View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Changing focus when frustrated

Rate this Entry
by , February 26th, 2014 at 12:52 PM (324 Views)
I've been kicking. ALOT. I got sick of trying to work through my freestyle sprint. From 2008-2011, i've been moaning of why I can't break 24 (24.4-24.1). From 2012 to present, I have only gone 25.3-25.6. I've decided to give it a break and do something different!

My new thing is to kick at least 1 full workout. I swim 3x per week. So on Mondays, I totally kick it. I usually use my Speedo Optimus fins and kick with or without a board (without is faster, so I use these if the interval is really tight). I started out by moving down a lane, going last, and dropping the last 50 if needed. But now I worked my way back up to staying in my own lane and making the swim intervals. It's fun to have my head out of the water and I can look around, but usually I am huffing and puffing and I have to concentrate really hard to kick fast.

My conditioning is really good because of all this self-inflicted kicking. (Probably why I could neg split a 200 back). Just like all the stories you hear about people getting injured, only kicking for months, then coming back with awesomeness because they were forced to kick so much - that's me in a mini-way. The other benefit is the alternate days I actually do most of the whole workout. Even the NEXT lane over marvels and makes comments about how I did the entire set. My arms almost always feel fresh because they were in a perpetual streamline the day before.

Day 2 of the week I try to make sure I get in one of the IM days (Tues or Thurs). Since I am swimming more events, it just makes sense to do more stroke work, plus I really don't want to go down the freestyle path unless absolutely necessary. I also find an unaccustomed desire to swim it all, swim fast, and with a positive can-do attitude. It's a great motivator when you know this is the only practice you are going to swim the 1 hour with your arms!

Day 3 is a mixed bag. I also make sure that I get in short, burst, pure sprinting and/or kicking, no matter what. If the workout isn't sprint, i'll modify the set, or if there is a set in particular I want to do, then I will swim on my own.

I really like the 3 days per week focus. It makes each workout more purposeful and I can do different things! I'll probably stick to this for awhile. Next season, I may have to do more swimming bits, since i'd like to attempt the 200 free and 400 IM. In 2015 it will be a full 20 years since I last swam a real 200 free, and 10 full years since I swam the 400 IM!

I'm still doing P90X3! I am on the final month! It's so much fun that I am going to do another round after I finish this one! But I haven't lost any weight. Probably because I haven't changed my eating habits and I really didn't start it as a weight loss program. I love junk food too much.

Submit "Changing focus when frustrated" to Digg Submit "Changing focus when frustrated" to del.icio.us Submit "Changing focus when frustrated" to StumbleUpon Submit "Changing focus when frustrated" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good for you! Kicking is the best and should help all your events. I wish I had a team to train with. I would definitely switch to some aerobic training for awhile to help the mental malaise. Alas, there is no pm team to train with here; I coach it.

If you're gonna do 400 IM, you might as well throw in 200 evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Good for you! Kicking is the best and should help all your events. I wish I had a team to train with. I would definitely switch to some aerobic training for awhile to help the mental malaise. Alas, there is no pm team to train with here; I coach it.

If you're gonna do 400 IM, you might as well throw in 200 evil!
    haha! Is that evilbreast or evilfly? IMO 200 evilfree is even harder! That's why I haven't swum in it 19 years!!! too bad we don't train together. that would be fun!!!!
    Yes! A training partner would be another good solution. I still miss Speedo.

I couldn't finish 200 evilfly, so evil breast is harder. I did a 200 breast once as a 100 split request. Never again!
    Kick training is good for you. Even a distance guy like me says so! I'm going to be doing a lot more kicking lately as well, taking it easy on my shoulder until (hopefully) the pain goes away.

I also agree with the 200 evilfree as being a nasty event. When swum right, it really really hurts.
    Aha! Great idea of just doing a kick set. The guys are always beating me when we do these. Maybe I need to start doing kick workouts on the side and get those legs built up. Hmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Kick training is good for you. Even a distance guy like me says so! I'm going to be doing a lot more kicking lately as well, taking it easy on my shoulder until (hopefully) the pain goes away.

I also agree with the 200 evilfree as being a nasty event. When swum right, it really really hurts.
    Yes, you've been "cross training" with "home repair/remodel workouts"!!!! So you've got conditioning, balance, hammer arm strength.....so yes, kicking to take it easy on your shoulders!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Aha! Great idea of just doing a kick set. The guys are always beating me when we do these. Maybe I need to start doing kick workouts on the side and get those legs built up. Hmmm...
    Hi flystorms! One reason why it's so hard to kick is we just don't do enough - and the coaches say that they don't give more because everyone squaks about how they won't get their yardage in. So you have to really make that effort yourself. Use fins! But you have to set really high goals and work it really hard. I think a base line is to get your speed up to your swim speed with medium fins, and then either go to smaller fins or work your way to faster intervals from there. I am still shy of my base swim time, but I can make the same intervals. Now I just need to get faster! Just don't kick and use fins as a crutch.