View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 74 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
I had a great nights sleep in my own bed last night. I got back from DC early evening and my wife ordered Indian food for dinner. Quite the week of food this week with Thai, Indian and Ethiopian. Today's workout was fun. We did a meet warmup and then a 200 from the blocks with the electronic timing system.

Warm up
1000 swim with snorkel swum as 75 free, 25 streamline kick
10x50 free on 40 build
100 easy

Main set
200 fast from block
10x50 drill swim by 25 on 1 min
8x100 with snorkel on 1.10
10x50 streamline kick on 55

Warm down
100 easy

Total 3700scy

I went 1.52.13 from the blocks on the fast 200: out in 55.2 to the feet, and back in 56.93. I deliberately held back on the first 100 but did not expect this quick. I thought it would be a mid 1.55 so was very happy with this especially the splits. The rest of the workout was pretty easy stuff. I held 1.03-1.04 on the 8x100s.

I lifted after practice today and did my normal 3 rounds, with round being 10 reps per machine at 80% effort, second round 8 reps at max and the third round was 6 reps at fail. I also warmed up with bands which was recommended to me by the sports physiologist at Coopers Clinic. I finished with Vasa Swim trainer for 10 mins( this was hard today)

3x(inclined bench press, bench press, military press, lower back machine, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull down hands inside, lat pull down hands outside)

I feel stiff and suspect this will remain for a few days. A good workout today and I was particularly happy with my 200.

Submit "Week 74 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 74 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 74 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 74 - Saturday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I wonder if you are exuding curry smells when sweating now? hahaha!
    10 minutes on the vasa can seem like a long time. I get bored and ready to jump off after 2 minutes!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I wonder if you are exuding curry smells when sweating now? hahaha!
    POI think the smell when I was sweating was the least of the problems. I was jet propelled today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    10 minutes on the vasa can seem like a long time. I get bored and ready to jump off after 2 minutes!
    I was up to almost 20 minutes before Christmas but its going to take me quite a while to get back there. I don't find it as much boring as just plain hard physically.
    Chowmi and Stew - can you post up what you are generally doing on the Vasa. I dug mine out of the basement this morning and intend to start using it on days when I don't swim. It's been resting down there for along time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Chowmi and Stew - can you post up what you are generally doing on the Vasa. I dug mine out of the basement this morning and intend to start using it on days when I don't swim. It's been resting down there for along time!
    Currently I am just trying to build up my dryland back after my taper meet at the end of January. Also keep in mind my events are mid to long distance oriented so my use of the vasa is definately oriented to these events. What I was doing upto Christmas was a couple of minute easy warmup on the trainer and then using it for 20 minutes with my tempo trainer set to 75-80 beats(which is a pretty high tempo) and i tried keeping pace. By the end of the 20 mins my arms were very sore snd i was sweating pretty profusely.

I have used two different types of vasa. The one I tend to use is the one with hand paddles where you pretty much stay stationary but use your arms in a free type pull. The other is where you pull yourself up and back and can adjust the resistance through a bungee connected to the back of the vasa so you can increase the resistance by using a thicker band. This one is way hard and I also find it hurts my shoulders. I know i am not very adventurous but I hope this helps.
    Suh-weet 200, impressive time and more impressive splits. That's so cool you get some options to do timed swims in workouts with the timing system.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Suh-weet 200, impressive time and more impressive splits. That's so cool you get some options to do timed swims in workouts with the timing system.
    Thanks. I was not expecting to swim a 200 like this, this morning and it felt good. I was very happy with the splits and it bodes well for the future in this event. Our kids who are heading to TAGS next week were in before us and were doing timed swims also so we just used what had already been setup for them. I still go back to how awesome our facility is and how lucky the kids are. In most cases they just don't know how lucky they really have it with our setup and coaches.
    Stewart I sent you a response to your message. Not sure if it is going thru?