View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Rainy day workout

Rate this Entry
Yesterday’s planned swim in the gulf turned into a meet-and-greet with the hordes of small translucent jellyfish that had amassed just beyond the sandbar. The water was positively thick with them. It was so clear that I could see them in great detail, their white ribs and borders pulsating gently or simply floating along, closed up like little drink parasols. The sight brought out my inner naturalist, and I experimented to see what would make them pulsate—a gentle touch on their back (no), additional pressure on their backs (yes), water directed at their back or undersides (usually), water moving nearby (more often than not, but I couldn’t figure out if directing water from different directions made them travel in different directions), bubbles directed up at them (yes). It was a fun way to spend some time in the gulf on a warm sunny day when I wasn’t feeling much like swimming seriously among gelatinousness.

Once the afternoon cooled off I followed up with a short solo pool session:

1000 scy warmup

1 x 100 FR @ 1:20
1 x 50 ez @ 1:00
2 x 100 FR @ 1:20
3 x 100 FR @ 1:20
2 x 100 FR @ 1:20
1 x 100 FR @ 1:20

100 warmdown + play

Today it was colder, rainy, and windy. I went to the pool in the afternoon, and did the following solo:

1000 scy warmup

5 x 500 @ 8:00, as follows

• 200 FR + 100 BK + 200 FR
  • 150 FR + 50 BK + 100 IM + 50 BK + 150 FR
  • 100 FR + 50 BK + 200 IM + 50 BK + 100 FR
  • 150 FR + 50 BK + 300 IM + 50 BK + 50 FR
  • 50 BK + 400 IM + 50 BK

12 x 50 K @ 1:00:

• 1-4 IMO
  • 5-8 RIMO
  • 9-12 FL/BK, BR/FR, FR/BR, BK/FL

250 warmdown + play

My time here is almost up—I head back to New York this weekend. The last few days are always a little bittersweet—amongst the goodbyes and the packing, and trying to put together meals that use up the remaining food, I’m also looking to enjoy the outdoors all I can before heading back to the cold up north. It’s definitely been a good month here, but I’m feeling eager to get back to my regular routine in the city soon!

Submit "Rainy day workout" to Digg Submit "Rainy day workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Rainy day workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Rainy day workout" to Google

Updated February 27th, 2014 at 07:32 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

How fun and interesting to "play" with the jellies! I fear those things, but it sounds like you had a good time with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    How fun and interesting to "play" with the jellies! I fear those things, but it sounds like you had a good time with them.
    By the time I started playing with them I had had enough contact with them to be confident they weren't the stingy kind--I definitely stay away from those!