View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Feb. 27-28

Rate this Entry
by , February 28th, 2014 at 05:04 PM (375 Views)

Thursday:

Did a mostly easy 1700 with Jimby at Sewickley

Friday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewickley (Pitt is closed)

Warm up:

600 various
100 scull
100 fly drills
8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :45
50 EZ

Main Sets:

4 x 25 burst + cruise
100 EZ

4 x (fly/back kick/breast/free)
3 x 50 @ 100 pace @ 1:00-1:30
1 x 50 @ 100 pace
1 x 50 EZ

100 EZ

20 x 25 kick 2/fins @ 100 pace @ :40
-- It was difficult to tell my times on the analog clocks. Pretty sure I missed on #13 and skipped 14. The first few of these are so easy and then the quads start to burn.

350 EZ

Total: 3200

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Didn't kill it today; hoping to get a good workout in with one of my masters swimmers tomorrow at Pitt.

Having just discussed the topic of viewing your workouts negatively or positively, I read this blog post with interest: http://www.eetukarvonen.com

And another article on HIT training: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ef=health&_r=1. Small sample size but it does suggest that short bursts are better than longer efforts for endurance and that recovery is really important.

Article on stretching, I really think I need to do more of this (especially for fly): http://swimswam.com/3-reasons-why-st...ery-is-a-must/

Submit "Feb. 27-28" to Digg Submit "Feb. 27-28" to del.icio.us Submit "Feb. 27-28" to StumbleUpon Submit "Feb. 27-28" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I am intrigued by the HIT focus on endurance work. I don't think I'm totally training HIT this way as I still do some longer stuff at lower than race pace intensity, but most of my fall was focused on repeats at race pace of 50s or 100s and I was able to rip off fast times from the 50s to the 400 IM. My 400 free, though, suffered.

As I look ahead to Nationals, I'll be doing my own, uncontrolled experiment on an n of 1 where the vast majority of my workouts will be race pace focused on 50s and 100 distances; at an interim check point in early April, I will see how well that works for a 1650 and a 1000.
    I like the HIIT article, too. The question then is, how many is several times a week? 2 or 5? Maybe 3? And realistically, try to hit 2 and then maybe a 3rd?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I am intrigued by the HIT focus on endurance work. I don't think I'm totally training HIT this way as I still do some longer stuff at lower than race pace intensity, but most of my fall was focused on repeats at race pace of 50s or 100s and I was able to rip off fast times from the 50s to the 400 IM. My 400 free, though, suffered.

As I look ahead to Nationals, I'll be doing my own, uncontrolled experiment on an n of 1 where the vast majority of my workouts will be race pace focused on 50s and 100 distances; at an interim check point in early April, I will see how well that works for a 1650 and a 1000.
    But it sounds from the article like the longer slow stuff is the perfect complement to HIT. Doing too much HIT, you lose endurance (according to the article, with a small sample study).

Michael Andrew made the short stuff work for his 400 IM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I like the HIIT article, too. The question then is, how many is several times a week? 2 or 5? Maybe 3? And realistically, try to hit 2 and then maybe a 3rd?
    Probably 3x. I usually try to do 4x, but I am focused on sprinting, not endurance. Also, how many 30 second fast repeats can one do? And the article doesn't really specify the rest period.