'

You should do more yardage BR. A lot more. Like a third of your total yardage. Or you could be like quicksilver and do almost all your yardage stroke
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain

You should do more yardage BR. A lot more. Like a third of your total yardage. Or you could be like quicksilver and do almost all your yardage stroke
    Glad everyone enjoyed the "comment begging" portion of the blog

Q, I have mixed feelings about doing BR. I've heard people say do drills but not too much full swim, save the knees etc. My big drops seems to have come on the back of good solid aerobic work and conditioning.
    Got some coach input int doing things like 150FR/50 BR at race pace so I can save the knees. Definitely should be doing more drills (I'll dig out my 4000 BR workout) but I have been working on FR mostly to improve it and get under 1:00 for 100yards.

I was just doing a 3 BR/3 FLY drill when the coach spotted it yesterday.
    And..."apologized" is spelled with a z here in the U.S. We ain't in the UK no more boy!:-)

lol

I actually agree with Q here. You need to do more BR than you're doing. BR is so technique based that it doesn't improve just based on aerobic conditioning. Well, the 200 might, but not the 50. There's nothing wrong with your knees right now, right? If you want/need to save the knees, do more of the breast-dolphin work with fins that Allen Stark does. (Although without a tech suit, the kick is relatively more important.)
    Updated May 14th, 2009 at 09:54 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    And..."apologized" is spelled with a z here in the U.S. We ain't in the UK no more boy!:-)
    You come over and try your Zee on fer size buster, you'll be getting some Zeds when I'm done

Haha you have no idea how much aggravation I have with spell check when it's on US-English (oxymoron there).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    lol

I actually agree with Q here. You need to do more BR than you're doing. BR is so technique based that it doesn't improve just based on aerobic conditioning. Well, the 200 might, but not the 50. There's nothing wrong with your knees right now, right? If you want/need to save the knees, do more of the breast-dolphin work with fins that Allen Stark does. (Although with a tech suit, the kick is relatively more important.)
    There is about as much chance of me in a new tech suit as there is me swimming :22.x in the 50 FR next season.

I def think the 200 drops aer based on my 5 x 200 FR set I've been doing... plus the general cardio work. I still dropped .6 on the 50 BR.
    Coach says I'm a mid distance not a sprinter...based on how I float. So 200 should be my forte...we'll see.
    I'll be doing BR workouts but not every day.

Still want 50 FR as a :25.x and the sub minute 100.
    Your times will drop by increasing aerobic conditioning when your aerobic conditioning sucks, after that you need to work on your stroke some.

Is there something wrong with your knees? And is the new narrow kick really that hard on the knees? I don't know, but I would think it would be less.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    There is about as much chance of me in a new tech suit as there is me swimming :22.x in the 50 FR next season.
    Sorry, lol, I meant WITHOUT a tech suit, your kick is more important.

Mid-distance, eh? Your times seem more classic sprinter. What is this "float" analysis?
    Your times will drop by increasing aerobic conditioning when your aerobic conditioning sucks, after that you need to work on your stroke some.

Is there something wrong with your knees? And is the new narrow kick really that hard on the knees? I don't know, but I would think it would be less.
    Nothing wrong, they're beautiful, and you've seen the pictures so you know it's true.
    I had a strain on the plica band a ear or two back. Now the outside is a little irritated b/c I strained it when my back was acting up....but it's healing and help up at zones well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast