View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 74 - Thursday

Rate this Entry
I traveled to DC on Tuesday night and due to work conflicts was unable to get in the pool yesterday. I hate missing a workout and always feel guilty when I miss. In a sick way I am now afraid of feeling like I did when I first got back into the pool and despite knowing my logic makes no sense at all I seldom take any time off because of this fear of feeling crappy in the water.

Today I swum with the Alexandria Masters team I have swum with several times previously when I visited DC. They are a super group who are very friendly and as I have written previously, I highly recommend them if you ever visit the DC area. Today my normal training partner Katie McWilliams(formerly Katie Gilmore) was coaching so I pretty much trained on my own which was more than fine. It felt good just being in the water. I had a good nights sleep and was excited to get in the pool today. My left shoulder is still a little sore in the pool but once I am done with my workout I have no lingering pain or discomfort so suspect itís a pull rather than any tear or long term injury and will continue to ice.

Warm up
200 swim
200 kick
200 drill

Main Sets
8x(75 smooth on 1 min, 25 fast on 30)
100 easy
10x100 on 1.20 swum as (4x100 holding 1650 pace plus 2, 3x100 holding 1650 pace plus 1, 2x100 holding 1650 pace, 1x100 under 1650 pace)
100 easy
5x(50 on 40 swum at 500 pace, 100 on 1.10 swum at 500 pace, 50 on 40 swum at 500 pace, 50 on 45 easy)
100 easy

Warm down
300 easy

Total 4250scy

I had a good practice today and held a high tempo throughout todays workout. The water was a little warmer than I am used to so I looked like a raspberry when I was done but felt pretty good. On the transition set of 100ís I held 46-48ís on the smooth 75s and 12-13s on the fast 25s. The 10x100s was a different sort of set to our normal 5,4,3,2,1 test set but felt somewhat similar in that the intensity increased as we went through the set, however what was nice today was that I did not get less rest as the set went on like our test set. I held 1.03ís on the 4x100s, 1.01ís and 1.02ís on 3x100s, 1min on the 2x100s and 58 on the last 100. I felt pretty good, although at this point I was pretty hot. On the next set I held 29ís on the 30ís and 1min on the 100s. I am back tomorrow for more Alexandria swimming and I am contemplating doing a 2hr workout but will see how my shoulder feels.

I head home tomorrow night and I am looking forward to seeing my wife and kids(and of course swimming in my home pool).

Submit "Week 74 - Thursday" to Digg Submit "Week 74 - Thursday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 74 - Thursday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 74 - Thursday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Be careful with the shoulder and don't over do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Be careful with the shoulder and don't over do it!
    Thanks.

I don't enjoy traveling and I am looking forward to getting home tomorrow.

How has your week been?
    So long and exhausting! It's been quiet the busy week I'm so ready for my spring break! How's your week been?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I don't enjoy traveling and I am looking forward to getting home tomorrow.
    Me, as well. The only thing that really makes travel somewhat sane is getting in a swim each day, so I know how you feel about missing (though, I seem to miss a lot more days when traveling than you do!).

Safe travels.
    I remember the name Katie Gilmore bc I beat her by a mere .01 in the 25 breast at the Sprint Classic!

I hate traveling for any reason except for a long vacation. Messes me up and I miss my own bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I remember the name Katie Gilmore bc I beat her by a mere .01 in the 25 breast at the Sprint Classic!

I hate traveling for any reason except for a long vacation. Messes me up and I miss my own bed.
    Katie swims everything but is primarily a distance swimmer. She was next to Kirk Nelson at Spring nationals last year in the 1650; she went mid 17 minutes on her 1650. She also swims a mean 400 IM. Outside of swimming she is a terrific person and I really enjoy training with her when i am in Alexandria. The whole group in Alexandria are very welcoming.

I know what you mean about the bed part. Nothing beats sleeping in your own bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Me, as well. The only thing that really makes travel somewhat sane is getting in a swim each day, so I know how you feel about missing (though, I seem to miss a lot more days when traveling than you do!).

Safe travels.
    thanks Patrick. I have three big things that I use to continually motivate me to get to the pool early in the morning:

1. My BHAG around worlds this summer.
    2. I don't ever want to feel like I did the first month I got back in the pool as a masters swimmer.
    3. I know if miss one morning because I decide bed feels better than swimming, I will justify my next miss with I did it before and it was ok.

That all said it's still not easy to get my butt up when I am traveling.